F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 after PPK?
GetBMWParts

06-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M3 6MT

So I have the PPK installed (2013 335xi 8-auto) and required the new DME. As happy as I am with it I of course want more power. I did some research and it appears the JB4 tune is the best bang for my buck. The Burger Tuning website is advertising the stage 2 so that's what I'm looking to buy but have some questions:

With the PPK already installed does the JB4 overwrite the software?

If I took my car in for warranty work can is there a way to hide the JB4?

If the JB4 tune was removed would the PPK still be there?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I want safe power but don't want to screw myself if the car goes in for service which was why I went for the PPK in the first place. But now I'm used to the power and want more...
      06-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I'm in a similar situation, I have the MPPK and ordered JB4 stage 2 and a couple extra parts. From what I'm being told is the throttle sensitivity and similar changes from the MPPK will remain, the JB4 will change everything else. The exception is if you use map 0. It's reverts to stock settings, which for us will be MPPK.

Stage 2 needs to tap into two wires, which for autos, since you need to pull back tape and seperate wires is obvious if you look for it. I'm sure you could remove and retape, but its something to keep in mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Mathys
I'm in a similar situation, I have the MPPK and ordered JB4 stage 2 and a couple extra parts. From what I'm being told is the throttle sensitivity and similar changes from the MPPK will remain, the JB4 will change everything else. The exception is if you use map 0. It's reverts to stock settings, which for us will be MPPK.

Stage 2 needs to tap into two wires, which for autos, since you need to pull back tape and seperate wires is obvious if you look for it. I'm sure you could remove and retape, but its something to keep in mind.
Thanks for the info, how much of a power difference did you feel from the MPPK to the stage 2?
      06-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

It gets here tomorrow. I will initially install the stage 2 with the ER downpipe and if time permits, will install the meth kit. So I will be going from MPPK with AFE drop in filter to possibly FBO and a meth set up on map 3. If that's the case, its a big jump.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Mathys View Post
It gets here tomorrow. I will initially install the stage 2 with the ER downpipe and if time permits, will install the meth kit. So I will be going from MPPK with AFE drop in filter to possibly FBO and a meth set up on map 3. If that's the case, its a big jump.
Ha, yea it won't even be comparable. You'll be going from a 290ish whp car to a 360ish.

I think Terry mentioned Stage 1 would keep some of the main PPK features (and give you the power increase of stage 1) but Stage 2 would overrwrite too many to make it worth it to have gotten the PPK. Basically don't buy the PPK if you plan on going stage 2 was what I got out of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

About sums it up. I originally planned on staying with the MPPK but after a month of driving around I want more. The intake should be out in a month or so and there are a couple turbos in the works. Should be enough for me....maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Ha, yea it won't even be comparable. You'll be going from a 290ish whp car to a 360ish.

I think Terry mentioned Stage 1 would keep some of the main PPK features (and give you the power increase of stage 1) but Stage 2 would overrwrite too many to make it worth it to have gotten the PPK. Basically don't buy the PPK if you plan on going stage 2 was what I got out of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
About sums it up. I originally planned on staying with the MPPK but after a month of driving around I want more. The intake should be out in a month or so and there are a couple turbos in the works. Should be enough for me....maybe.

Quote:

Exactly after a month I want more. I don't regret buying the MPPK just get bored easily with cars. I think I might try the JB4 stage 2 and see what happens. Seems like an easy install and safe.
      06-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

Box came today but nobody was home to sign for it. I will be picking it up from the post office tommorow and then installing. I will let you know how it goes and if I think it was worth the money for stage 2 and the downpipe. Then again with the meth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30MSport View Post
Exactly after a month I want more. I don't regret buying the MPPK just get bored easily with cars. I think I might try the JB4 stage 2 and see what happens. Seems like an easy install and safe.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Box came today but nobody was home to sign for it. I will be picking it up from the post office tommorow and then installing. I will let you know how it goes and if I think it was worth the money for stage 2 and the downpipe. Then again with the meth.

Quote:
Thanks I look forward to hearing the results
      06-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30MSport
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks I look forward to hearing the results

Same here!!!
      06-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #11
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

I ended up only having time to install the JB4. If time permits I will try to install the ER downpipe tommorow. As for the meth kit, Im looking for another tank. The Coolingmist tank appears to be well made and is an interesting design but it dosent fit where I wanted it to.

