E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Test drove a 335i - impressions

09-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S

Test drove a 335i - impressions

2007 Corvette C6 owner here. Love my Vette, but the 335i has caught my attention. Of course, not much out there really has my interest in the sub ~50-60k range. When I started reading and hearing great things about the 335, it was interesting enough to test drive.

I'd consider myself a true car enthusiast. I've loved cars since I could learn to talk (one of my first phrases was standing up in the crib yelling "go go car car!") and had a C&D subscription when I was 9. I've owned a few Supra Turbo's, an NSX, a C5 Z06, and now the C6. I just love cars, and I'm not a brand loyalist for ANY car company. I participate in HPDE's and Auto-X when I can.

That said, the C6 is an excellent car and I'm seriously considering getting an '08. I also get bored easily, and the 335i would be a change of pace. Right now I'm leaning 60/40 towards the '08 C6. But the 335i has captured my interest. I love just about everything about the C6, except for a couple matters: 1. the steering, which is numb/vague/slow, and 2. the seats, which are flimsy and do not hold laterally very well. The interior does not bother me much at all, actually. I think it's fairly solid and looks decent on the C6's. Not quite as nice as the 335i, but nothing to scoff at. The C5Z's interior was awful, but that car was a hoot. The shifting wasn't so great until I switched out the shifter for a Callaway, and changed the fluid to Synchromax.

The C6 has acceleration, huge torque, great driving position (low slung with the hood flowing in front), gets lots of positive attention, looks great, comfortable/smooth, good cargo space, cheap to maintain/insure, good MPG and handles like it's on rails.

I test drove an Elise 6 months ago and was blown away. Unfortunately, I don't have the time for a dedicated track/weekend car right now. Getting back into the C6, the steering felt even worse than before. I wanted something else for a while. I looked at E46 M3's and 996's. Nothing grabbed my attention enough to pull me away from the C6.

Fast forward to the 335i. I actually enjoyed driving this car better than both E46 M3's I had test driven in the past. Even though they are very close in performance, the 335i just felt a lot faster with its significant increase in torque.

The car I test drove was an automatic, no flappy paddles. The transmission was extremely smooth, but I would not want the car with anything but a manual. That's just me.

The seats were firm, but comfortable. They held me very well in the corners. The car had the sports package, and the adjustable bolsters, as on other sport package BMW's, were well appreciated. Seats were slightly softer than the M3 seats, I thought. Seemed like they would be better for long trips.

Ride was very smooth. I was impressed by how planted and stable it felt at the same time. It was actually more confidence inspiring than the M3's. It felt very tossable, and I carried much more speed into corners than I did when I test drove the M3. This is with a salesman and my girlfriend weighing the car down. I know, out of the box, the M3 has higher handling capabilities. With some good sways and shocks, the 335i would be up there.

Steering was excellent, as expected. I had heard hearsay about it being "overboosted". Nonsense. The steering has substantial heft, comparable to the M3 Competition I drove, and is very responsive. Really liked the smallish steering wheel. Getting back into my C6 steering was depressing.

As much as I like the M3, this car sounds, feels, and pulls better. Looks wise, it's starting to grow on me. The E46 M3 was a classic design, but this is not a bad looking car. I think it definitely needs better wheels, for one.

Overall, ich bin impressed. I'm actually tempted. Going to test drive the 2008 C6 and see how that stands.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
assuck
u w0t m8?
United_States
Rep
Drives: LMB 13' M3

If you have the money, get both. You can't go wrong with either.

It really comes down to more luxury/ less performance vs less luxury/more performance
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
karan230
400 hp :)
India
Rep
Drives: SLK230 Sport

i thought paddle-shifters are a neccessary option if you want sport package and automatic ?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 03:19 AM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

2k8 C6 has an option package ~ 8k that says goodbye to the plasticky interior found in the 2k7.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 03:39 AM   #5
stefano7171
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
2007 Corvette C6 owner here. Love my Vette, but the 335i has caught my attention. Of course, not much out there really has my interest in the sub ~50-60k range. When I started reading and hearing great things about the 335, it was interesting enough to test drive.

I'd consider myself a true car enthusiast. I've loved cars since I could learn to talk (one of my first phrases was standing up in the crib yelling "go go car car!") and had a C&D subscription when I was 9. I've owned a few Supra Turbo's, an NSX, a C5 Z06, and now the C6. I just love cars, and I'm not a brand loyalist for ANY car company. I participate in HPDE's and Auto-X when I can.

