E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Xenon Dynamic vs Dynamic Curve Headlights

06-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Arrow Xenon Dynamic vs Dynamic Curve Headlights

I recently got a set of Euro Spec Bi-Xenon Dynamic headlights from eBay for retrofit project. I know they have auto height adjustment configuration, but then when I went to ECS Tuning website, they sell a set that is Dynamic w/ Curve.

So there are two types of Dynamic headlights? One with just height adjustment and, another with both height and curve adjustment?

I'm really interested in the curve technology. The height adjustment will be coded out. If all Dynamic headlights come with Curve, I'll need to make a custom wiring harness. Have any advice on custom wiring harness?

Thanks in advance your help

===============[EDIT 6/22/2013]===============

Here is what I found (ChuckBMW3 is right). There are several types of headlights. What you really have to figure out is what footwell module is equipped with your car with existing configuration. Without the right footwell module, your headlights will not work properly due to circuitry and wiring being different for different types of headlights.

Footwell modules are marked with the following letters:
  • LOW == without fog lamps, without XENON, without AHL
  • NSW, BASIS == with fog lamps, without XENON, without AHL
  • XE == with fog lamps, with XENON, without AHL
  • AHL == with fog lamps, with XENON, with AHL

The Euro-Spec Bi-Xenon headlights I got from eBay didn't have a label, but they were brand new (probably stolen lol) and the guy barely spoke English so I didn't know if they were AHL or just XE. This is important because a new footwell module will be needed to match the configuration of the headlights.

I learned that Adaptives have "BMW Dynamic Xenon D1S f 56mm d 70mm" inscribed on them and Non-Adaptives only say "BMW Xenon D1S". However, to be sure, I did some comparisons of the innards of my headlight assembly against pictures people posted on e90Post of other Bi-Xenon headlights. I noticed that mine had thee motors, one for low beam shutters, one for height adjustment and the other for left-right swivel. Non-adaptives with height adjustment only had two. Regular Xenon may have one or none depending on weather it had height adjustment capability or not. WTF BMW?!

Since mine had three motors and inscribed with "BMW Dynamic Xenon D1S f 56mm d 70mm", an AHL footwell module was needed. ESC Tuning was selling it for $328 + $hipping. I've already spent $1399 on headlights (complete with ballast, bulbs, motors, etc.) from eBay, $198 for height adjustment module/hardware from ECS Tuning, and $150 for wiring harness from eBay. The project is starting to get a bit expansive. A quick search on eBay lead me to the exact AHL footwell module part #61359128185 (picture attached) suggested by their retrofit kit... $136 shipped. Boom!!! Saved about $200, thank you Mr. Scrapper

BTW ECS Tuning AHL retorfit kit costs $2141, and that doesn't appear to include the ballast, the height adjustment modules or the footwell module. They said that kit is only for cars that already have height adjustment and want to add swivel. Their other kit goes for $1493 is XE... at least that included the adjustment modules/wiring harness. You may still need to buy the matching footwell module though. I think I'm saving tons by piecing the parts myself and I definitely have been getting lucky with availability and low prices. If you don't have the patience to search/collect go with ECS Tuning. They were quite informative and pleasure to work with, based on my experience so far.

ECS Tuning also suggests that a new light switch is needed. My research suggests that the only difference between different light switch is whether or not light and rain sensor equipped. Since I have both already, which AHL requires, I won't be needing this piece... hopefully.

Now I'm patiently waiting for the footwell and the wiring harness. Here is the order of retrofit steps:
  1. Height adjustment module is already here from ECS Turning (shipped really fast) so I'm going to install them this weekend.
  2. When the wiring harness arrives, run them to front/rear height adjustment modules, headlights and footwell module areas to be connected at final step. Running wires is going to be the most difficult part I feel, as BMW instructions suggested installation time is 5 hours, excluding time needed for coding.
  3. Finally, install headlights, footwell modules, connect wires, program new footwell module (FMR2 AHL) and code.

Hopefully this is helpful to you guys. I'll update this as project progresses.

===============[EDIT 12/29/2013]===============

I took a break from this project for personal matters. Now I'm back into gears. The front wiring harness was run through the firewall and the rear was run under the carpet under on the left side. Here is a tip: Image search for things like "e90 running wire through firewall" and you'll find pictures that lead you to guides for whatever you want to do. Trust me it's a lot better than reading through posts that don't give you any pictures for reference.

