F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > People who coded 6NH to 6NK Bluetooth Audio
proTUNING Freaks
Closed Thread

06-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
People who coded 6NH to 6NK Bluetooth Audio

For those of you who followed my post in the huge thread to change 6NH to 6NK to enable BT Audio, do you ever get a high pitched ringing sound coming from the speakers when you have Bluetooth Audio selected?

It seems to happen to me all the time when I'm not playing anything via bluetooth but have Bluetooth Audio selected under external devices.

is this normal?
Appreciate 1
KT550i0.00
      06-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Wait, what? You coded the standard BT, the one without A2DP, to be able to play BT-audio? Without any hardware retrofit? What am I missing here?

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

it might be phone related since your phone is constantly streaming sound out to your car
it doesnt disconnect and connect when there's sound going through your phone
try lowering the volume on your phone and see if it goes away
whenever im connected to an a2dp device i set it at half volume through my phone otherwise the high and low notes get all distorted
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Wait, what? You coded the standard BT, the one without A2DP, to be able to play BT-audio? Without any hardware retrofit? What am I missing here?
You're not missing anything.. Canadian cars have the correct combox. It's just a matter of coding it.

BTW.. I don't get a ringing... get rid of that iPhone stuff, and switch to Lumia
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
You're not missing anything.. Canadian cars have the correct combox. It's just a matter of coding it.

BTW.. I don't get a ringing... get rid of that iPhone stuff, and switch to Lumia
Is it a euro-spec thing or solely a canadian thing? Cause u guys seem to get what we get over here. How can I check if I have the correct combox?

| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:

What?? I have Navigation and Bluetooth, do you mean to tell me I can simply code extended Bluetooth as well as BMW Apps?

Thanks
      06-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix
Quote:

What?? I have Navigation and Bluetooth, do you mean to tell me I can simply code extended Bluetooth as well as BMW Apps?

Thanks
yes
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post

Thanks

Yes you can enable extended Bluetooth, but only if you have the combox in the trunk. Do you?

You can't just code in BMW Apps, adding it also requires an FSC code that you have to purchase.

Things change if you have the option for the new nav (NBT) because the combox is built into the head unit. There are so many regional differences that it difficult to make any kind of absolute statement anymore. I don't have any experience with the new NBT based cars.

I have coded 2 F30's to enable extended Bluetooth. You simply change 6NH to 6NK in the FA and VO code the HU_CIC and CMB_MEDIA ECUs.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Yes you can enable extended Bluetooth, but only if you have the combox in the trunk. Do you?

You can't just code in BMW Apps, adding it also requires an FSC code that you have to purchase.

Things change if you have the option for the new nav (NBT) because the combox is built into the head unit. There are so many regional differences that it difficult to make any kind of absolute statement anymore. I don't have any experience with the new NBT based cars.

I have coded 2 F30's to enable extended Bluetooth. You simply change 6NH to 6NK in the FA and VO code the HU_CIC and CMB_MEDIA ECUs.
I have a euro F31 with 6NH, no nav or apps, how can I find out if I have the 6NK combox these canadian guys were talking about? Does "combox in trunk" apply here as well meaning 6NH combox is always in the trunk, with or without nav or NBT or whatever you said....? If so tell me where to look and what to look for

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
I have a euro F31 with 6NH, no nav or apps, how can I find out if I have the 6NK combox these canadian guys were talking about? Does "combox in trunk" apply here as well meaning 6NH combox is always in the trunk, with or without nav or NBT or whatever you said....? If so tell me where to look and what to look for
If you have a separate combox, it will be in the boot under the cover, to the left of the fuses, like this:

If the model year/region of your car was orderable with the new navigation, then I don't think you will have a combox here, it will be integrated into your head unit.

I guess if you have 6NH in your FA, then you could just try changing it to 6NK and VO code HU_CIC/HU_ENTRY/HU_NBT (whichever you have) and CMB_MEDIA (if it's separate) and see if it works. If it doesn't work, you can just revert back to your original FA and re-VO code your ECU's.

Does anyone have experience enabling 6NK on an NBT based F30?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

I will say yes I do because when I plug in my ipod the word COMBOX appears on the ipod screen.

Quote:

06-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
JFREEZISM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X6 i35 xDrive M Pkg

Quote:
If you have a separate combox, it will be in the boot under the cover, to the left of the fuses, like this:

If the model year/region of your car was orderable with the new navigation, then I don't think you will have a combox here, it will be integrated into your head unit.

I guess if you have 6NH in your FA, then you could just try changing it to 6NK and VO code HU_CIC/HU_ENTRY/HU_NBT (whichever you have) and CMB_MEDIA (if it's separate) and see if it works. If it doesn't work, you can just revert back to your original FA and re-VO code your ECU's.

Does anyone have experience enabling 6NK on an NBT based F30?
By "in the boot under the cover" I am assuming you mean trunk? My bad, just want to be sure
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFREEZISM View Post
By "in the boot under the cover" I am assuming you mean trunk? My bad, just want to be sure
Yes, I was having tea and said boot instead of trunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #14
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I was having tea and said boot instead of trunk.

Will have to check it later, thanks

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Wow, it's amazing news that this can be coded for Canadian cars. My car is coming in next week, and this was one feature I was regretting not ordering.

Is there anybody in the GTA that does this? Also, is there normally a fee?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
Wow, it's amazing news that this can be coded for Canadian cars. My car is coming in next week, and this was one feature I was regretting not ordering.

Is there anybody in the GTA that does this? Also, is there normally a fee?
Sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
For those of you who followed my post in the huge thread to change 6NH to 6NK to enable BT Audio, do you ever get a high pitched ringing sound coming from the speakers when you have Bluetooth Audio selected?

It seems to happen to me all the time when I'm not playing anything via bluetooth but have Bluetooth Audio selected under external devices.

is this normal?
Can this be done with F30 without navigation system?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #18
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
Can this be done with F30 without navigation system?
Yes but you will need to get a combox retrofitted.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #19
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes but you will need to get a combox retrofitted.
I thought I was told the car does have com box .
More so on my 2010 M3 with Nav, was told needed combox but has 6NH?
I am interested for both if u could help? I can send you vin numbers to verify.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thought I was told the car does have com box .
More so on my 2010 M3 with Nav, was told needed combox but has 6NH?
I am interested for both if u could help? I can send you vin numbers to verify.
From what I know, there are two types of comboxes - 6NK for media and 6NL for telematics; both of which support extended Bluetooth.

If you run a check on a F30 VIN with with 609 nav and 6NH basic Bluetooth, there's no mention about any combox but we do have the combox physically installed and CMB_media does show up on the SVT list when you open esys for coding.

I think BMW just didn't want us to know about this.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #21
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From what I know, there are two types of comboxes - 6NK for media and 6NL for telematics; both of which support extended Bluetooth.

If you run a check on a F30 VIN with with 609 nav and 6NH basic Bluetooth, there's no mention about any combox but we do have the combox physically installed and CMB_media does show up on the SVT list when you open esys for coding.

I think BMW just didn't want us to know about this.
Thanks a lot for your response. If I could pm or email my Vin for both F30 and E93 to you, would you be able to advise me if there was a good solution availae?
Best regards
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #22
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your response. If I could pm or email my Vin for both F30 and E93 to you, would you be able to advise me if there was a good solution availae?
Best regards
Sure, I can have a look. Send me a PM.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread