E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sunroof Seal/Gasket Broken? (Pic Attached)

06-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 X-Drive

Sunroof Seal/Gasket Broken? (Pic Attached)

Hi,

I just noticed tonight that my 2007 e92's sunroof rear side seal / gasket seems to be broken. I can't find a good picture to confirm.

Could some of you wise people please advise?

My car still has CPO warranty. Would the dealer (Canada) repair it without any out of pocket expense?

Thanks a bunch.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bescacho View Post
Hi,

I just noticed tonight that my 2007 e92's sunroof rear side seal / gasket seems to be broken. I can't find a good picture to confirm.

Could some of you wise people please advise?

My car still has CPO warranty. Would the dealer (Canada) repair it without any out of pocket expense?

Thanks a bunch.
If its still under warranty, I'd think they would. Take it in ASAP though. Anyone know if seals/gaskets/rubber parts are covered under CPO?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT81 View Post
If its still under warranty, I'd think they would. Take it in ASAP though. Anyone know if seals/gaskets/rubber parts are covered under CPO?
I believe seals are not covered
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeGovernor View Post
I believe seals are not covered
Unfortunately, you would believe correct.

Canadian CPO: http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/usedvehicles..._Guide_Eng.pdf

EXCLUSIONS:
The repair or replacement of any body components, including finish, windscreen or other glass, weatherstrips, lenses, mirrors, interior and exterior trim, upholstery, carpet and cabriolet top and adjustments to such components to correct air and water leaks, wind noise, squeaks, rattles and alignment.

---

They got me on my rear wiper motor. Motor is covered. Teeny tiny linkage BETWEEN the motor and the wiper: $500, not covered. Gah.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all for the replies!

Crap... so the seal is not covered by the CPO warranty...

Would the dealer charge me Labour Time in addition to the seal part? If so, how much am I look at?

Should I bring it to an indie like RMP or Bimmersport to get it done instead? An recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmerMeUp View Post
Unfortunately, you would believe correct.

Canadian CPO: http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/usedvehicles..._Guide_Eng.pdf

EXCLUSIONS:
The repair or replacement of any body components, including finish, windscreen or other glass, weatherstrips, lenses, mirrors, interior and exterior trim, upholstery, carpet and cabriolet top and adjustments to such components to correct air and water leaks, wind noise, squeaks, rattles and alignment.

---

They got me on my rear wiper motor. Motor is covered. Teeny tiny linkage BETWEEN the motor and the wiper: $500, not covered. Gah.
This is the crap that really gets under my skin about warranties. They are carefully crafted to usually NOT cover ALL the components of a particular repair. So something breaks and three things must be replaced, but only one of them is covered. The other two things cost 10X more to repair by the warrantor than they would from someone else. So at the end of the day, you pay as much or more for the repair than you would if you just took it to a third party in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

First, I believe that most of these seals are strips and will always have a break in them. It has to be somewhere, but yours seems to have opened up somewhat.

Second, if it's the seal I think it is, they don't actually seal water out - it's for wind. Water ALWAYS get's by, that's why there are four large drains out of the sunroof cassette. This may alter your perception of urgency.

If it was mine, I would probably start working the seal on the frame to see if I could simply close that gap. Effectively you might be going so far as to "re-install" it. I've replaces sunroof seals on BMWs a couple of times but not on an E90 yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
First, I believe that most of these seals are strips and will always have a break in them. It has to be somewhere, but yours seems to have opened up somewhat.

Second, if it's the seal I think it is, they don't actually seal water out - it's for wind. Water ALWAYS get's by, that's why there are four large drains out of the sunroof cassette. This may alter your perception of urgency.

If it was mine, I would probably start working the seal on the frame to see if I could simply close that gap. Effectively you might be going so far as to "re-install" it. I've replaces sunroof seals on BMWs a couple of times but not on an E90 yet.
Thanks for the info.

Given that water enters from the sunroof seal anyway, does the existing gap in my seal make the situation any worse?

I called a few dealers and the CPO warranty does not cover it unless the seal exhibits manufacturer defect. They quoted me at least 3 hours of labour and expect to pay more than $1,000 to fix!

Last edited by Bescacho; 06-10-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

How is 3 hours of labor 1k?

I mean the seal itself has to be like 40 dollars.

Pays to garage your car.

Take it to a indy BMW shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Seriously, Bescacho, just start manipulating the seal yourself. This can be fussy work, but it's far from rocket science. I don't understand how shop rate is any more than one hour, honestly, unless there's something really special about this seal on an E90. You may be able to simply work some slack around to the gap and close it. If the seal is still sealing and hasn't started to break down due to UV then you're done, for free.

Do you happen to have a pic from a little farther away to show more context to see if we're talking about the same seal?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep

Hi and thanks for the replies.

Yea, the rest of the seal is in ok condition and I am not getting any water problems but am trying to take some preventive actions.

I was also wondering if I could just replace the strip myself or fill that gap in the seal with something. My issue with replacing the seal is I don't have access around the entire glass (i.e. front corners around the hinges) thus not sure if I can do a good job.

The dealerships are crazy and told me they need to drop the headliner! I asked an indy shop and gave me rough quote of ~$200 to replace.

Below are a couple better pics of the seal. Do you think the seal gap size is abnormal?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

I'm not near my car and this post has been awhile, but I checked it after I first saw your post and I have the same gap. So either it is normal or we both suffered the same break, equally possible. 2008 E91

When I'm back I will pic it and post to show, but as I recall I believe it was the same as yours.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. The sunroof seal is designed to "leak" in and there are drain lines that take care of the water. Just make sure you don't get your sunroof lines clogged.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
Bescacho
Private First Class
Rep

Hey guys, I haven't checked this post in a while, but just want to report back that I haven't experienced any water leakage into the cabin yet (knock on wood) despite the gap in the seal. I explored the possibility of getting it fixed under the CPO warranty at the dealer and of course no luck...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
UKBasketball
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bescacho View Post
Hey guys, I haven't checked this post in a while, but just want to report back that I haven't experienced any water leakage into the cabin yet (knock on wood) despite the gap in the seal. I explored the possibility of getting it fixed under the CPO warranty at the dealer and of course no luck...
I replaced the same seal on my E60. The rubber seal itself was like $20ish from Tischer and only took 10 min to remove the old one (basically just peel it off) and put the new one on.

To put the new on you peel back the adhesive strip and start at the center of the rear side and use a roller tool to stick it on flush. When you get all the way back to where you started, you use a knife to cut off the excess length and press the edges together. Mine was so tight the edges basically sealed up by pressing against each other. There were some good DIY threads over on 5series.net, I can't imagine it would be any different on the E9x models. Good luck!

I did notice a significant redution in wind noise after installing the new seal also.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
bmrman1
Rep
Drives: e53 X5, e92 m3

It almost seems like it was replaced before and someone cut it too short. It's not too hard to do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #17
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

$20ish from Tischer is $150 in Canada. I'll never figure that out. Must be GST+PST+ whatever other tax. When we visit relatives in Toronto we pick up $20 cases of LaBatt's beer in NY so we don't have to $45 a case in Canada (Where it is brewed!)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #18
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Bumping this thread.

I noticed this same gap on mine a few days ago. No leaks but i cant recall if i had it there from before.

Curious if this is done by design of is something is actually wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #19
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
we pick up $20 cases of LaBatt's beer in NY
A little part of me just died.