The wing harness didn't come with everything I needed. The harness was for Bi-Xenon with auto height adjustment, not swivel. I need two more wiring harnesses for that. It's difficult to find the right bushing contact size for the pin size on the headlight plug. I already bought the wrong kinds twice. The BMW dealership part service was no help. I need to find stripped plug from a similar car spec either on eBay or from a scrapper.

Attached is the full retrofit guide. I have wiring harness A and B, and custom made C and D, but I need ends for C to complete it. Ahh this project makes me cry and feel excited about finishing it at the same time.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 AHL Bi-Xenon Retrofit Full.pdf (775.6 KB, 886 views)

Last edited by omare90; 12-29-2013 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Retrofit project research update
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Bmr3sn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT Sport

They are called Adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omare90 View Post
I recently got a set of Euro Spec Bi-Xenon Dynamic headlights from eBay for retrofit project. I know they have auto height adjustment configuration, but then when I went to ECS Tuning website, they sell a set that is Dynamic w/ Curve.

So there are two types of Dynamic headlights? One with just height adjustment and, another with both height and curve adjustment?

I'm really interested in the curve technology. The height adjustment will be coded out. If all Dynamic headlights come with Curve, I'll need to make a custom wiring harness. Have any advice on custom wiring harness?

In the US, I believe all BMW factory ordered xenon lights are adaptive, meaning not only do they adjust up and down, but also swivel left and right. However, I believe some (maybe all?) european factory ordered xenon lights only adjust up and down, not left and right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBMW3 View Post
In the US, I believe all BMW factory ordered xenon lights are adaptive, meaning not only do they adjust up and down, but also swivel left and right. However, I believe some (maybe all?) european factory ordered xenon lights only adjust up and down, not left and right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Ah I hope you're wrong about what you said about Euro specs LOL. I really want the curve feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr3sn View Post
They are called Adaptive headlights
I know, but I've noticed that BMW marks all adaptive headlights as "BMW Dynamic Xenon D1S..." so that's what I'm calling them.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:

Why are you coding out the auto leveling? It's a bit of a safety feature so you don't blind other drivers with obnoxious bright light.
      06-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Why are you coding out the auto leveling? It's a bit of a safety feature so you don't blind other drivers with obnoxious bright light.
Because I won't have the wiring harness at the time of install. I already have the headlights, but the wiring harness for leveling sensors delivery will take 2-3 weeks according to vendor from Germany. I guess I can wait it for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Because I won't have the wiring harness at the time of install. I already have the headlights, but the wiring harness for leveling sensors delivery will take 2-3 weeks according to vendor from Germany. I guess I can wait it for it.
Ahh ok that makes sense. I thought maybe you were part of some new fad where disabling handy factory features was cool
      12-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
allerena
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

Garage List
I am attempting the same retrofit, I was about to jump in and switch the wires from the NFRM and also the wires in the plug that goes into the healdights. Could you share a little bit more details about the wiring harness?? Is it a complete harness that goes from the NFRM to the headlights or are you switching cables in the NFRM plugs and getting an adapter for the headlight connections?

BTW I have Xenon non-AHL and have retrofitted and FRM2 AHL but took out option $524.

Thanks.
      12-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep

The wiring harness package comes with two wiring harnesses. They are complete and plug right into holes so that you won't need to switch out your old wires. You know how annoying it was to retrofit FRM2 AHL. There simply isn't enough space to clearly identify wires and holes. Luckily my FRM module came with the plug in it so I color coded my wires and wholes on it to help me find wholes and snap in the wires from the wiring harnesses. The harnesses are also equipped with ends for the height adjustment module. Since you have non-AHL Xenon headlights, you probably just not use it and tuck it away somewhere. Then you can still upgrade to AHL if you want to in the future.

If you choose to go the AHL route, you'll need to make two additional custom wiring harness that the car or the wiring harness package doesn't provide. I could reuse existing wires but I'm going to keep them in case I decide to switch them out to classic headlight temporarily when headlight modules blow or something. I'm attaching the retrofit guide that I'm using for my project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerena View Post
I am attempting the same retrofit, I was about to jump in and switch the wires from the NFRM and also the wires in the plug that goes into the healdights. Could you share a little bit more details about the wiring harness?? Is it a complete harness that goes from the NFRM to the headlights or are you switching cables in the NFRM plugs and getting an adapter for the headlight connections?

