M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

04-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Manhart Racing F10 M5 stage 4 - 660 WHP!!

I recently announced the tuning of my M5, but I decided to start a new thread with more detailed information. Please be aware that I am just a member/customer trying to give objective information about MHR and its products to this great community. I think I already praised the Manhart team enough, as I am really pleased with the way they work and the quality they provide. Franz kept me updated with news and pictures throughout the whole process.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

First the baseline pre tuning dyno. Interesting enough, the car produced a lot more RWHP than any other M5, MHR ever dynoed. Really weird. All pulls were done in fifth gear and measured in DIN.

STOCK OUTPUT 558.19 WHP and 681.20 Nm of Torque.
For comparison, their own M5 F10 dynoed 523,25 WHP and 639,16 Nm of RW Torque stock and on the very same dyno. I don’t have a print of this run. But at the end of the video clip you will see the figures I just mentioned.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

The guys then did their Stage 4 magic consisting of:
• MHR Axle back exhaust (I opted for the one with valves)
• MHR Downpipes with cats
• MHR Carbon air boxes by Gruppe M
• MHR Power boxes
• MHR Remap

We then put the car on the dyno again with the following result:
TUNED OUTPUT 659.95 WHP and 888.80 Nm of RW Torque.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

And the dyno sheet of the MH5S Stage 4
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

We basically got an extra 100 RW HP and 200 Nm of RW torque.
Since then we made some more software modifications and let the ecu adapt itself. I am pretty sure that the car gained another 25 RW HP, and in due course I will dyno the car again.

Manhart opened up their box of tricks to get this done. The fuel pumps can’t actually supply enough fuel to my powerful engine, but MHR solved that. Impressive! The car pulls like crazy and during tests on the highway it pulls harder than a Ferrari 458 Italia and F430. On a side note I was with 3 passengers in the car. Fuel consumption has improved during cruise speeds of 70 mph to about 8.5 litres per 100km. Average consumption including hard test driving is around 14 litres per 100km. Well impressed for such a powerful car. This car is not about having some peak power, it is strong throughout the rev band.

I realize that the car has more torque than we all here thought possible with regards to the gearbox and the diff. However, I have seen how MHR “mistreat” their demo car over the past few months, and I am fully confident that it will hold. Franz even took their MH5 S on the track last weekend at the Spring Event which I also attended, without having a single issue with it, except some smoking brakes  Since we are still at early stages in tuning the M5, I am sure there is more to come, including turbo upgrades, gearbox and dif reinforcements. The top speed is currently restricted (through BMW M drivers package) at 318 km/h on the speedo, but once lifted it will do over 345 speedo km/h.

I am proud to say that with my car so far MHR produced the most powerful F10 M5 in the world at this moment, even more powerful than their own. I haven’t done any v-box runs yet, but MHR v-box tested the car from 100-200 km/h on the Autobahn in the wet at 6.5 seconds. Their own demo does 6.3 on a dry Autobahn. When running against the MHR demo from 120 km/h upwards, my car was faster with three passengers than the MHR demo with just the driver. Crazy stuff.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Below is a clip of the cold start up. The valves are always open for the first 30 seconds. It might be difficult to hear in a video clip, but it produces a mighty sound.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

And yes I will produce some v-box results. But you have to be patient. There is a 130 km/h speed limit in my country, and I don’t want to lose my licence.

I just made a small acceleration clip so you guys could see how it performs on the street. Just look at that traction control light going crazy.

Sorry for the logo, but I only needed to use this conversion tool once.

Hope you all enjoyed reading and watching this. There will be more .......
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
Below is a clip of the cold start up. The valves are always open for the first 30 seconds. It might be difficult to hear in a video clip, but it produces a mighty sound.

Sounds like a diesel truck. IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Pfffffffffffffffffffff why is it so hard to read

You can't pick up a sound with a simple camera. Yet if my diesel sounded like this I'd be real happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Then if its so difficult don't post it. Easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Ah well, whatever.
Let's go back to the thread. I put quite a lot of time into this to share a Stage 4 M5.

Last edited by M-bitious; 04-19-2013 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: not worth the discussion
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
The guys then did their Stage 4 magic consisting of:
• MHR Axle back exhaust (I opted for the one with valves)
• MHR Downpipes with cats
• MHR Carbon air boxes by Gruppe M
• MHR Power boxes
• MHR Remap
Nice write up, thanks for posting. Would you be able to supply more detail as to the cats used in their downpipes, and please tell me what the "power boxes" are and how they make more power for your engine? I know these companies do like to sell 'packages', but it would have been interesting and informative if they had done only the remap and their downpipes initially (and perhaps the power boxes if they are mandatory with the remap) to see how the engine responded. And then add the mufflers and intake later to see if there was improvement.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

It takes some balls to push your own car to these bhp levels. I think the car looks great, sounds like a weapon and you have one mighty machine!

