E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 control arms vs. Meyle HD control arms

06-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
scythemk
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan, Sport Pkg.

M3 control arms vs. Meyle HD control arms

I know this has been discussed in other threads before, and I've done my due diligence and read through all the advice given.

My conclusion was that the Meyle HD control arms are somewhere in the middle between stock and the M3 arms in terms of handling performance.

I would go with the M3 arms, since they're only $100 more than the HD parts, just to have the satisfaction of knowing I have really improved my handling.

But then I think of the primary usage of my car. I live in SD and go up to Long Beach or Fullerton every other weekend, sometimes every weekend, to visit my gf and friends and family. 100 mile freeway trip one way, lots of driving straight. I don't track my car, but do like spirited turns on local streets, especially on empty streets when coming back late from work. I'm just worried that the M3 arms will add a lot of NVH and steering effort that will be felt during the long freeway cruises, without my daily driving using the improved handling enough.

What do you guys think? Those of you that have the M3 arms on an otherwise stock suspension (mine is 335 sport package), would you say the ride is harsher? Is the steering heavier only at slow speeds, or at freeway speeds too? Just want to make sure the $100 extra will be worth it for me and that I won't be left wishing I had gotten the HD arms.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
scythemk
Rep

P.S. My current control arm bushings are leaking, so I'm going to need to replace the control arms regardless.
Also, my rear tires are bald and I'm going with Michelin PSS's and ditching the RFTs, which sounds like a pre-requisite for the M3 arms.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
I've done both. I suspect there are some NVH differences, but not enough to negate the improvement in turn in and camber benefits IMO.
The sterring does feel a little heavier (and I like it) but its a non-issue for me at hwy speeds.

EDIT: my bad on the camber comment. Neither Meyle or M3 tension struts alter camber. M3 wishbones do.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Go for the M3 ones and don't think twice about it.
      06-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
I came from the base (non-sports) suspension to what you see in the signature block below.

The sensations you experience are of course influenced by other changes that you may or may not be making, such as springs, dampers, rear subframe bushings, tires, camber settings, etc. But you already know that.

My observation, isolating my comments as best I can to the M3 front and rear bits from the getbmwparts.com kit, is as follows:

1. The turning response is much more instant. You should be sure you really want to go where you are pointing, because at higher speeds it is rather immediate. This is not negative, but it is very crisp.
2. There is a bit more turning effort at very low speeds, particularly when just starting out from your driveway or turning at an intersection. But not in a bad way.
3. I think there is probably a bit more road NVH, but that is a bit more difficult to isolate from the springs, dampers, tires, and subframe bushings. You are more aware of the road surface transmitted through the steering wheel. For me there is additional harshness, but I don't attribute it to the M3 bits, but rather the springs, dampers, and tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
I came from the base (non-sports) suspension to what you see in the signature block below.

The sensations you experience are of course influenced by other changes that you may or may not be making, such as springs, dampers, rear subframe bushings, tires, camber settings, etc. But you already know that.

My observation, isolating my comments as best I can to the M3 front and rear bits from the getbmwparts.com kit, is as follows:

1. The turning response is much more instant. You should be sure you really want to go where you are pointing, because at higher speeds it is rather immediate. This is not negative, but it is very crisp.
2. There is a bit more turning effort at very low speeds, particularly when just starting out from your driveway or turning at an intersection. But not in a bad way.
3. I think there is probably a bit more road NVH, but that is a bit more difficult to isolate from the springs, dampers, tires, and subframe bushings. You are more aware of the road surface transmitted through the steering wheel. For me there is additional harshness, but I don't attribute it to the M3 bits, but rather the springs, dampers, and tires.
Completely agree with him. I still on non-sport shocks and springs, it goes bring some of the unwanted vibrations. If I buy another e9x, this would be my first mod. It was from Corolla to a real BMW steering feel wise...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Heres my advice, I bought M3 control arms, built by the OEM manufacturer (I forget the name), but not branded as OEM BMW. Saved around $3-400 over the cost of OEM "branded" control arms, but theyre the exact same thing. Would be along the lines of buying brake rotors from Zimmerman (who makes the OEM brake discs) instead of what they sell you at the dealership. Big savings, same part. I love my M3 control arms. You will need an alignment afterwards, but the car will still drive perfectly around town, but in the corners, on turn in, it's very apparent these are better parts.

Also, I roll on Pilot Super Sports and I couldn't be happier. They're super sticky, great in the rain, last a decent while, and are still smooth as can be. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

The manufactorer for the M3 equivalent control arm is TRW. You can pick those up at ECSTuning and it is a savings of a couple hundred dollars ($383 TRW vs $562 OEM M3). It will make your steering more precise and a bit heavier (when i mean a bit, i really do only mean a bit, it is not that much difference). But the slight additional negative camber will help handling and cornering much more. I think it will be totally worth the extra $100 vs the Meyle oem replacement for sure. Good Luck!!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedderbear View Post
Heres my advice, I bought M3 control arms, built by the OEM manufacturer (I forget the name), but not branded as OEM BMW. Saved around $3-400 over the cost of OEM "branded" control arms, but theyre the exact same thing. Would be along the lines of buying brake rotors from Zimmerman (who makes the OEM brake discs) instead of what they sell you at the dealership. Big savings, same part. I love my M3 control arms. You will need an alignment afterwards, but the car will still drive perfectly around town, but in the corners, on turn in, it's very apparent these are better parts.

Also, I roll on Pilot Super Sports and I couldn't be happier. They're super sticky, great in the rain, last a decent while, and are still smooth as can be. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
How long does the PSS last you? I run PSS all the time but they dont last very long
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
scythemk
Rep

Ordered a set of TRW M3 arms. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
How long does the PSS last you? I run PSS all the time but they dont last very long
Not really sure, I'd guess 12,000ish miles out of the rears, a decent bit more out of the front. All I know is that I'm not replacing them as much as the guy I know with Hankook V12's, I get about twice as long it seems.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Get the m3 control arms, they are def the best bang for the buck. You dont need to worry about your concerns about having to do more work on long drives, its nothing thaaat crazy

I just got these on my car last month. Paired with my kw, they are awesome
Appreciate 0