BTW I have Xenon non-AHL and have retrofitted and FRM2 AHL but took out option $524.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 AHL Bi-Xenon Retrofit Full.pdf (775.6 KB, 356 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Out of curiousity, in all of this research have you come across anything about non-Xenon headlights with MANUAL leveling? That would be the base setup in most of Europe. I have no interest in having Xenon headlights, but I happen to already have the headlight switch with the manual leveling adjuster wheel - bought for the rear fog switch while I was in Amsterdam. In the past I retrofitted this functionality to a MKIV Golf TDI and found it quite useful. I'm wondering if my existing footwell module is setup for this, and all I would need would be lights and some wiring?

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep

You should be fine just switching to the new headlight switch module with rear fog button. It all comes down to your footwell module and the kind of headlights/washer/rain sensor configuration you have, in which case you need the right headlight switch module because circuitry in the headlight switch module is different, as they need to send other signals to other modules in addition to the lights. That said, headlight switch module is pretty simple--even with additional circuitry for other modules, switching to the new module with rear fog button should be plug-n-play.

Just try it out, it should be simple to switch in and out. No wiring or coding is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Out of curiousity, in all of this research have you come across anything about non-Xenon headlights with MANUAL leveling? That would be the base setup in most of Europe. I have no interest in having Xenon headlights, but I happen to already have the headlight switch with the manual leveling adjuster wheel - bought for the rear fog switch while I was in Amsterdam. In the past I retrofitted this functionality to a MKIV Golf TDI and found it quite useful. I'm wondering if my existing footwell module is setup for this, and all I would need would be lights and some wiring?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

This switch? I bought this off Ebay for $30 so I have rear fog lights. Wheel doesn't work with my configuration.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
This switch? I bought this off Ebay for $30 so I have rear fog lights. Wheel doesn't work with my configuration.

I'm interested to know if the wheel works as well. I have a 2006 E90 I'm installing Euro LCI Halogens with the manual motors. Does anyone know if this will work if ijust buy the switch? Do I need to run some wires? I have FRM1 so that probably limits me on coding.

Sorry to thread jack but this is the only info I found on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:59 AM   #15
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

As far as I know, ALL Xenon headlights are AUTO LEVELLING! At least in Europe. I have NEVER EVER seen ANY car with Xenons that would not auto level.

The base model in Europe in E90 gets halogens (not even projector ones) without angel eyes. These are manual leveling AFAIK.

Then, you can pay extra for Xenons - auto leveling.

Then, you can pay even more for adaptive Xenons, which follow the curvature of the road and light "around the corner". These are also auto levelling.

As far as I know, autolevelling on xenons is a function of the adjuster rod on the lower front control arm???

bottom line: imo any type of xenon is autolevelling
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #16
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
I'm interested to know if the wheel works as well. I have a 2006 E90 I'm installing Euro LCI Halogens with the manual motors. Does anyone know if this will work if ijust buy the switch? Do I need to run some wires? I have FRM1 so that probably limits me on coding.

Sorry to thread jack but this is the only info I found on this.
No the wheel will not work. The only reason I have it is that is was cheap to by and I didn't like the empty space on the switch.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #17
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Here's how it is in Europe with most BMW's:

Halogens: standard on the E9x, manual light levelling (with the light switch posted above), AE's after LCI

Xenons: auto-levelling, no left/right swiveling,

Adaptive (AHL) bi-xenons: auto-leveling, swiveling (left/right) and different inner bulb, so you can clearly say whether you have non-AHL or AHL by looking at the headlights.

I just don't know how much is the AHL retrofit harder than non-AHL retrofit and if I need the whole retrofit kit and FRM3 as I have read that post-2011 1 Series have already the FRM3, so all you would need to do is code the FRM.
      03-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #18
omare90
Enlisted Member
Rep

If you want all the options, height adjustment and swivel, you will have to buy a wiring harness or make your own, and a new FRM that supports it. I wanted all. There are different versions of FRM 3 so you will need the one that supports adaptive features. You can always put the AHL headlights in, code out errors in your current FRM 3, and re-activate adaptive features once you replace your FRM 3 with AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Here's how it is in Europe with most BMW's:

Halogens: standard on the E9x, manual light levelling (with the light switch posted above), AE's after LCI

Xenons: auto-levelling, no left/right swiveling,

Adaptive (AHL) bi-xenons: auto-leveling, swiveling (left/right) and different inner bulb, so you can clearly say whether you have non-AHL or AHL by looking at the headlights.

I just don't know how much is the AHL retrofit harder than non-AHL retrofit and if I need the whole retrofit kit and FRM3 as I have read that post-2011 1 Series have already the FRM3, so all you would need to do is code the FRM.
Appreciate 0