BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

09-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Should I get Supaguard Paint Seal and Leather Protection ?

Anticipating delivery of my car around 15 October 07.

The dealer is calling with certain last minute extras!

Are you having exterior/interior treated by Supaguard?

I am not sure, but this may apply to UK purchasers only.

Apparently, it will cost an extra £450 inc 3 Yr guarntee.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

ok
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
Sick Speed
Speed
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlue! View Post

Many thanks.
I cannot speak for other dealerships in the US but my local dealership is offering the same package for all their BMWs this season. It does not go by the same name but it is similar to what you are referring to.

I would forgo the interior treatment and I only say that because I have had my 2004 E46 now coming up on 4 years with 52,000 miles and the interior is in excellent condition. I cleaned it with a mild leather cleaner every few months and it has preserved it nicely.

However, the exterior protection is something I will get this time. It is a thin film from 3M and it is completely invisible and will keep the 'nic' (front bumper, front of hood, mirrors) areas of the car perfectly protected. US costs are $350 or 253 Euro for you.

SS
      09-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I'd research the efficacy of any kind of interior/exterior surface treatment option that is sold to the consumer by the dealer. My understanding is that a good deal of them are scams dealers make money on and do not add anything to the longevity of the factory paintwork, which already has clear coat layer(s) on it. If they did, why wouldn't BMW incorporate them into its own surface finish processes? Anyway, I'm not saying they must all be scams, but I'd be skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
911 Now
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 m3

Don't do it! It really is a scam.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Sick Speed
Speed
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I'd research the efficacy of any kind of interior/exterior surface treatment option that is sold to the consumer by the dealer. My understanding is that a good deal of them are scams dealers make money on and do not add anything to the longevity of the factory paintwork, which already has clear coat layer(s) on it. If they did, why wouldn't BMW incorporate them into its own surface finish processes? Anyway, I'm not saying they must all be scams, but I'd be skeptical.
Good points Lucid but what I am talking about is not an additional layer of clear coat. It is a piece of impact resistant film that protects the front of the car from nicks and dings we pick up over time from road debris. Trust me...if I had it available when I first purchased my E46 in 2004 I would have paid the money for it. Now for me to repair all of the nics from road road debris it would cost me a lot more than if I had applied the film. I know some drivers who have had this on their car for 2 years and their fronts still look new.

You do make a good point about potentially some dealers using less than adequate material. My local speed shop offers this service and they only use the 3M film which 3M developed specifically for a car application.

SS
      09-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Speed View Post
Good points Lucid but what I am talking about is not an additional layer of clear coat. It is a piece of impact resistant film that protects the front of the car from nicks and dings we pick up over time from road debris. Trust me...if I had it available when I first purchased my E46 in 2004 I would have paid the money for it. Now for me to repair all of the nics from road road debris it would cost me a lot more than if I had applied the film. I know some drivers who have had this on their car for 2 years and their fronts still look new.

You do make a good point about potentially some dealers using less than adequate material. My local speed shop offers this service and they only use the 3M film which 3M developed specifically for a car application.

SS

Sure, the film you mention is becoming more popular in the UK. But, it's the paint shield that I am still deliberating over. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

^arent you talking about the same thing. The film and safeguard are the same thing right? Its just basically a clear almost invisible bra...

Jason
      09-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I agree completely. Putting to one side the fact that when you are paying £60K for a car, the paint frankly needs to be up to scratch, if this was actually worth having, it would be a factory option.

This will also slow down your delivery!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
aloha03gs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS

personally i dont buy into those options...on the other hand...i do know of onwers where they clear bra parts or the whole car to prevent rock chips and from what i have seen..it works well...

"imitation is the greatest form of flattery"
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #11
UKGuy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:

Many thanks.
Whilst I only have a humble 335 Convertible, it was supplied with the paintguard and interior protection as a discount for delayed delivery.

I only need to give the car a quick wash and a wipe with a chamois (although they supply a nifty backpack of cleaning goodies) and it's good to go.

