F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > so when did you get your first scratch/ding/chip
Studio RSR

04-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
so when did you get your first scratch/ding/chip

So I just took delivery of mein 335xi m sport earlier this week...

What a fantastic machine!

I love it so much that I'm so scared it may get a scratch/ding/chip soon.

so I had to go to the grocery store to pick up some groceries a few hours ago. When I was in the store, I got so worried cuz I was thinking what if some idiot hit it on the parking lot, or some kid is playing with the shopping carts around my car...I finished shopping in like 5 minutes...gosh waiting for the cashier to checkout took like forever! (there were 2 people in front of me, T.W.O!) Then I rushed out and I was so relieved when I saw it's still in perfect condition.

I'm in a dilemma. I find myself keep finding excuses to drive it more, but at the same time I'm also thinking that driving it more means higher risk of getting scratched/dinged/chipped...

I know, I know, the excitement of having a brand new car is gonna fade away. But I will try my best to keep it in perfect condition as much as I can. (I've been extremely careful with it, so far)

So...how's your bimmer doing so far? any scratch/ding/chip yet?

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
mcramen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 '11 535i xDrive SGM

Beware of shopping cart... I got one big scratch and damage on front bumper by some punk just left the shopping cart at the mall. The road was little bit downhill, so it must hit it pretty hard... Couldn't find who did and I talked to the manager of the store, but I couldn't do nothing but heard sorry...

back to topic, I remember my first damage was on rear bumper. someone must hit slightly while parking or leaving.
I'm only doing street park that only 1 car can be parked like between driveway and driveway, but I think that time I was little late and no parking space so I parked between the cars...

after that, I got this and that, front and back, windshield and hood....
well... but the car still drives OK...
however, I will definitely do opti coat on my next car for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

First week I had it. I park on the street (garages in NYC are 420+ a month), picked it up on a Wednesday, by Sunday afternoon someone had deliberately keyed the drivers side mirror cover (definitely deliberate, they tried once, it didn't quite take, only a faint mark, so they did it again harder, reached the actual paint).

Agonized over it for a few days, but eventually you get over it, and once you get that first ding/scratch and pop the cherry it isn't as bad next few times (I'm at 3 small scratches, and 2 bootprints from someone having climbed onto my car. Thankfully those wiped away).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Only damage so far was done by the dealer (scratches to paint and doorsill from changing out the rusted seats) and from road debris that took off my drivers side mirror. Other than that, nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Park far away from others, especially in lots with shopping carts lying around unattended. Its good exercise to walk. If your passengers complain, offer to drop them off or tell them to enjoy the walk.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
makro
Rep
Drives: BMW

i curbed both the rear wheels ever so slightly.....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramen View Post
Beware of shopping cart... I got one big scratch and damage on front bumper by some punk just left the shopping cart at the mall. The road was little bit downhill, so it must hit it pretty hard... Couldn't find who did and I talked to the manager of the store, but I couldn't do nothing but heard sorry...

back to topic, I remember my first damage was on rear bumper. someone must hit slightly while parking or leaving.
I'm only doing street park that only 1 car can be parked like between driveway and driveway, but I think that time I was little late and no parking space so I parked between the cars...

after that, I got this and that, front and back, windshield and hood....
well... but the car still drives OK...
however, I will definitely do opti coat on my next car for sure.
wow...i'd literally cry if someone does that to my car!

Actually the car has already got a chip on the bumper before I took delivery. but the dealer promised to replace the bumper for me.

I'm planning on opti coat my car sometime next week, after the new bumper is installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
First week I had it. I park on the street (garages in NYC are 420+ a month), picked it up on a Wednesday, by Sunday afternoon someone had deliberately keyed the drivers side mirror cover (definitely deliberate, they tried once, it didn't quite take, only a faint mark, so they did it again harder, reached the actual paint).

Agonized over it for a few days, but eventually you get over it, and once you get that first ding/scratch and pop the cherry it isn't as bad next few times (I'm at 3 small scratches, and 2 bootprints from someone having climbed onto my car. Thankfully those wiped away).
those things do happen a lot in big cities...well haters gonna hate. I don't park on streets but I still fear those things will happen to my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Only damage so far was done by the dealer (scratches to paint and doorsill from changing out the rusted seats) and from road debris that took off my drivers side mirror. Other than that, nothing.
I haven't checked under my seats yet...probably will do it sometime next month. But yea lots of people have seen similar damages after their seats are replaced...