The JB4 feels good. Im not going to say its better than the MPPK, just different. I found with the MPPk, eco, comfort and sport each felt like it got a little more power than the previous setting. Im not sure if this was 100% true or if it was just the increase in throttle sensitivity. In any case, with the JB4, it feels as if each setting has the same amount of power. In each one, at approximately 2k RPM, you can feel the boost. Even in eco. And yes, overall the stage 2 feels more powerful than the MPPK.

Granted this is based off a 10 minute drive in map 1. Once I get the downpipe installed, I will mess around in map 2 and maybe do some map 0 (MPPK) runs and then switch to map 1 and see how different they feel.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ended up only having time to install the JB4. If time permits I will try to install the ER downpipe tommorow. As for the meth kit, Im looking for another tank. The Coolingmist tank appears to be well made and is an interesting design but it dosent fit where I wanted it to.

The JB4 feels good. Im not going to say its better than the MPPK, just different. I found with the MPPk, eco, comfort and sport each felt like it got a little more power than the previous setting. Im not sure if this was 100% true or if it was just the increase in throttle sensitivity. In any case, with the JB4, it feels as if each setting has the same amount of power. In each one, at approximately 2k RPM, you can feel the boost. Even in eco. And yes, overall the stage 2 feels more powerful than the MPPK.

Granted this is based off a 10 minute drive in map 1. Once I get the downpipe installed, I will mess around in map 2 and maybe do some map 0 (MPPK) runs and then switch to map 1 and see how different they feel.
Just curious as to how difficult the stage 2 install was (I know stage 1 is a no brainer) and how much effort or ability you see to get back to stock in for when you take it to the dealer for oil changes or potential warranty work?

Also, how hard is the DP install? I'm assuming unless you have a lift, don't try this at home because it's not worth the headache.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

Install was very easy. One additional connection at the boost solenoid, tap a couple wires that were easy to find, connect a ground and power wire for the JB4.

I can get the car back to stock in 10ish minutes using a ratchet, a socket for the ground and a torx bit for the power. The two wires, I remove part of the tap and push it back into the split loom. Visually everything looks stock. Dealership would need to to open the split loom in the exact spot to find the taps and If I was taking it in for warranty work, I would just completely remove the taps.

Autos tap into the CAN at a different location though. It looks like you will need to remove some tape to get to your wires, which might be harder to hide. Not 100% on this but this is what it looks like from the pics.

Down pipe also looks easy, simple removal and reinstall. I have access to a lift and air tools but it can be done in the driveway with jack stands and hand tools. I'm guessing its going to take me a couple hours taking my time, figure an extra hour if I had to do it in the driveway.

Quote:
Just curious as to how difficult the stage 2 install was (I know stage 1 is a no brainer) and how much effort or ability you see to get back to stock in for when you take it to the dealer for oil changes or potential warranty work?

Also, how hard is the DP install? I'm assuming unless you have a lift, don't try this at home because it's not worth the headache.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
F30MSport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

With the downpipe is the check engine light going to come on?
      06-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #15
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

With the ER catless downpipe, yes. With the Challenge high flow cat, maybe. The JB4 has an auto clear function so you never get the light. I believe that it is an all or nothing though so I'm not going to use it. I would rather clear the check engine light from the downpipe every once in a while than miss an important check engine light.

Also, I ended up doing the downpipe install in my garage with ramps and basic hand tools. Took a little over two hours. If your going to try yourself, the directions tell you to completely remove the exhaust. Not needed. Disconnect at the factory downpipe and disconnect the exhaust hanger at the mid pipe. This will let it hang and give you enough room to remove the downpipe. Aso the directions say you need an E12 socket to remove the downpipe bracket. It is incorrect. I have u p to E16 which was to small. I ended up using a universal socket. If I was to guess, it's an E18 or E20.

I drank to much during the install to take it for a spin, but it starts up and sounds good. When I wake up tommorow, switch to map 2 and take it for a spin.

Quote:
With the downpipe is the check engine light going to come on?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With the ER catless downpipe, yes. With the Challenge high flow cat, maybe. The JB4 has an auto clear function so you never get the light. I believe that it is an all or nothing though so I'm not going to use it. I would rather clear the check engine light from the downpipe every once in a while than miss an important check engine light.