Personally, I'd recommend it.
      09-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I do not recommend dealer applied sealants, especially if you are paying for them.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Its NOT a sealant, its a clear bra. Think of a large sheet of clear package tape form fitted to the front of your car. When a rock comes slamming into your front bumper at 70mph, the tape gets nicked instead of the paint.

Jason
      09-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Supaguard is not a clear film, it is simply a paint sealant, applied in two coats like a polish. Over here it costs £200 from a dealer (~$400). I have to be honest, I would never normally pay for it, but it had already been applied to my car when I picked it up and, as I was being allowed to buy their showroom car and get one of the first customer cars in the country, didn't have a whole lot of room for negotiation. Having it on the car for the first time, I wouldn't really say it makes a lot of difference and probably wouldn't waste my money on it again...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Supaguard is not a clear film, it is simply a paint sealant, applied in two coats like a polish. Over here it costs £200 from a dealer (~$400). I have to be honest, I would never normally pay for it, but it had already been applied to my car when I picked it up and, as I was being allowed to buy their showroom car and get one of the first customer cars in the country, didn't have a whole lot of room for negotiation. Having it on the car for the first time, I wouldn't really say it makes a lot of difference and probably wouldn't waste my money on it again...

Dealer's going to do it at cost, which is £200, for paint seal and leather stuff. Did not realise it but I had something similar on my 996 T, it was slightly noticeable and actually didn't need to wax as much.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #16
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Its NOT a sealant, its a clear bra. Think of a large sheet of clear package tape form fitted to the front of your car. When a rock comes slamming into your front bumper at 70mph, the tape gets nicked instead of the paint.

Jason
No it isn't. It's a paint sealant. I have a clear bra on my car; supaguard is a high durability paint sealant applied by dealerships. They usually charge $300-$700 for it, and it's no better than almost any sealant you can get for under $40 online. The one benefit is the warranty they give you (they will repair any bird etchings, sap damage, etc), but then the question is - do you REALLY want the dealership repairing paint damage on your car?

FWIW, the cost is not actually 200 pounds. Just do me a favor, read the fine print in the contract you get with it. It will say "needs to be re-applied every 6 months to a year" etc... the same as any paint sealant you can apply yourself in an hour (or less).

Like I said though, if you like the warranty then it's probably worth 200 pounds.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #17
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
FWIW, the cost is not actually 200 pounds. Just do me a favor, read the fine print in the contract you get with it. It will say "needs to be re-applied every 6 months to a year" etc... the same as any paint sealant you can apply yourself in an hour (or less).

Like I said though, if you like the warranty then it's probably worth 200 pounds.

According to the info they showed me it does not need to be re-applied for 3 years, which is also the length of the warranty. They have another version that does need re-application every 6 months. In relation to the cost of the car, it really is a small addition. They first quoted £445 but now they're saying £200 so not really fussed.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #18
Ted
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

It is a paint sealant, like DiamondBright and all the rest, it costs the dealer about £30 and he pays some guy £5 to apply it.

If you want to go this route you'd better off buying your own paint sealant, properly researched and then applying it yourself as you will undoubtedly do a better job than the guy getting paid a fiver.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #19
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
It is a paint sealant, like DiamondBright and all the rest, it costs the dealer about £30 and he pays some guy £5 to apply it.

If you want to go this route you'd better off buying your own paint sealant, properly researched and then applying it yourself as you will undoubtedly do a better job than the guy getting paid a fiver.

You maybe right, although 5 quid seems a little to cheap! Still, I do like the idea of having a 3 year warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 03:05 AM   #20
Ted
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
You maybe right, although 5 quid seems a little to cheap! Still, I do like the idea of having a 3 year warranty.
Well it was about that in my day, the valeter applies it in the valeting bay after the de-wax, I guess inflation could have pushed it up to a tenner but with the influx of eastern european labour in the valeting market, who knows?
Appreciate 0