I'm debating if I should get clear bra to protect the car from road debris. Clear bra is nice. But, I think it is way overpriced, and I don't like to be like a old granny who tries to wrap everything in plastic.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Park far away from others, especially in lots with shopping carts lying around unattended. Its good exercise to walk. If your passengers complain, offer to drop them off or tell them to enjoy the walk.
Yea that's what I'm gonna do. But at the sametime you don't want to be parked too far away from public eyes. Or people (haters) may key your car without being noticed...

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makro View Post
to be honest...my parking skills suck.
but with the parking sensors and top-view cam, parking has never been so easy for me.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

I used to stress about that stuff, but it's going to happen. It's inevitable if you drive a car on the road. With each successive car I've owned, I've got a little more relaxed. I've never been keyed so I don't know how I would react to anything like that, but I did find my first ding/chip on the hood last weekend. I shrugged it off and looked into a local PDR guy. In the end, it's just a car that I can't let myself get too attached to.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Damage to my car so far:
3x door dings (fixed 2)
1x someone rear ended my car (fixed by retrofitting m-sport body)
1x stone chipping (did a dodgy touchup myself)
1x wiper lifting scratch (did a dodgy touchup myself)
1x scratch on the rear passenger side door (did a dodgy touchup myself)

im nevery worried about scratches, and am safe as possible (park in a safe place etc), but if I ever get a scratch or a dent, i take care of it that same day..
      04-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
Damage to my car so far:
3x door dings (fixed 2)
1x someone rear ended my car (fixed by retrofitting m-sport body)
1x stone chipping (did a dodgy touchup myself)
1x wiper lifting scratch (did a dodgy touchup myself)
1x scratch on the rear passenger side door (did a dodgy touchup myself)

im nevery worried about scratches, and am safe as possible (park in a safe place etc), but if I ever get a scratch or a dent, i take care of it that same day..
I'm planning on getting some OEM touch up paints.
Just in case those things happen.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

no damage yet that i know of. i just park far away, like at school. 5minute walk but oh well no car on that side of parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
nikneo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

slightly kerbedone of my rear wheels driving out of parking lot on the second day. the sound it made made my heart stop. but touch wood.... nothing since
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
drivelikeyoustoleit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive sport line

I took mine through the touchless car wash so I could wax it and then I heard the front left wheel scraping on the metal bar that you stop on! It was the longest drive home thinking about how bad it would be. It was pretty jacked up but I used some 1000 grit wet sand paper and some wax and its not noticeable from 5 feet now!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
mcramen
Private
United_States
Rep

Like someone said earlier,
after you found first one, second one and then third one...
you will get immunized on those damage as time goes by.. I guess.

Plus, driving in the city area also gives the driver to get used to those damages...

Found one rear bumper damage, shopping cart hits, someone literally parked the car touching my rear bumper, someone vented my front license plate, got windshield dmg by flying stone while driving on belt pkwy, rock chipped hood here and there, dude sitting rear seat opens door without realizing wall is right next to it.. and so on...

but car is still look nice and people say it is nice car.

I only know the this and that damage so it gets ugly and ugly to me everyday..
when you so attach to it, it gives you stress and it will look ugly to you like I do.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #17
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Mineral Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by makro View Post
Me too, and I could not stand it, so I had them repaired.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
mcramen
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty View Post
Me too, and I could not stand it, so I had them repaired.
Got curbs on every wheels.
even got crack on front wheel.
Replace cracked one and fixed others last year..

After that time, I'm not worrying about curbs any more.
I will just replace them with other wheels and use damage wheels for winter setup after repairing...

Can't survive from those pot holes and damaged road...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #19
ft1338
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Yep, when in large parking lots you often see the other fancy cars parked at the very end and isolated. Always cracked me up but I will soon join them haha. And +1 on dropping your passengers by the front entrance. And it's so fancy they'll like it I'm sure
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
EJIB
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 Luxury 18D 143 BHP 320NM

Not scratched yet (touchwood it stays like that), just few tiny motorhood paint & windshield chips while driving highway. Meanwhile motorhood touched-up with an original BMW paint stick.
Have to say that I'm always very selective on choosing best possible parking space but you never know what happens. Car sleeps in garage at home as well as at work.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

About a week or two after I took delivery I went out to dinner one night and when I came back someone had keyed the entire left driver's side of my car. I was so pissed to say the least!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #22
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
July 1996
Appreciate 0