Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
Looks like previous estimates were accurate:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/08/b...-january-2014/
The $34,500 price Autoblog claimed is after the $7,500 federal tax credit. The Base MSRP is going to be around $42,000. BMW spokesman Dave Buchko confirmed that to Edmunds when he told them: "The base price of the i3 in the U.S., not including the tax incentive, will be in the low-to-mid-$40,000s,"
      07-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Guess I won't be buying one then...

Can't rationalize buying a supermini/compact in the 40s. Especially when I could get a X3 or 3er for that price. Maybe if it was high 20s, I would do it.

I don't know what I was expecting.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
The $34,500 price Autoblog claimed is after the $7,500 federal tax credit. The Base MSRP is going to be around $42,000. BMW spokesman Dave Buchko confirmed that to Edmunds when he told them: "The base price of the i3 in the U.S., not including the tax incentive, will be in the low-to-mid-$40,000s,"
D'oh! If true, that just about erases my interest in the i3. $7,500 of tax incentive at 20% effective tax rate is a paltry $1,500, or less than I'd expect my loyalty to my dealer to net me.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
D'oh! If true, that just about erases my interest in the i3. $7,500 of tax incentive at 20% effective tax rate is a paltry $1,500, or less than I'd expect my loyalty to my dealer to net me.
No, it's a tax credit. You get the entire $7,500 off your federal tax liability provided you paid $7,500 in federal tax the year you purchase it. You don't use $7,500 as deduction, It really is $7,500 in your pocket as long as you would have paid more than $7,500 in federal tax that year. Unless you didn't earn much money, you probably qualify for the entire $7,500.
      07-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
No, it's a tax credit. You get the entire $7,500 off your federal tax liability provided you paid $7,500 in federal tax the year you purchase it. You don't use $7,500 as deduction, It really is $7,500 in your pocket as long as you would have paid more than $7,500 in federal tax that year. Unless you didn't earn much money, you probably qualify for the entire $7,500.
Thank you, paying attention again.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep

US MSRP is $41,350

BMW North America sent out a press release at 3:00am this morning announcing the base MSRP for the i3 will be $41,350. With the mandatory destination and handling ($925) the final price before any options and tax incentives is $42,275. No surprises here. So after deducting for the federal tax credit an i3 can be had for $34,775 which in my opinion is good enough to give the i3 a real chance at volume sales here in the US if people can get past the controversial styling. There is still a lot to find out like the EPA range rating and how the range extender works, and I expect to get a lot of those questions answered on the 29th(next Monday) when the official introduction of the i3 takes place so stay tuned. Here's the official Press release from BMW NA:

US Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price just $41,350

The Ultimate Driving Machine® in a new era of sustainability

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – 3:00 am EDT/12:00 am PDT July 22, 2013… BMW today announced pricing for the ground-breaking BMW i3 electric vehicle. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (without Destination & Handling) in the US will be $41,350, before any federal or state incentives. The Destination & Handling fee in the US is currently $925.
“The BMW i3 heralds the dawn of a new era for individual mobility and for the BMW Group. True to a genuine BMW, the BMW i3 has strong emotional appeal, outstanding product substance and a guarantee of sheer driving pleasure,” said Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management, Sales and Marketing BMW. “With this leading-edge vehicle and attractive price, we will provide customers with a compelling offer for electromobility.”
The BMW i3’s 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque hybrid-synchronous electric motor, developed and produced by BMW, is electrified by a 22-kWh lithium-ion battery, good for 80-100 miles of emission-free driving. Designed from the ground up to be an electric car, the BMW i3 uses the Industry’s first mass produced carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) passenger cell mounted on an aluminum chassis.
The BMW i3 will offer interior space comparable to the legendary BMW 3 Series on a shorter overall body. Its 32.3-foot turning circle and a relatively long wheelbase make it agile and engaging to drive, yet ideally suited to driving in dense urban areas.
Quick and convenient charging is possible either with the home charging station supplied by BMW i or at any public charging station that uses a Level 2 SAE J1772 charging system. DC fast charging, using the SAE DC Combo-Fast Charger, will be available as an option. From a public fast-charging station, it will provide an 80 percent charge from a fully depleted battery in just 20 minutes.
BMW i’s commitment to sustainable urban mobility encompasses the i3 production facilities, where hydro-electric, wind and solar power are used to power the CFRP production facilities in Moses Lake, Washington and the Leipzig, Germany assembly line. Sustainable materials are also used for the BMW i3 interior upholstery and trim.
The BMW i3 will make its world debut at three simultaneous events in New York, London and Beijing on Monday, July 29. It will arrive in US showrooms in the second quarter of 2014.
Closed Thread