E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > new air filter restores the mpgs

06-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

new air filter restores the mpgs

Since my commute is pretty consistent, I notice trends....once again, over 3 wks., suddenly my avg. mpg is around 18, when normally it's 21.3 to 21.7. I know this from 3 yrs. of driving the same route. It's a combo of city and then a stretch of interstate.

Last time this happened, I popped a Mahle Knecht in and voila, the mpgs went back up. This time, I popped a MANN in and the same thing happened--like clockwork, the mpgs gravitated towards 21.x

The odd thing is the last first was used for 29k. This last one, I only got 9,500 miles out of it. Again, that filter material must be so fine, I don't really see much trapped in it. But I did see sand and some debris sitting in the bottom of my air cleaner housing.

A new air filter is relatively cheap, I strongly urge anyone complaining about poor mpgs to try replacing it. And again, you have to measure the mpgs with the same trip, over weeks, imho.......

p.s. the highway run was restored to around 31.7'ish, and that's not granny driving, some 80 mph cruising included.....
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Nice tip, though honestly having your mpg figures is most useful. Gives a much clearer idea of round about what we should expect mileage wise. Cheers.