That said, the C6 is an excellent car and I'm seriously considering getting an '08. I also get bored easily, and the 335i would be a change of pace. Right now I'm leaning 60/40 towards the '08 C6. But the 335i has captured my interest. I love just about everything about the C6, except for a couple matters: 1. the steering, which is numb/vague/slow, and 2. the seats, which are flimsy and do not hold laterally very well. The interior does not bother me much at all, actually. I think it's fairly solid and looks decent on the C6's. Not quite as nice as the 335i, but nothing to scoff at. The C5Z's interior was awful, but that car was a hoot. The shifting wasn't so great until I switched out the shifter for a Callaway, and changed the fluid to Synchromax.

The C6 has acceleration, huge torque, great driving position (low slung with the hood flowing in front), gets lots of positive attention, looks great, comfortable/smooth, good cargo space, cheap to maintain/insure, good MPG and handles like it's on rails.

I test drove an Elise 6 months ago and was blown away. Unfortunately, I don't have the time for a dedicated track/weekend car right now. Getting back into the C6, the steering felt even worse than before. I wanted something else for a while. I looked at E46 M3's and 996's. Nothing grabbed my attention enough to pull me away from the C6.

Fast forward to the 335i. I actually enjoyed driving this car better than both E46 M3's I had test driven in the past. Even though they are very close in performance, the 335i just felt a lot faster with its significant increase in torque.

The car I test drove was an automatic, no flappy paddles. The transmission was extremely smooth, but I would not want the car with anything but a manual. That's just me.

The seats were firm, but comfortable. They held me very well in the corners. The car had the sports package, and the adjustable bolsters, as on other sport package BMW's, were well appreciated. Seats were slightly softer than the M3 seats, I thought. Seemed like they would be better for long trips.

Ride was very smooth. I was impressed by how planted and stable it felt at the same time. It was actually more confidence inspiring than the M3's. It felt very tossable, and I carried much more speed into corners than I did when I test drove the M3. This is with a salesman and my girlfriend weighing the car down. I know, out of the box, the M3 has higher handling capabilities. With some good sways and shocks, the 335i would be up there.

Steering was excellent, as expected. I had heard hearsay about it being "overboosted". Nonsense. The steering has substantial heft, comparable to the M3 Competition I drove, and is very responsive. Really liked the smallish steering wheel. Getting back into my C6 steering was depressing.

As much as I like the M3, this car sounds, feels, and pulls better. Looks wise, it's starting to grow on me. The E46 M3 was a classic design, but this is not a bad looking car. I think it definitely needs better wheels, for one.

Overall, ich bin impressed. I'm actually tempted. Going to test drive the 2008 C6 and see how that stands.

Just imagine the 335 with 19" rims and +100 whp coming from a Procede 2.0 kit.... with little money you may bring the car into a 997 Carrera S territory...
      09-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan230 View Post
i thought paddle-shifters are a neccessary option if you want sport package and automatic ?
Only with the sports package
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Forecast: Sunny

I am waiting until I am in my 50's to join the Corvette club. Seems like I only see age 50+ driving them. Maybe by the time I am 50 the interior will be up to my standards. Right now it looks cheap.
      09-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano7171 View Post
Just imagine the 335 with 19" rims and +100 whp coming from a Procede 2.0 kit.... with little money you may bring the car into a 997 Carrera S territory...
Not "may"...it does! Of course, the Porsche handles a bit better, but a PROcede 335i is a bit faster.

To the OP, either the 335i or the 'Vette will probably make you very happy!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 07:21 AM   #9
archtop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

Quote:

Fabulous review,I owned an 05 Z51 C6 and sold it because of the lame steering issue.I would love to hear your review of the 08'.Some say steering feel is vastly improved others have said it is only minor.
I drive nothing but twisty winding mountain roads (Western NC) and the 335i handles them like a dream,I find it more enjoyable than my previos C6 .
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Transformer View Post
I am waiting until I am in my 50's to join the Corvette club. Seems like I only see age 50+ driving them. Maybe by the time I am 50 the interior will be up to my standards. Right now it looks cheap.
I know a few guys in their 20's and 30's around here with Vette's. Quite a few in the local Corvette Forum "chapter". They all drive like maniacs and usually have a minimum of 400rwhp.

Don't believe all the stereotypes. I'm 24.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
theprinceofpersia54
White Bimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i cabrio

u need to drive the 335i in manual, i love the transmission, so smooth when changing gears yet it can be so tight and agressive, one hell of a gear box.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
I drove a 335i Auto E90. Very impressed by the car. Cant wait to drive a 335 E92 with SP and MT...

