E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > New Track day toy

09-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

New Track day toy

After some reflection, I realized just how much I love my 335i coupe, and I don't want to risk it on the track any more. So I purchased a 2002 E46 M3 6MT coupe in Imola Red with 50k miles (will pick the car up in about three weeks). I'm going to make this into strictly a track day car, with the hopes of eventually using it in BMW CCA club racing. I'm planning the car's rebuild now and think I'll do it in the following stages. However, since this will be mostly a DIY, I could use some help or some pointers to some resources to accomplish this project over the winter. My plan is as follow:

Stage 1: Strip the interior (Need HELP!!! Is there a DIY for removing the interior,i.e., the carpet, radio, AC, trim, steering wheel, and seats)

Stage 2: Install of racing seats and MOMO steering wheel

Stage 3: Chassis, Brakes, and Suspension
Chassis
•TMS Reinforcement Package for E46

Suspension
•SCCA T2 Spring Set for E46 M3
•E46 M3 Upper Spring Perch (with bearing)
•TMS E36/E46 Adjustable Rear Camber Arms (Pair) Polyurethane-End
•TMS E46 M3 Performance Sway Bar Kit
•E30, E36, E46 Solid Aluminum Rear Shock Tower Mounts (pair)
•TMS E46 M3 Race Camber Caster Plates (Monoball)
•E46 M3 Competition package shocks and struts

Brakes
•E46 M3 (Front) StopTech Big Brake Kit (4 Piston, 2 Piece 332x32mm) Red Gas Slotted with HAWK Racing Brake Pads
•E39M5, E46 330, E46M3, REAR HAWK Blue Racing Brake Pads (set)
•E46 M3 Rear Euro Cross-Drilled Brake Rotor (L&R Pair)
•E46 M3 Stainless Steel Brake Line Set

The aforementioned mods should take me the duration of the winter to finish. I will probably leave the engine and drive train alone for the moment. That will be next years project

Do anyone know a good place in New York that can fabricate a roll bar for the back of the car? I don't want to do a complete roll cage just yet

Anyone have any other thoughts for this project, i.e. different order of things or different parts?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Well I didn't respond initially because I don't have enough experience or expertise to comment on your plans for the M3 (I'm just moving to r-comps). But, since no one else commented and having owned two E46 M3s I know what a great track day car it is bone stock. If you do what you've mentioned it will be a awesome. If I didn't require a more civilized car for my 23k miles/year I'd still have my 2nd one. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

try http://e46fanatics.com/
they have tons of different DIY's posted, I am sure if you post the exact same thing there you will get loads of feedback.