Also, I ended up doing the downpipe install in my garage with ramps and basic hand tools. Took a little over two hours. If your going to try yourself, the directions tell you to completely remove the exhaust. Not needed. Disconnect at the factory downpipe and disconnect the exhaust hanger at the mid pipe. This will let it hang and give you enough room to remove the downpipe. Aso the directions say you need an E12 socket to remove the downpipe bracket. It is incorrect. I have u p to E16 which was to small. I ended up using a universal socket. If I was to guess, it's an E18 or E20.

I drank to much during the install to take it for a spin, but it starts up and sounds good. When I wake up tommorow, switch to map 2 and take it for a spin.
I think the code clear for the JB4 will only clear the CEL related to the downpipe (whatever related to the exhaust fumes detected) so theoretically it could come on if something else that triggers a CEL happens. I could be wrong though. Not sure what all could trigger a CEL.

What do you plan on doing when you take it to the dealer for anything? It's one thing to spend 10 mins removing the JB4 but it's another deal taking off the DP.

Interested in seeing how you feel the different stages of upgrades changed your car. How was it going to the stage 2 from mppk and stage 2 > DP? I'd also be interested in the difference from map 1 with DP and map 2 with DP.

Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you regardless! I'm contemplating a stage 2 but don't see the 'upgrade' anymore. Probably should just contact BMS, it was $150ish previously.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info, I will have to look into the code clear.

Honestly, if I dont drink and now that I know how everything comes apart, I should be able to swap back to the factory downpipe in an hour and a half, maybe quicker. If I ever need to go to the dealership, I will just swap.

As for the upgrades, I loved the MPPK. I think it made a big change to the car and recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to deal with any potential problems from a piggyback. Then again, for almost a third of the price you can get the stage one, which if I knew I was going to mod this far, I would have gone with instead of the MPPK.

MPPK to stage two feels good. It feels stronger. Worth it for those already with the MPPK? Depends on the person and what they plan on doing. I think there are so many variables involved that I will leave it at that.

Adding the ER downpipe also feels like it made a big change to the power delivery. In addition, I think it improved the sound a lot. Definitely worth it for those with the stage two. Map two is awsome.

Im not sure where it is on their online store but remember seeing the link over on N54tech or like you said, just give them a call/email.

Quote:
I think the code clear for the JB4 will only clear the CEL related to the downpipe (whatever related to the exhaust fumes detected) so theoretically it could come on if something else that triggers a CEL happens. I could be wrong though. Not sure what all could trigger a CEL.

What do you plan on doing when you take it to the dealer for anything? It's one thing to spend 10 mins removing the JB4 but it's another deal taking off the DP.

Interested in seeing how you feel the different stages of upgrades changed your car. How was it going to the stage 2 from mppk and stage 2 > DP? I'd also be interested in the difference from map 1 with DP and map 2 with DP.

Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you regardless! I'm contemplating a stage 2 but don't see the 'upgrade' anymore. Probably should just contact BMS, it was $150ish previously.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

Try this for the upgrade.

http://www.burgertuning.com/JB4_upgrades.html

N55 upgrade, then select f30 and has or needs wires. $175 now.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

To really feel the power turn all the electric nannies off and from a dead spot torque brake to 1500 - 2000. It's a rush.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

I've got a manual, but trust me, I plan on doing some spirited driving over the next couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
To really feel the power turn all the electric nannies off and from a dead spot torque brake to 1500 - 2000. It's a rush.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try this for the upgrade.

http://www.burgertuning.com/JB4_upgrades.html

N55 upgrade, then select f30 and has or needs wires. $175 now.
Nice find, I had that page but lost it somehow. Think I'll pick one up. The question is to get a DP or not. Don't think I trust my tools/mechanic ability to install it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep

I think the downpipe and being able to run map 2 is worth it. The swap is easy. If you can change your own oil, you can change the downpipe.

I used a low profile jack to get the front tires up on ramps. Metric and etorx sockets with extensions and a wrench for the o2 sensors. The ER downpipe comes with very detailed instructions and except for the two problems that I noted above should be able to walk you through the install.

Quote:
Nice find, I had that page but lost it somehow. Think I'll pick one up. The question is to get a DP or not. Don't think I trust my tools/mechanic ability to install it myself.
Appreciate 0