F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Burger Tune Findings
Studio RSR

05-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

N20 Burger Tune Findings

Hi,
I am a new member to the forum but have been lurking the past few months reading and enjoying the content. There are many ppl here with great ideas, input and ingenuity.

I have a 2012- 328i and recently added a Burger Stage 1 tune. Thought it would be nice to share my findings (since there isn't a lot about about this product to read currently) and also ask others with this product for some of their feedback.

My Impressions:
The product was easily purchased from www.burgertuning.com at a reasonable price and was received in a week.

I purchased the product on 5/14 after a few days I inquired about the status since I hadn't received any shipping confirmation. I received a prompt response from Jon stating the product were out of stock and would not be shipped until 5/24. On 5/21 I received a notice from usps that the package was waiting for me at the post office since it needed a signature for delivery. Nice suprize to get it earlier then expected

I picked up and installed the unit on the 22nd. The install was quite easy and went very well overall. The components seem to be of high quality and neatly assembled.

*I would suggest having some small zip ties and also a more comprehensive solution to secure the "box/interface to PC".

The wiring illustrations within the instructions (found on burgertuning.com) are great they show exactly how to connect each each terminal in each location.

*One thing it's missing would be suggestions on how to secure the wiring and "box" to stop from flopping around. Assuming you are mindful and not too excited to get out and play, I would think most people will secure the product sufficiently. If you have zip ties handy that would be very helpful, keeping wiring off very hot components and also finding a way to secure the "box"

Post Install:
Immediately after I installed the product I started the car and let idol for a few minutes checking for any indicators on the dash and observing the overall operation of the care to ensure nothing alarming was going on. After about 5min I noticed a significant amount of smoke coming from the exhaust. It was dark but seemed odorless. I wasn't sure if this was due to reconnecting the battery and the engine priming fuel again? I double checked all vacuum hoses and other connections finding no issues. Anyone else have experience like this with this tune?

Day 1 - 1st Drive: - Comfort Mode - Easy driving.
I went for a short drive 5-10miles, I noticed a significant difference in turbo lag and response. Not that the lag was long before but it felt reduced. It could be the increased boost is noticed earlier in the RPM range so it feels that it comes on earlier.

Day 2 - Mixed Modes and some fun.
Day two was a normal work day with a little extra fun on the way to and from. I am still experiencing some intermittent exhaust smoke. There doesn't appear to be any consistency to this. Sometime its at startup (in NC not cold enough to see condensation right now) other times it's happening at stop lights after proper warm up. I have only noticed this 2-3 times total so far.

I don't believe I have a seal, gasket or other issue - the car is running strong, it's still quiet as ever and no warning indicators at all. I think this has something to do with a rich condition being created with some type on input from the increased boost. I can't confirm this but will continue to try and identify the issue.

Overall Performance Impressions:
I would say that this is well worth the investment. The power is significantly improved on low and mid range. I don't notice a huge difference in higher RMP ranges but I know it's a bit better. Overall it's a win assuming that things hold together as expected.

I did try to reach out to Terry regarding the smoke issue and this was our communication. Not sure what to make of it but it appears he doesn't seem concerned and believes this tune would have nothing do with any changes in exhaust smoke. I am not nearly as experienced as he is but I believe that this is a direct result of the tune having logged 20K miles on the car prior and knowing it very well prior to install.

Terry Email:
__________________________________________________ ___
Hi Andrew,

The tuners can't do anything that will cause smoke out the exhaust.

Best,
T
__________________________________________________ ___
On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Andrew
<andrewp@thisisnotmyrealemail.com> wrote:
Hi Terry,
I have been following your product on F30post and decided to purchase and
install on my 2012 328i. I received the product from your company on the
20th and installed yesterday. The install was quick and easy but I noticed
after I started the car for the first time and let idol their was
considerable smoke coming out the exhaust. I let the car run for about 5
min while I reassembled the battery cover and closed the hood and put away
my tools. I took the car for a test ride (just normal driving not pushing
it). The power gain is noticeable and I don't believe anything is wrong the
the car but the smoke from the exhaust continues. This was not present
before at all until I started after installing the Stage 1 I received. Is
this smoking considered normal when installing your product? Have you had
similar experiences?

