F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Vehicle Power While Coding?
proTUNING Freaks

07-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
rdubmd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M-Sport PPK

Vehicle Power While Coding?

I was just wondering what people use to keep the car powered so their battery doesn't get too drained while coding? Are there techniques to limit the amount of time the car need to be powered?

I was looking at http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...-SE-1555A.html or http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-INC.../dp/B002Z2Z7ZY and didn't know if I needed something like this while coding?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
amf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i sport

could you use a 12v car battery charger hooked up while coding?

Last edited by amf; 07-08-2013 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: pic added
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I just code with the car running.

With the engine running, there are no worries about draining the battery or having the car shut itself off after 15 minutes.

They only ECU you can't code with the engine running is the DME and I don't touch that.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
I coded many cars while on battery power and never had any issues. Most of these batteries will last more than an hour on battery life as long you don't turn on the headlights. If you're in a garage with no sunlight, just make sure you turn the headlight knob to the 0 position so that the headlights are off and don't drain the battery. If the car is low on battery, you'll get a warning on the instrument cluster anyways and that's when you should stop or turn on the engine.

What I recommend though, if you're going to code multiple ECUs on battery power, turn off the car and turn it back on after you're finished coding before going to the next one. That will prevent the car from going to sleep if you're making a lot of changes to multiple ECUs.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
I coded many cars while on battery power and never had any issues. Most of these batteries will last more than an hour on battery life as long you don't turn on the headlights. If you're in a garage with no sunlight, just make sure you turn the headlight knob to the 0 position so that the headlights are off and don't drain the battery. If the car is low on battery, you'll get a warning on the instrument cluster anyways and that's when you should stop or turn on the engine.

What I recommend though, if you're going to code multiple ECUs on battery power, turn off the car and turn it back on after you're finished coding before going to the next one. That will prevent the car from going to sleep if you're making a lot of changes to multiple ECUs.
And I end up remotely helping several people every week fix there cars due to power loss while coding, and their ensuing corrupted CAFD's.

There is no reason to not have the engine running unless you are coding DME, which is a rarity anyway. Run the engine, and you have nothing to worry about. If not, put the car on a charger. Anything else, and you are taking a risk, and for no benefit whatsoever.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
And I end up remotely helping several people every week fix there cars due to power loss while coding, and their ensuing corrupted CAFD's.

There is no reason to not have the engine running unless you are coding DME, which is a rarity anyway. Run the engine, and you have nothing to worry about. If not, put the car on a charger. Anything else, and you are taking a risk, and for no benefit whatsoever.
Good advice from the expert
I'll run the engine from now on.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Good advice from the expert
I'll run the engine from now on.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
rdubmd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M-Sport PPK

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone for their input, especially the expert, shawnsheridan, for the final word!
Appreciate 0