F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help me choose the exhaust...
ARMA SPEED

05-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
m2michael23
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

Help me choose the exhaust...

Hello every, i after all the outlook is done, i am starting to change the power and exhaust part...

i know the gt-haus GTC, Challenge catback exhaust, m-performance exhaust, etc...

what are other options?? need you guys' opinion.

if you can post some vid so everyone has an idea in the future as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Alex@ONEighty
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 CZP 6MT

I currently have a custom exhaust with quad tips on mine... but if your looking to just purchase something that looks great and sounds good I would highly recommend a Meisterschaft Exhaust. We sell/install them at our shop all the time and the build quality of these units is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I have the M-Performance exhaust (and the MPPK), and I like it because it's somewhat "conservative" compared to others, it doesn't drone, and it's a BMW part (I had it installed at the port along with the black M-Performance grilles as part of a package). My experience with 3rd-party parts has been very good while I owned the car, but at sale/trade-in time, finding a buyer/dealer who appreciates the aftermarket parts limits your field and the price you can get - it's difficult to recover even half the cost of the 3rd-party items.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 & 325ic-F30 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I have the M-Performance exhaust (and the MPPK), and I like it because it's somewhat "conservative" compared to others, it doesn't drone, and it's a BMW part (I had it installed at the port along with the black M-Performance grilles as part of a package). My experience with 3rd-party parts has been very good while I owned the car, but at sale/trade-in time, finding a buyer/dealer who appreciates the aftermarket parts limits your field and the price you can get - it's difficult to recover even half the cost of the 3rd-party items.
The solution to this problem is keep all stock parts and return the car to stock before you trade/sell it. You recover some of your money from the aftermarket parts (by selling them one here) and keep the value of your car up . The only thing I am letting the port install is my PPK. I can do everything else my self and get the parts cheaper. For instance if I purchase the M-Performance exhaust, ill install it and still have my stock exhaust. The port takes all your stock parts .
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987E30M3
Quote:
The solution to this problem is keep all stock parts and return the car to stock before you trade/sell it. You recover some of your money from the aftermarket parts (by selling them one here) and keep the value of your car up . The only thing I am letting the port install is my PPK. I can do everything else my self and get the parts cheaper. For instance if I purchase the M-Performance exhaust, ill install it and still have my stock exhaust. The port takes all your stock parts .
You're going to re-weld the stock exhaust back on before you sell it? And you don't think a dealer would notice that?

If you install yourself, there's only a 2 year/20k warranty with BMW M performance parts...why buy BMW parts then? Might as well go full aftermarket...when a dealership installs, it's the balance of your warranty (4/50k)

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
You're going to re-weld the stock exhaust back on before you sell it? And you don't think a dealer would notice that?

If you install yourself, there's only a 2 year/20k warranty with BMW M performance parts...why buy BMW parts then? Might as well go full aftermarket...when a dealership installs, it's the balance of your warranty (4/50k)
Thats exactly what I plan on doing, it was just an example. I was just making a point that aftermarket is not as bad as roundel335 made it seem.

Also you dont have to re weld anything just use the clamp purchased with the M power exhaust. Another thing does a warranty really matter on an exhaust? Yeah its nice to have, but you save alot doing it your self if you know what your doing. Not many people want to do this them selves, which is understandable. The hardest/scariest part is cutting your stock exhaust off.

Last edited by 1987E30M3; 05-03-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

We are off this persons topic, sorry man. But shivaswrath do you think a dealer/person buying the car will notice a clamp? Yes you might tell them, but at the end of the day you have your M performance exhaust to sell. Trade/selling your car with anything but stock parts is like throwing money in the garbage. Maybe not the M power exhaust (it might at value), but you will defiantly get more selling it on here.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987E30M3 View Post
Thats exactly what I plan on doing, it was just an example. I was just making a point that aftermarket is not as bad as roundel335 made it seem.

