F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Lumbar support retrofit and Airbag warning
GetBMWParts

05-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
mtherr
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 iX

Lumbar support retrofit and Airbag warning

Hello group! I am a new BMW owner as of last Thursday. In fact, this is my first expensive car ever. When I test drive my car (20 minutes), I was pretty happy with everything (328 iX Luxury with premium package). But then, after I took possession of it, it took a bit less than 45 minutes to really hate the seats.

Did anyone retrofitted the standard seat to add a lumbar support? I know this have been done on various previous models:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494469
http://www.tmk.com/lumbar/index.shtml
http://aircooled.suomalainenverkkoka...uxfw1hj5yq.pdf

I also found the major required components on RealOEM:

61129258232 (wiring) - but not sure of this as it would miss one connector for supply voltage (I suppose)
61319276621 (switch module for electric with memory, lumbar, not sport)
52107284041 (lumbar support pad with pump --- and valve???)
52201964201 (little clips to close the seat back panel)

I am unsure about the cable in particular and about the valve. This would be a 570$ project.

Any advise is more than welcomed.

Oh... while looking into this, I removed the driver seat and I now have a Driver Restraint malfunction message that I would like to clear. I bought the Bavarian cable but if there is a quick way to clear it (outside of going back to the dealer), please let me know. (it will take several weeks before I get the cable)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
BLUEFIRE
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i luxuryline 2013

Hello mtherr! (this is my fist message in F30post)
I'm a new owner F30 328i sedan luxuryline with standard manuel seats as of last 2 months. I have the same problem as you have. I still can not find ideal driving position. I am sliping from the seat in the curves and the seats make back pain. I was driving BMW E90 316i before my new F30 (I still have E90). I am very happy with standard seats in E90 and have no seat problems. (That's why I ordered standard seats for my new F30). After driving F30 for 2 months, I drove my E90 again and understand that E90 seat provides more lumbar support (I felt better). I am very surprised that BMW produced worse seat in a new model! It's incredible!!!! I decided to change the standard seats with sport seats and spoke with BMW service but I learned that its impossible (because of wires). Is was angry and sorry. They said that E90 M3 seats fits wit F30.But E90 M3 seat may not be good looking in a F30.
I think there is two problem about seats. First: the lack of lumber support and too flat back curve of the seat does not provide enough pressure for the superior part of body which must be support by the superior-lateral part of seats. And second: superior-lateral part of the seat in not enough for supporting body. I think adding lumbar support will solve the most of the problem. Then I tried to find solution of this problem in internet. I find the same sites with you. But I didn't retrofitted the standard seat to add a lumbar support yet.
I wonder if you retrofitted the set with lumbar support? Because if you succeeded, it will solve my problem too. I will be very happy if you answer. Or did any one solve this seat problem by any other way? I'm waiting for your suggestions.
I wish all good drives for everybody.... By...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtherr View Post
Oh... while looking into this, I removed the driver seat and I now have a Driver Restraint malfunction message that I would like to clear. I bought the Bavarian cable but if there is a quick way to clear it (outside of going back to the dealer), please let me know. (it will take several weeks before I get the cable)
You'll need Tool 32 and the cable to clear the code mate.
Appreciate 0