There are no warning lights on the instrument panel and I triple checked
vacuum hoses and other connections. Please let me know your thoughts on
this. If it's easier and more convenient for you please call me anytime
000-000-0000 or respond by email with anything helpful you may know
regarding this.

Thanks,
Andrew
__________________________________________________ ____

Hope you find this helpful and if you have any smoke experiences please share with me how you solved them if at all.

Last edited by Andrew115; 05-23-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Yeah that's pretty much what to expect with Burger customer service. They don't seem to care about anything. I guess the good news is their products are pretty good and you really shouldn't have to get in contact with them, but when you do...yikes. Getting info from them is like trying to juice a rock.

I don't have any smoke issues, and haven't really heard of that before. I would be very concerned as well, but unfortunately you will get zero help from BMS over it. They will just say like they did "Our tune isn't causing your issue" over and over and will never go into more detail than that. This will just leave you concerned and wondering if your car is okay....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
Yeah that's pretty much what to expect with Burger customer service. They don't seem to care about anything. I guess the good news is their products are pretty good and you really shouldn't have to get in contact with them, but when you do...yikes. Getting info from them is like trying to juice a rock.

I don't have any smoke issues, and haven't really heard of that before. I would be very concerned as well, but unfortunately you will get zero help from BMS over it. They will just say like they did "Our tune isn't causing your issue" over and over and will never go into more detail than that. This will just leave you concerned and wondering if your car is okay....
Thanks for the info....

I have to say they have been very prompt in responding to my inquiries.
I also understand that there may be lots of incompetent ppl reaching out to them for reasons that are truly not their problem. That being said it would be nice to get reassurance about my concerns (when deemed valid) in more than 10 words or a one sentence answer.

I know they are busy, just a hint more info would go along way for someone like me. That would be the difference between me wondering if Terry is a 16 year old with a soldering iron vs. instilling confidence in my purchase and their product resulting in investing more money with additional product offerings they have. You would think its a lot easier selling stage 2's to ppl that already have stage 1 and are happy - Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
Thanks for the info....

I have to say they have been very prompt in responding to my inquiries.
I also understand that there may be lots of incompetent ppl reaching out to them for reasons that are truly not their problem. That being said it would be nice to get reassurance about my concerns (when deemed valid) in more than 10 words or a one sentence answer.

I know they are busy, just a hint more info would go along way for someone like me. That would be the difference between me wondering if Terry is a 16 year old with a soldering iron vs. instilling confidence in my purchase and their product resulting in investing more money with additional product offerings they have. You would think its a lot easier selling stage 2's to ppl that already have stage 1 and are happy - Just my 2 cents.
They are indeed prompt with their responses, however, as we have both found there isn't much in the way of substance in their help. That's the price you pay for a product that is much cheaper than most of the competition, and like I said, it's a pretty good product. Not much you can do except remove it, see if it continues to happen, and if so tell them they are obligated to help you out since it is clearly a problem related to the tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Cant believe they said tuners cant do anything to cause smoke out of exhaust.. if you run rich, and stock cat is still on, pretty easy to make black cloud of smoke. If you run test pipe, thats how you get flames to pop (letting unburned fuel to go through). What a nonsense..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Glad the tune is working well for you. It's a very nice upgrade over stock and easy to install. Regarding exhaust smoking, if it smells like oil on the N54 its normally turbo seals or PCV related. Never heard of an N20 smoking though. If it continues I'd remove any mods and let the dealer sort it out for you.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Glad the tune is working well for you. It's a very nice upgrade over stock and easy to install. Regarding exhaust smoking, if it smells like oil on the N54 its normally turbo seals or PCV related. Never heard of an N20 smoking though. If it continues I'd remove any mods and let the dealer sort it out for you.

