2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Curb scrape on my 5 M sport bumper

05-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
NeoBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640GC M

Curb scrape on my 5 M sport bumper

Argghh. Sooner or later this had to happen. I tried to park at my local Ralph's grocery mart and all I heard was a loud scrape and I knew what had happened.

I came out and saw the the passenger side front M sport vent side had a long scrape on it. It's bad where the paint is scarped off and I can see the white.

The car is a CBM. What can I do to Fix it? Took pix from my Note 2 and writing this on my iPad. Will post pic soon.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Not sure what advise you're looking for. You need to get it repaired if you want it to look perfect again. You can also get some touch up paint and at least it won't be as noticable.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
PMW_F10
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White F10

I didn't take the time to look at any pics of your car but I'm guessing it's dark in color because you said, "I can see the white"... however... that's strange to me because I thought the plastic underneath the paint was black...

Regardless, you'd be surprised at how much of any scrape you can get rid of with a good polish session.

1) Go buy some rubbing compound, a good car polish, and a nice wax (it goes in that order btw)

2) Clean area (or whole car)

3) Get a rag (i always use microfiber for everything but at this stage, it doesn't matter). Squirt some rubbing compound on a corner, then rub it on the scratch in small circles... and give her a good rub, not your normal waxing circles... put some muscle into it. You'll notice that it'll feel a little gritty, that's cause it is.

4) Once you've given it a pretty good rub, switch to a clean side of the rag and buff off the excess compound. You can repeat step 3 and 4 if you think you missed any spots or if you think it needs more love.

5) Now, get a softer rag (in my case, another fresh yellow one from the bag) and put some of your polish on it. Make sure you shake up the polish bottle really well first. Then, go to town on the spot again, still using some decent pressure. Add more polish if necessary and keep those circles going. Now, move to a clean side and buff away.

6) At this stage you should already see a big improvement. Now, get your wax out and go to town on the area... (i shouldn't have to explain how to wax... wax-on, wax-off). I use either Turtle Wax Platinum liquid wax or Mequiars Liquid Gold.

7) Very good Daniel son. (Karate Kid reference)... lol

8) Now don't be lazy and wax the rest of your car.

It should look A LOT better. Unfortunately, it'll never look perfect unless you get it repainted by a shop... but it's a pretty inconspicuous area anyway, I wouldn't worry too much.

Good luck!

2013 Alpine White F10 | 20" VMR 710's | H&R Sport Springs | Performance Trunk Spoiler
Gloss Black Kidney Grills | Coded | Custom Rear Bumper | K&N Filter | 3M Tint
Appreciate 0