F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Did I Just Mess Up My Break In?
proTUNING Freaks

06-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
theturtle
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Did I Just Mess Up My Break In?

Thread title.

Extremely stupid question I know but you can never be too safe.

I accidentally revved past 4500 (what the manual says not to do. Ended up revving to 5000) to pass a car on the highway and even though I've been trying to take it easy, there has been 5-6 instances where I revved to 4100. Will the one time I revved past the manuals advice + multiple instances where Im revving almost close to the "max" 4500, am I messing up my break in? Really want to prolong this car. Hopefully I didnt already mess it up / shorten the life of the engine
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
KroLeXz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

o boii, if that's true I have severely destroyed all my bmws.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
AppStoreMoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i M-Sport

I revved all the way to the red line several times during my break in. People do that on test drives. I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i AW MSport

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KroLeXz View Post
o boii, if that's true I have severely destroyed all my bmws.
yea me 2
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

<----- Lol @ "the public". Carries on with surfing BMW forums ...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

don't overthink it. Just drive it. These cars are designed and built to be driven and driven hard out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Mak135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GTS, X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtle View Post
Thread title.

I accidentally revved past 4500 (what the manual says not to do. Ended up revving to 5000) to pass a car on the highway and even though I've been trying to take it easy, there has been 5-6 instances where I revved to 4100. Will the one time I revved past the manuals advice + multiple instances where Im revving almost close to the "max" 4500, am I messing up my break in? Really want to prolong this car. Hopefully I didnt already mess it up / shorten the life of the engine
Try doing it again and see if the car shudders or 'stutters'. If it doesn't, then it's fine
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

The break in restrictions are primarily for safety. If your engine is going to suffer catastrophic failure, it will most likely take place when the parts are all new at the same time. Such failures can cause injury---no matter how unlikely.

Next, the secondary reason for break in procedures is to reduce the chance of creating an oil burner. Thus, taking it easy at break in paradoxically can increase your chances of having a car that drinks oil.

Don't worry. You are fine. And if you were to cause damage bmw would have inserted an algorithm to prevent you from overdriving your car. BMW did not implement such restrictions because they are not necessary.

Drive your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Not a problem. Just don't try to red line it, that's all they're saying. It's actually worse if you don't rev it at all during the break in period and just keep it at a constant highway speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Seems like there is no real consensus among enthusiasts on the "proper" way to break in the engine. Some people baby it for 1k while others absolutely drive it hard and then change oil around 1-2k.

The only advice I think is universally accepted is that you should make sure not to drive at a constant speed for a long distance - i.e. don't road trip your car the day after you buy it. Reason being is you want to give the driveline, CV joints and transmission an opportunity to run at varying speeds and loads. Personally, I just tried to avoid passing 5k RPM while open throttle and changed gears frequently.

Once you pass the break in stage, it's good to run your engine hot every now and then to help combat gunk buildup in direct injection engines. Not sure if the N55 uses EGR to reduce emissions, which might make that moot, but still a good idea to open it up every now and then
      06-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
nop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
And if you were to cause damage bmw would have inserted an algorithm to prevent you from overdriving your car. BMW did not implement such restrictions because they are not necessary.
There's a lot of superstition around the break-in process, and forums tend to compound that, but the above quote is indisputable.

My opinion is that break-ins are there as a way to train the drivers so that they don't drive the car hard (and therefore are less likely to run into warranty issues in the future), but that's just my opinion and I have no facts to back it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
E92Carrera
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Seems like there is no real consensus among enthusiasts on the "proper" way to break in the engine. Some people baby it for 1k while others absolutely drive it hard and then change oil around 1-2k.

The only advice I think is universally accepted is that you should make sure not to drive at a constant speed for a long distance - i.e. don't road trip your car the day after you buy it. Reason being is you want to give the driveline, CV joints and transmission an opportunity to run at varying speeds and loads. Personally, I just tried to avoid passing 5k RPM while open throttle and changed gears frequently.

Once you pass the break in stage, it's good to run your engine hot every now and then to help combat gunk buildup in direct injection engines. Not sure if the N55 uses EGR to reduce emissions, which might make that moot, but still a good idea to open it up every now and then
Well that screws all of us that do European Delivery then haha. I got the car and straight on a road trip, 3 yrs later, she's fine.

2011 E92 Space Gray - M-Sport - Euro Delivery

2008 E92 Black Sapphire - Black Interior - Aluminum Trim
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
Kauro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

To many break in myths. All the people i know, drove it like it's supposed to. years later, still driving the same way. Everyone have their "ways" of breaking in.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Carrera View Post
Well that screws all of us that do European Delivery then haha. I got the car and straight on a road trip, 3 yrs later, she's fine.
Well, if you're doing an ED proper, cruising at 60 in the right lane for 600 miles won't be a concern
      06-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
theturtle
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Thanks guys for the reassurance. The reason why I'm paranoid is because I plan on driving the vehicle 6+ years and hopefully 150k+ miles. I just wanted to make sure i didn't shorten the life of the engine/car in the least in those few instances where I revved close to the recommended amount + the single occurrence where I went past the manual recommends.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #16
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

As long as the oil temp is above 80 C its alright. That always applies; never rev above 3k when the engine isnīt warmed up.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Thread title.

Your engine is probably totally ruined.
How could you have made such a mistake?
      06-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Carrera View Post
Well, if you're doing an ED proper, cruising at 60 in the right lane for 600 miles won't be a concern
I think you should do a slightly more dynamic driving than that, I think even the break-in instructions say that cruising at constant speed long distances is not recommended. If doing ED, just leave the Autobahn and take the country road for some length before returning to the Autobahn if you need to drive longer stretches and also try to be more dynamic on the Autobahn too, slowing down to something like 60 and then up to 90-100 again, etc., but definitely in a safe manner, changing lanes and not hindering other cars. You can also just leave at resting stops and come back right away without stopping.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Thread title.

Oh yes, you CAN be "too safe".
Like in this case.

Sorry, don't mean to bust your balls, but really, the engine has a red line and it has a "rev limiter", which prevents you from accelerating beyond the safe point.

If the "break in" rpm limit were truly a "do not cross for the love of warranty", then BMW could easily have put a lower rpm rev limiter via software so that the engine can't go beyond 4500rpm.
But, they didn't and have no reason to do so, because it's perfectly fine and safe to drive your car and let the engine rev to red line even before the magical break in 1200 miles.

Personally, I red line all my new vehicle engines including motorcycles within the first few hundred miles. None of my engines have ever had excessive oil burn or use issues and they've all been strong performaners.

I do it slowly raising the engine speed till it hits red line, the let off the throttle letting engine braking and the car naturally bring engine speed down.
I do this for the first first few gears where I can safely go the speed limit or a bit past.
NEVER do this using wide open throttle or standing starts or when the engine and oil are cold.
After a few hundred miles, game on, play as you like.

Don't worry, you're engine is perfectly fine. It actually needs to run free from time to time to keep it from too much internal carbon build up.
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post

This thread actually does have a general consensus.
Very refreshing.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
AppStoreMoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
I accidentally revved past 4500 (what the manual says not to do. Ended up revving to 5000) to pass a car on the highway and even though I've been trying to take it easy, there has been 5-6 instances where I revved to 4100...
I wouldn't worry. Pkilla took your car waaay past those RPMs.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
This thread actually does have a general consensus.
Very refreshing.
+1

I was actually temped to throw in an "OMG - you need to take it back to the dealer for a full engine rebuild immediately!!" just to get things back to normal