F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Magna Flow Exhaust
Studio RSR

04-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Magna Flow Exhaust

I got some cosmetic work done to my new 2013 msport (335i) at an aftermarket shop, and when I went to go pick my car up the head guy told he'd build me a custom exhaust with magna flow. I've been looking for an upgrade at exhaust but I havent seen any magna flow type exhaust available on the aftermarket. Should I avoid this custom exhaust? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiljustin View Post
I got some cosmetic work done to my new 2013 msport (335i) at an aftermarket shop, and when I went to go pick my car up the head guy told he'd build me a custom exhaust with magna flow. I've been looking for an upgrade at exhaust but I havent seen any magna flow type exhaust available on the aftermarket. Should I avoid this custom exhaust? Thoughts?
No reason to avoid it as long as you like the sound of the system in the end, an the price is right.
As long as they do mandrel bends to keep all the curves smooth while maintaining the tubing diameter at those bends, then flow shouldn't be a problem compared to other systems.
As I said, the sound of the mufflers is what can make or break it as they will be the biggest determiner of the exhaust sound.

Which system are you looking to get?
On their website they show 2 setups.
One is "sport" and the other "touring".
Likely, sport will be the louder one, touring the quieter and likely less or no drone.

Keep in mind the whole "drone" thing. Racier freer flowing systems tend to drone at steady cruising speeds as they sacrifice quieter sound for best flow.
It's likely that the touring option will keep the sound quieter, perhaps damping or eliminating drone, sacrificing a bit of flow.
I HATE drone. It can get very exhausting on longer drives and can be quite annoying even on daily driving.

Make sure you can get some satisfaction guarantee so that if you don't like the system installed, the shop will correct the issue.
Perhaps they can install a resonator if there is too much drone.

BTW, why is he offering a "custom" build, seeing the Magnaflow offers a whole system for your car?

I think our stock exhaust tubing is 3", but I'm not positive on that.
Find the stock spec's to make sure you're getting the right tubing.
Are you going cat back or just axle back?
If our stock system does use 3" tubing, then going with just axle back with new mufflers will give you sportier sound.

I'm sure someone with more exact knowledge of our stock system will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
619beameup
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

I just got mine put on last week and absolutly love the sound
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiljustin View Post
No reason to avoid it as long as you like the sound of the system in the end, an the price is right.
As long as they do mandrel bends to keep all the curves smooth while maintaining the tubing diameter at those bends, then flow shouldn't be a problem compared to other systems.
As I said, the sound of the mufflers is what can make or break it as they will be the biggest determiner of the exhaust sound.

Which system are you looking to get?
On their website they show 2 setups.
One is "sport" and the other "touring".
Likely, sport will be the louder one, touring the quieter and likely less or no drone.

Keep in mind the whole "drone" thing. Racier freer flowing systems tend to drone at steady cruising speeds as they sacrifice quieter sound for best flow.
It's likely that the touring option will keep the sound quieter, perhaps damping or eliminating drone, sacrificing a bit of flow.
I HATE drone. It can get very exhausting on longer drives and can be quite annoying even on daily driving.

Make sure you can get some satisfaction guarantee so that if you don't like the system installed, the shop will correct the issue.
Perhaps they can install a resonator if there is too much drone.

BTW, why is he offering a "custom" build, seeing the Magnaflow offers a whole system for your car?

I think our stock exhaust tubing is 3", but I'm not positive on that.
Find the stock spec's to make sure you're getting the right tubing.
Are you going cat back or just axle back?
If our stock system does use 3" tubing, then going with just axle back with new mufflers will give you sportier sound.

I'm sure someone with more exact knowledge of our stock system will chime in.
It's 3 inch outer diameter with a .065 wall
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

I'd go for a downpipe if you are looking for a good sound.

you'll get better gains, + the benefit of keeping your stock muffler to keep everything quiet when you arent on the throttle.
Appreciate 0