Good on ya matey hope to see more videos soon showing all your acceleration figures.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Nice write up, thanks for posting. Would you be able to supply more detail as to the cats used in their downpipes, and please tell me what the "power boxes" are and how they make more power for your engine? I know these companies do like to sell 'packages', but it would have been interesting and informative if they had done only the remap and their downpipes initially (and perhaps the power boxes if they are mandatory with the remap) to see how the engine responded. And then add the mufflers and intake later to see if there was improvement.
From memory they're 400 cell cats, but I am sure Franz will correct me if I am wrong. What you suggest is what they have actually done. Each stage brings different components and power. On their website you can see how that works out. The power boxes are a trade secret, which allows more power than all other tuners. Noone can currently produce 660 or more WHP in an F10 M5.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the write up and info. Your car is really awesome!

I've heard the sound of the MHR exhaust in real life and can testify that it does NOT sound like a diesel truck at all Why the negativity when people post so much useful info about their car. And that from a fellow M5 owner... The only thing that comes from all that negativity is that people stop posting because they get tired of all the bashing.

Keep us updated and thanks for posting
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
On the MHR website http://www.manhart-racing.de/english...mance-kits.php you will find that MHR has 4 stages of tuning for the M5. So you can get whatever stage suits you

MHR Stage 1:
620 Hp, 720 Nm

Description:
• MHR Software Remapping

MHR Stage 2:
640 Hp, 760 Nm

Description:
• MHR Software Remapping
• MHR Performance Downpipes (Sport-Kats)

MHR Stage 3:
670 Hp, 790 Nm

Description:
• MHR Software Remapping
• MHR Rear Silencer (axleback) without valve control
• MHR Carbon Air Intake System by Gruppe M

MHR Stage 4:
700 Hp, 860 Nm

Description:
• MHR Software Remapping
• MHR Rear Silencer (axleback) without valve control
• MHR Carbon Air Intake System by Gruppe M
• MHR Performance Box

The power box is a MHR development to add boost as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
What you suggest is what they have actually done. Each stage brings different components and power. On their website you can see how that works out.
I should have looked at the MHR site before asking, thanks. I wonder how MHR deals with a customer who has already gotten an intake and another manufacturer's exhaust system? Will they sell just the remap and downpipe for the stage 4 system? Why are their prices available only by phone? They list what they offer in each stage, seems simple to list a price. I don't expect you to answer M-bitious, just wondering out loud.

Boss330, interesting if the power box is a supplemental boost package for the turbos, and why that couldn't be incorporated in the remap programming? BMW must have made fiddling with their work quite difficult.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Thanks for the write up and info. Your car is really awesome!

I've heard the sound of the MHR exhaust in real life and can testify that it does NOT sound like a diesel truck at all Why the negativity when people post so much useful info about their car. And that from a fellow M5 owner... The only thing that comes from all that negativity is that people stop posting because they get tired of all the bashing.

Keep us updated and thanks for posting
opinions are not bashing. I clearly stated IMO. Sorry we don't like the same things. Again IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

I know they also equip cars with Akrapovic exhausts. Get in touch with Franz Simon at MHR and he will provide answers to all of your questions (and probably some questions you didn't know you had ). Franz is genuinely nice person and really helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

I can only imagine it is to filter out the people that are genuinly in the market for tuning stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
opinions are not bashing. I clearly stated IMO. Sorry we don't like the same things. Again IMO.
Would you face to face say to a person you don't know that his pride and joy, sounds like a diesel truck, based on a internet video?

And after the OP had taken all the effort to post and share all this information and data about his car, which probably is the most powerful M5 at the moment, all you cared to reply about was that it sounded like a diesel truck...

Quote:
Bashing is a harsh, gratuitous, prejudicial attack on a person, group, or subject. Literally, bashing is a term meaning to hit or assault, but when it is used as a suffix, or in conjunction with a noun indicating the subject being attacked, it is normally used to imply that the act is motivated by bigotry. The term is also used metaphorically, to describe verbal or critical assaults. Topics which attract bashing tend to be highly partisan and personally sensitive topics for the bashers, the victims, or both.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #22
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Would you face to face say to a person you don't know that his pride and joy, sounds like a diesel truck, based on a internet video?

And after the OP had taken all the effort to post and share all this information and data about his car, which probably is the most powerful M5 at the moment, all you cared to reply about was that it sounded like a diesel truck...
One more time. Re read post. IMO. You don't have to like it. It's my opinion. If you like the sound then great. I don't. Lets move on. Please?
Appreciate 0