F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Brake-torquing 8AT
Studio RSR

05-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Brake-torquing 8AT

Is brake-torquing bad for the transmission? I've never done it, and just want to check my 0-60 with BMS stage 2. I know it's probably bad to do it a lot. I just plan on doing it once.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

The trans is built to take SOME abuse. I had about 100 runs on my one and only automatic car I used to bracket race, loading it to about 2100rpms.

I even do it on my wife's Saab to get the jump on someone.

As long as you do not do it 20x a day for the next year, you'll be fine.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

I got another question regarding the tranny: is it better to put in neutral and hold the brakes when standing on a steep hill, instead of just having it in D and brake? When standing still for a longer time in general, does it put stress on the tranny to simply brake and leave it in D? I mean the car is obviously trying to move but you're not letting it, by braking.. Is this a non-problem?

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
I got another question regarding the tranny: is it better to put in neutral and hold the brakes when standing on a steep hill, instead of just having it in D and brake? When standing still for a longer time in general, does it put stress on the tranny to simply brake and leave it in D? I mean the car is obviously trying to move but you're not letting it, by braking.. Is this a non-problem?
Use your brakes, better to put wear on your brakes than doing anything with the transmission, even shifting it to N.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Use your brakes, better to put wear on your brakes than doing anything with the transmission, even shifting it to N.
So holding the brakes when on a hill and in D, is better than holding the brakes and putting it in N? I thought Neutral means u disconnect the tranny but now I´m confused.. enlighten me please

| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
So holding the brakes when on a hill and in D, is better than holding the brakes and putting it in N? I thought Neutral means u disconnect the tranny but now I´m confused.. enlighten me please
Leave the car in drive. Here is some reading material - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...-converter.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, because you are putting a bit more wear by shifting your trans in and out of D. You prefer to put the wear on the brakes by holding the car instead.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Leave the car in drive. Here is some reading material - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...-converter.htm
Very interesting and informative link! However, I dont see anything connected Neutral being more harmful than D when at a full stop? Whisky-Man seems to lean towards the wear of actually changing gears/mode and that sounds more like the mechanical action itself wearing parts out (kinda like a door knob having a lifetime of say 10'000 turns). But if we put that aside, wouldnt putting it in Neutral stress it less as is doesnt have to work at all (the tranny)? I just wanna do whats correct, I mean I am one who always before I stop to park the car, brake with the pedal, pull the hand brake with foot still on pedal, put in N and remove foot from pedal to let the car move that inch till I feel the hand brake has got it firmly, THEN I press P. I do this to not put load on the prawl thing..

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting and informative link! However, I dont see anything connected Neutral being more harmful than D when at a full stop? Whisky-Man seems to lean towards the wear of actually changing gears/mode and that sounds more like the mechanical action itself wearing parts out (kinda like a door knob having a lifetime of say 10'000 turns). But if we put that aside, wouldnt putting it in Neutral stress it less as is doesnt have to work at all (the tranny)? I just wanna do whats correct, I mean I am one who always before I stop to park the car, brake with the pedal, pull the hand brake with foot still on pedal, put in N and remove foot from pedal to let the car move that inch till I feel the hand brake has got it firmly, THEN I press P. I do this to not put load on the prawl thing..
Its the act of going from N to D and what not, that is more wear than needed. Its marginal I know. But it's better to put additional wear on brake pads than the trans. If you are leasing, well the trans won't be your problem during your tenure, so do whatever you prefer.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Its the act of going from N to D and what not, that is more wear than needed. Its marginal I know. But it's better to put additional wear on brake pads than the trans. If you are leasing, well the trans won't be your problem during your tenure, so do whatever you prefer.
I think his point is that by leaving it in D, you put stress on the transmission because your engine is turning at 600rpm or so, but your wheels are not moving. So the torque converter is being stressed. By putting it in neutral, the torque converter is not used, and is hence not stressed.

I have a friend who's whole family does this shifting from D to N at red lights, but in my personal opinion, I'll bet this car would die way before that additional stress caused any problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
is it better to put in neutral and hold the brakes when standing on a steep hill, instead of just having it in D and brake? I mean the car is obviously trying to move but you're not letting it, by braking.. Is this a non-problem?
No. BMW have incorporated brake hill assist in their 3 Series' cars since the E90. The car isn't trying to move if you lift your foot off the brake when on a hill. It holds the car still for about 2-3 seconds.

This is of benefit to the MT cars, to stop roll back. The driver has time to move his/her foot to the accelerator and let the clutch out, without risk of rolling back.

For the 8AT cars, it keeps the car still for around 2-3 seconds if you don't apply the accelerator. After that time, hill assist disengages and the 8AT will try to roll forward, while a 6MT will roll back.

To a degree, the hill assist helps when keeping the car in D.

Of course, if you have ASS active, the car's engine shuts down anyway - no stress on the tranny, so with ASS, it is better to keep the tranny in D for an instant start up when ready to move on.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0