F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Clear Bra DIY
GetBMWParts

06-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Clear Bra DIY

I'm going to put a clear bra on my E92. Over the years I've seen many posts about folks seeking installers, and I have found an installer in my area. I also noticed that one website seems to think that one doesn't have to use a professional installer and that it can be effectively done as a DIY. (http://www.invisiblemask.com/howto.html)

I'm seeking input from folks who have done it as DIY Specifically, I'd like to know what you can offer in the way of "lessons learned" and "if I knew then what I know now, I would have...." thoughts that resulted from your having done it installed it yourself.

Some potential examples of the kinds of things I'm seeking to find out about as potential pitfalls, or factors to consider if not specifically pitfalls, might be:
  • It takes a very long time time to install it because you have to....
  • The adhesive is very unforgiving and you'll mess up the bra if you very careful
  • It's not hard to install it, but if you have a tiny divot in the surface, air will be trapped there and eventually it will cause the bra to start bubbling
  • Be sure to use some dish washing liquid to remove any wax on the relevant surface of the car. The adhesive doesn't stick as well to wax.
  • Beware of installing it over an area where the paint has already been chipped or is peeling. It's not an issue for applying the bra, but if and when you want to remove it, that chipped or otherwise damaged paint will peel away and act just like a run in a lady's stocking.
  • Be very careful when handling the parts of the bra having corners. Even though it's quite good at protecting your car, you can start a tear at a corner far more easily than you'd suspect.
  • I watched my installer put it on my car and had I known it's so easy to do, I sure would have done it myself.
  • When you order the clear bra, what the installation instructions/kit doesn't tell is....
  • Such and such is a PITA that can be mitigated to some degree by....
I will then use the facts folks provide to make a decision about whether to have it done by an installer, or whether to make it a project for my son and myself. I can pay to have it installed, but I see no point in doing so if installing it isn't laden with too many gotchas.

(Note: this same inquiry is also in the E9x forum, so no need to post in both places.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'm going to put a clear bra on my E92. Over the years I've seen many posts about folks seeking installers, and I have found an installer in my area. I also noticed that one website seems to think that one doesn't have to use a professional installer and that it can be effectively done as a DIY. (http://www.invisiblemask.com/howto.html)

I'm seeking input from folks who have done it as DIY Specifically, I'd like to know what you can offer in the way of "lessons learned" and "if I knew then what I know now, I would have...." thoughts that resulted from your having done it installed it yourself.

Some potential examples of the kinds of things I'm seeking to find out about as potential pitfalls, or factors to consider if not specifically pitfalls, might be:
  • It takes a very long time time to install it because you have to....
  • The adhesive is very unforgiving and you'll mess up the bra if you very careful
  • It's not hard to install it, but if you have a tiny divot in the surface, air will be trapped there and eventually it will cause the bra to start bubbling
  • Be sure to use some dish washing liquid to remove any wax on the relevant surface of the car. The adhesive doesn't stick as well to wax.
  • Beware of installing it over an area where the paint has already been chipped or is peeling. It's not an issue for applying the bra, but if and when you want to remove it, that chipped or otherwise damaged paint will peel away and act just like a run in a lady's stocking.
  • Be very careful when handling the parts of the bra having corners. Even though it's quite good at protecting your car, you can start a tear at a corner far more easily than you'd suspect.
  • I watched my installer put it on my car and had I known it's so easy to do, I sure would have done it myself.
  • When you order the clear bra, what the installation instructions/kit doesn't tell is....
  • Such and such is a PITA that can be mitigated to some degree by...
I will then use the facts folks provide to make a decision about whether to have it done by an installer, or whether to make it a project for my son and myself. I can pay to have it installed, but I see no point in doing so if installing it isn't laden with too many gotchas.

(Note: this same inquiry is also in the E9x forum, so no need to post in both places.)

Thanks for your help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

Wow, didn't know the bra could be had for a low price (relatively)! Might have to give this a shot. Thanks!
      06-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

^^ YW

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
I did my clear bra with the help of a buddy. The Bra is super easy to put on, just soak the sticky side with soapy water, apply to the car and then use normal water and a squeege to get all the bubles out. The biggest problem I had was even though the kit I received was laser cut to fit my M-Sport bumper, I ended up slicing up the bra into sections to get it to fit correctly. My point is that these bra's even though they are suppose to be exact fit's they arent allways and it's better to stratigically cut it into pieces before you try applying it.

I slices the spliters, and the lower bumper bits from the top and center. Below is a pic of my work one week after it was applied.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well done. That's the thing about clear bras...if one installs it successfully, it looks like nothing was done. It's one case where pics don't help much...LOL

It's nice to hear that it can he successfully handled as a DIY. I'm sure others here will that good to know.

I already had an installer do mine, but thanks for sharing all the same. It's useful info and I appreciate that you shared it with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng01 View Post
I did my clear bra with the help of a buddy. The Bra is super easy to put on, just soak the sticky side with soapy water, apply to the car and then use normal water and a squeege to get all the bubles out. The biggest problem I had was even though the kit I received was laser cut to fit my M-Sport bumper, I ended up slicing up the bra into sections to get it to fit correctly. My point is that these bra's even though they are suppose to be exact fit's they arent allways and it's better to stratigically cut it into pieces before you try applying it.

I slices the spliters, and the lower bumper bits from the top and center. Below is a pic of my work one week after it was applied.

Appreciate 0