Also you dont have to re weld anything just use the clamp purchased with the M power exhaust. Another thing does a warranty really matter on an exhaust? Yeah its nice to have, but you save alot doing it your self if you know what your doing. Not many people want to do this them selves, which is understandable. The hardest/scariest part is cutting your stock exhaust off.
Actually, it IS as "bad" as I made it sound. I recently sold my 07 E92 with full Dinan S3 equipment, as the dealership wouldn't even consider any value for the Dinan software upgrade they had installed for me, nor the Dinan CF intake, the welded-on Dinan exhaust, the ER Sport Oil Cooler, or the ETS 5" Intercooler. They weren't particularly interested in my CSL-style aftermarket wheels, either.

Your plan regarding keeping all the stock parts and then removing the aftermarket stuff and re-installing to original configuration is a good theory, but in practice, it's not all that great. There's the assumption that you haven't already sold your original parts, and the labor/time involved in removing/replacing everything is not insignificant. Dropping my front bumper to remove the Dinan CF intake, oil cooler, and intercooler didn't appeal to me, nor did cutting off my Dinan mufflers and re-installing the stock ones. I would also have had to remove the Dinan S3 software because it required the intercooler and oil cooler to keep the engine from cooking itself. I ended up selling the car with all the pieces in place to someone who appreciated the upgrades and got $4500 more than the dealer offered on a trade - but I was very lucky to find a buyer - it took 2 months to do so.

It's not about having a warranty on an exhaust - or an intake - as those very seldom ever have a problem. It's about adding value to the car from a trade-in standpoint as well as an outright sale. Those who appreciate a car modified with aftermarket parts are in a minority compared with those who really don't care, so your target sales "audience" is smaller. When you add BMW OEM accessories, they increase the car's value and appeal to a wider range of potential buyers. Not saying nobody wants aftermarket, but rather that reality says you are narrowing your market.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Your correct I will definitely keep all my stock parts. Software is software, you couldnt possible take off oil cooler & intercooler if your still running the software. I personally wouldnt have purchased your car with the high quality Dinan parts. I personally would put the exact same parts on my car there is nothing better for the car then Dinan parts. The reason why I wouldnt have purchase your car (again your right you do have a much smaller market and I am happy you were able to find a buyer) is because to me there is only one reason why I would put those parts on my car and that reason is to drive it aggressively. That simple fact would keep me away from your used BMW, its just my opinion and it was indeed a beautiful set up.

I would personally would have taken all the Dinan parts off (even the exhaust) and returned the car to stock. Reflash the stock, you probably loose the money on the software because its most likely registered to you specific VIN. I have worked on BMWs and at a body shop for most of my younger adult life, so I enjoy taking things apart and putting them back together. The benefits you are able to sell the car much faster and open up your market to much more buyers and your Dinan parts would sell quickly on the forums if your not looking to make money on your parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
So...how bout those exhaust options!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Your correct I will definitely keep all my stock parts. Software is software, you couldnt possible take off oil cooler & intercooler if your still running the software. I personally wouldnt have purchased your car with the high quality Dinan parts. I personally would put the exact same parts on my car there is nothing better for the car then Dinan parts. The reason why I wouldnt have purchase your car (again your right you do have a much smaller market and I am happy you were able to find a buyer) is because to me there is only one reason why I would put those parts on my car and that reason is to drive it aggressively. That simple fact would keep me away from your used BMW, its just my opinion and it was indeed a beautiful set up.

I would personally would have taken all the Dinan parts off (even the exhaust) and returned the car to stock. Reflash the stock, you probably loose the money on the software because its most likely registered to you specific VIN. I have worked on BMWs and at a body shop for most of my younger adult life, so I enjoy taking things apart and putting them back together. The benefits you are able to sell the car much faster and open up your market to much more buyers and your Dinan parts would sell quickly on the forums if your not looking to make money on your parts.
So yes, there we have it - the aftermarket parts give the car a "stigma" (whether accurate or not) that the car has been driven aggressively. In my case, it was not, and Dinan stuff is far less "aggressive" than some other brands of tunes and other parts. Consider a car that's had catless downpipes installed along with a cat-back exhaust with no resonators, and methanol injection - to mention a few items. I wouldn't touch a car like that with the proverbial 10-foot pole - unless I knew the guy who owned it. But getting back on track here - I recommend using an OEM BMW exhaust, either M-Performance or similar, for all the above reasons.