Mike
Thanks for the info Mike. That was my plan also. I removed the tune this evening with the plan to go to the dealer tomorrow. The only issue is that I can't get it to smoke.... At least not yet. I'll leave it off for the next few days and see if it starts up.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
just a hint more info would go along way for someone like me.
That's called engaging with your clients/customers. Very important for word of mouth recommendations.

"Wow, he's a great guy who keeps me fully informed." "I would certainly recommend him."

Something like that.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
Safety2213
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Manual M-Sport

I have some of the black smoke on occasion and my car is completely stock.

Was the car any smoother with the stage 1?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I have some of the black smoke on occasion and my car is completely stock.

Was the car any smoother with the stage 1?
I wouldn't call is smoother. It's much more aggressive in sport mode and can be a little jerky if you get on the petal a little and lightly let off. Kinda reminds me of my old school manual camaro doing a little bucking routine. I would say it's quicker for sure when you want it and just the same as stock when you don't.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
giggity317
Lurker turned Poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Estoril Blue II 328 Msport

I experience the same 'jerking' when I let off the accelerator lightly after having hauled ass. At first it scared me but I think it may just be the due to an interruption in the power/torque being delivered to the tranny.

So far, I love the BMS stage 2 tune. My butt dyno can definitely tell a difference between this and stage 1.

Current:
'13 328i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggity317 View Post
I experience the same 'jerking' when I let off the accelerator lightly after having hauled ass. At first it scared me but I think it may just be the due to an interruption in the power/torque being delivered to the tranny.

So far, I love the BMS stage 2 tune. My butt dyno can definitely tell a difference between this and stage 1.
What are you running for fuel for stage 2? Since it's my daily driver and i travel from CLT to ATL often for work I want to make sure I always have an abundance of juice available when on the road. Here in CLT I found a few stations that are selling 100 octane but no e85 that I am aware of.

Did you do the down pipe too, or just stage 2?

Thanks for your info...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
giggity317
Lurker turned Poster
United_States
Rep

I'm running 93 octane. I just moved to NY (from Charlotte actually) and haven't been able to find a local gas station that carries a higher octane and I'm too afraid of putting E85 or a blend in my baby.

No other performance mods than the stage 2. I don't think I will be adding an intake or down pipes. I like the BMS because its easy to add or remove as need be.

Off topic, where in Charlotte are you located?

Current:
'13 328i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Andrew115
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggity317 View Post
I'm running 93 octane. I just moved to NY (from Charlotte actually) and haven't been able to find a local gas station that carries a higher octane and I'm too afraid of putting E85 or a blend in my baby.

No other performance mods than the stage 2. I don't think I will be adding an intake or down pipes. I like the BMS because its easy to add or remove as need be.

Off topic, where in Charlotte are you located?
Thanks for the info on this. Sounds like 93 and stage 2 are a fine combo. I want to be sure before I consider this. Guessing you would do it all again if you could. Can you tell me a little of what you noticed from stage 1 to 2? I am mainly interested in 30 - 70mph. It improved quite a bit with stage 1 but might consider 2 if it's worth it.

I moved to Charlotte about a year ago we rented town house in Ballantyne and just recently purchased a house in Matthews out near Mint Hill southern east side of 74. I work @ the corp park in Ballantyne. It's nice here, I don't miss winter at all! Orig. from Maine.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
giggity317
Lurker turned Poster
United_States
Rep

I still have the Stage 2 installed. I like it, I think it has a little more punch at highway speeds than just the Stage 1. But I feel like you have to find the sweet spot when you get on it, you can just slam your foot down and expect it to throw you back. I find myself gradually letting on the accelerator allowing the turbo to spool first then I go harder and she'll pull away faster.

I've definitely surprised from e92 335's that see me merge on the highway thinking they can keep me from merging over. I get on it and fly right by them then they pull up and try to play.

Welcome to Charlotte, Ballantyne is a nice area. It's like a city within a city, has everything you need and if you ever need to go uptown it's only a 10 min drive. I still have my house in the South Park area and occasionally come down to work out of the CLT office. I do not miss the NC weather though, all that humidity.

Watch those Matthews cops, they're bored and like to ticket.

Current:
'13 328i MSport
Appreciate 0