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
forrestpilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335I Mblu sprt AT

I got the 335i with sports package and AT. Paddles are required. The AT is fantastic. According to couple of mags, faster than the MT and probably the best AT ever made. You can select the mode for the type of driving you want. Normal D for everyday and interstate driving. DS for more spirited or you can use the paddles or stick to select the gears. Found the paddles difficult in windy roads, paddles are over here and my hands are over there. Found myself using the stick more often.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
E90Russ
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (E90)

The best AT ever made? I doubt that. There are better auto transmissions like the DSG from Audi/VW.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Russ View Post
The best AT ever made? I doubt that. There are better auto transmissions like the DSG from Audi/VW.
True.
      09-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #16
SailinSand
SailinSand
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335cic

I got the paddle shifters. Fun to play with, but next time around we may consider getting the standard transmission. Don't get me wrong, either way I LOVE the 335 Convertible. Lots of fun to drive, and a beautiful car!

...My car's been in the shop since August 20th (yes, like 3 freaking weeks) and my loaner car just has the regular steptronic, w/o the paddle shifters. It's different. I think I'd rather just scrap that whole thing, and get standard.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #17
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Good to hear you like the 335i. I'm a bit biased myself but I agree with your positive comments.

If you like tracking it a lot, definitely go for the 6MT. Look in the tracking forum and you'll find people who have seriously regretted getting an auto, despite living in areas like LA. I believe reb03 even got rid of his AT and replaced it with an MT, because the AT was so unusable on a track.

Having tried out the AT though - it is smoooth. If you don't track the car, I'd definitely go for the slushbox.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #18
AF
car nut
Rep
Drives: M550i xdrive

I've got an 06 Corvette (38 yrs old ) and a 335i ... they are both awesome cars and both are such different driving experiences.

The 335i is fast but nothing beats the ROAR of the Vette and the feeling you get when sitting behind the wheel ... there is just a 'feel' to it that just feels so right.

Anyway here is the way I see it ... both the 335 and the Corvette are addicting cars to drive (This is the best compliment for a car in my book), the Vette feels like a sports car while the 335 feels like a super sports sedan. The steering in the 335 has better feel, is heavier and translates the road better but I think GM did a much better job at tuning the suspension to the runflat tires. The BMW almost feels like it has big solid rubber rocks as tires when going over bumps while the Vette 'almost' feels like non runflats in comparison. I don't know if I am describing this correctly but I guess you've driven both so you probably know what I mean.

If I had the Vette only and was looking for something new, I'd go for the 335 just for the sole reason that it is a totally different car then what you have now and most of the fun of getting a new car is learning it. You already KNOW the Vette, you will love getting to KNOW the BMW.

If you get an 08 Vette you will appreciate the changes GM made to it and then after a month you will be used to it and it will feel no different than your 07. Trust me I have done it MANY times ... car guys like us who get bored easily need change ...

Meanwhile like I said above both cars are 'addicting' to drive and both make you want to drive them even if you've got no where to go ...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #19
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Having tried out the AT though - it is smoooth. If you don't track the car, I'd definitely go for the slushbox.
There are many other reasons that I wouldn't get an auto besides tracking.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #20
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
There are many other reasons that I wouldn't get an auto besides tracking.
+1, I don't know how to drive an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #21
archtop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I've got an 06 Corvette (38 yrs old ) and a 335i ... they are both awesome cars and both are such different driving experiences.

The 335i is fast but nothing beats the ROAR of the Vette and the feeling you get when sitting behind the wheel ... there is just a 'feel' to it that just feels so right.

Anyway here is the way I see it ... both the 335 and the Corvette are addicting cars to drive (This is the best compliment for a car in my book), the Vette feels like a sports car while the 335 feels like a super sports sedan. The steering in the 335 has better feel, is heavier and translates the road better but I think GM did a much better job at tuning the suspension to the runflat tires. The BMW almost feels like it has big solid rubber rocks as tires when going over bumps while the Vette 'almost' feels like non runflats in comparison. I don't know if I am describing this correctly but I guess you've driven both so you probably know what I mean.

If I had the Vette only and was looking for something new, I'd go for the 335 just for the sole reason that it is a totally different car then what you have now and most of the fun of getting a new car is learning it. You already KNOW the Vette, you will love getting to KNOW the BMW.

If you get an 08 Vette you will appreciate the changes GM made to it and then after a month you will be used to it and it will feel no different than your 07. Trust me I have done it MANY times ... car guys like us who get bored easily need change ...

Meanwhile like I said above both cars are 'addicting' to drive and both make you want to drive them even if you've got no where to go ...

Give me a drop top roadster to compliment that 335i please!

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 12:59 AM   #22
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Russ View Post
Oh please...!

DSG is not automatic. It's a fully-automated manual transmission with a computer-controlled clutch
Appreciate 0