FYI, yes - Dinan software is a flash that's specific to your DME/VIN, and there is no transferability. I actually bought the other Dinan parts from Forum individuals and vendors (the intake and exhaust were used, but just barely). Exhaust-wise, returning to stock would not have been easily achieved with the Dinan mufflers welded on - and there would be welds where an unmodified car would not have them. So - that'd be an indicator of modification and to some buyers, a deal-breaker. I could have recouped some of my expenditures (but not the software cost), but it would not have totaled the $4500 difference in trade vs. sale, plus my time removing/reinstalling stock has to be worth something too.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Actually, it IS as "bad" as I made it sound. I recently sold my 07 E92 with full Dinan S3 equipment, as the dealership wouldn't even consider any value for the Dinan software upgrade they had installed for me, nor the Dinan CF intake, the welded-on Dinan exhaust, the ER Sport Oil Cooler, or the ETS 5" Intercooler. They weren't particularly interested in my CSL-style aftermarket wheels, either.
This has been my experience as well.

I got hosed big time with respect to my two previous Dinan-equipped 335i sedans (an '07 with Stage 2 Software and the Dinan High-Capacity Oil Cooler and a '10 with the Stage 2 Software alone).

With both cars, I exited the lease a bit early. Had the cars been completely stock, I would have walked away from the leases early with no penalty/bath whatsoever. However, because of the Dinan parts, my local BMW dealer refused to CPO the car and thus, ultimately, the car was worth less.

At turn-in, the cars I lease are immaculate. With the cars I've left stock, I've been able to get out a few months early with no penalty because of the condition of the car. Both times I turned in Dinan-tuned cars, I took big-time baths (and the Dinan parts were even installed by my BMW dealer).
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post

I got hosed big time with respect to my two previous Dinan-equipped 335i sedans (an '07 with Stage 2 Software and the Dinan High-Capacity Oil Cooler and a '10 with the Stage 2 Software alone).

With both cars, I exited the lease a bit early. Had the cars been completely stock, I would have walked away from the leases early with no penalty/bath whatsoever. However, because of the Dinan parts, my local BMW dealer refused to CPO the car and thus, ultimately, the car was worth less.

At turn-in, the cars I lease are immaculate. With the cars I've left stock, I've been able to get out a few months early with no penalty because of the condition of the car. Both times I turned in Dinan-tuned cars, I took big-time baths (and the Dinan parts were even installed by my BMW dealer).
Yeah - it's a shame that it happens that way, but if you plan on keeping the car longer-term, it might make sense to use 3rd-party modifications. I'm just hopeful that by staying with BMW/M-Performance stuff that it will not be viewed as detrimental to the car's value. Clever marketing, though!

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post

Why would you ever do that to a leased car? You also turned the cars in with the dinan parts on them and had to pay a penalty on top of that. Do you use your money to start the fire in your fire place too?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Why would you ever do that to a leased car? You also turned the cars in with the dinan parts on them and had to pay a penalty on top of that. Do you use your money to start the fire in your fire place too?
$100 bills burn best.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Why do you care how he spends his money?
      05-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

I really dont care, I just would never do that in my life because it seems like he is "taking a bath," maybe he takes baths in Dom Perignon too again what do I care. I am just stating my opinion .

At least ybbiz34 got my humor...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2michael23 View Post
Hello every, i after all the outlook is done, i am starting to change the power and exhaust part...

i know the gt-haus GTC, Challenge catback exhaust, m-performance exhaust, etc...

what are other options?? need you guys' opinion.

if you can post some vid so everyone has an idea in the future as well!
I have the Meisterschaft and absolutely love it. Make sure you get the remote...

The M Perf Exhaust is not too bad either. Heard it in person and also test drove the vehicle - definitely better than stock.

Good luck bud!
      05-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
m2michael23
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
I have the Meisterschaft and absolutely love it. Make sure you get the remote...

The M Perf Exhaust is not too bad either. Heard it in person and also test drove the vehicle - definitely better than stock.

Good luck bud!
do you have the whole system or just the muffler part? how much is the totally? PM me if you can...
Appreciate 0