F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M performance brakes making noise ?
ARMA SPEED

04-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
In4mation
Rep
Drives: ///M

M performance brakes making noise ?

Anyone have experience with the M performance brakes making a constant fluttering/ticking noise while driving ?

The car is a 2013 335i msport with upgraded M performance brakes and there's a faint fluttering/ticking noise that comes from the drivers front wheel well. The noise can only be heard with the windows down and starts around 25 mph and is really loud when driven next to large road dividers and walls.

I tried to search for similar problems or solutions to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be gladly appreciated.
Appreciate 3
Fitis4.50
yoon_209352.00
      04-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I haven't heard anything yet (500 miles on them so far), are your lugs torqued evenly all around?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by In4mation View Post
Anyone have experience with the M performance brakes making a constant fluttering/ticking noise while driving ?

The car is a 2013 335i msport with upgraded M performance brakes and there's a faint fluttering/ticking noise that comes from the drivers front wheel well. The noise can only be heard with the windows down and starts around 25 mph and is really loud when driven next to large road dividers and walls.

I tried to search for similar problems or solutions to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be gladly appreciated.
Yes, mine have made the slight "ticking" sound from all four corners from day one after the M Perf brakes were installed at the VPC (~8,5xx miles) I didn't experience it when the original brakes were on the car during my ED trip in Germany. I hear it very faintly as I'm driving at speed, and then it's a touch louder when applying the brakes. (I don't hear the sound at all at slow parking lot speeds) Almost sounds like the dimples on the rotors make the sound as the pads run over them. I asked the dealer about it when the car was in for a subsequent service appointment, they said everything was in spec and the sound is normal. It bothered me at first, but I don't notice much anymore, unless I happen to be driving past a highly reflective surface (like a concrete tall barrier or retaining wall), with the windows down, and at a speed where the sound isn't drowned out by road, exhaust, and/or wind noise.

With my SA telling me it is normal, and the fact that it comes from all four corners (not just one or two) it seems like it's probably OK, but I do think it's a bit weird that you are the only other person on the forum who has mentioned it. It's faint enough that possibly others just don't notice the sound or haven't paid close enough attention??
Appreciate 2
Fitis4.50
      04-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
In4mation
Rep

I picked up my car from the dealership and they confirmed the noise and pointed out that it comes from all four corners. My SA also said that everything is plan spec and that the noise is coming from the cross drilled holes being slightly raised and hitting the brake pads. He also said the noise will subside once I break in the brakes.

Shivaswrath- Yup, validated that my lug nuts are properly torqued.

Lukeb817- Thanks for sharing your story, sorry to say but it brings a little bit of comfort to know someone else has this experience. I also wonder how many others may have this problem and never noticed. How many miles do you have on your brakes ? I drive about 20 miles a day and fear I will never get rid of this nuisance.
Appreciate 2
exE36M3486.00
      04-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
I picked up my car from the dealership and they confirmed the noise and pointed out that it comes from all four corners. My SA also said that everything is plan spec and that the noise is coming from the cross drilled holes being slightly raised and hitting the brake pads. He also said the noise will subside once I break in the brakes.

Lukeb817- Thanks for sharing your story, sorry to say but it brings a little bit of comfort to know someone else has this experience. I also wonder how many others may have this problem and never noticed. How many miles do you have on your brakes ? I drive about 20 miles a day and fear I will never get rid of this nuisance.
I had them installed at the US port before redelivery after my Euro delivery trip (~200 miles) in Munich. I think I'm up to about 8800 miles on them now, still have the sound, but it's not as pronounced as it was in the beginning...but it's still obvious in the situations described above. I'm generally accustomed to it and just enjoy the exhaust note instead and rev it a little higher to drown it out, ha ha. I can't hear it at all if the windows are up.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

As we can't compare sounds on the interwebs I can share my experience with cross drilled and slotted rotors.
I once has a Mits/Plymouth Laser/Eclipse Turbo. I bought and installed a full set of Brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors with carbon metallic pads.
They look very sweet indeed, and they were drilled all the way through not dimpled. Once installed there was a distinctly different sound. There was a bit of sound while driving with no brakes applied, and under braking there was the distinct sound of drilled/dimpled rotors that is caused by the pad moving across the holes and the air escaping/moving.
It could be described as a light "ticking".
It's not really a "problem" per se, as it's just a function of how air moves in and around the dimples and pads.
Ah, the price we pay for beauty and function.

If everything else is correct, then you're likely hearing that.
Also, BMW brakes have a "wipe" feature, when it's raining the system will automatically lightly apply the pads to the rotors to wipe water/moisture off the rotor and pad so that we don't get water induced soft/faded braking.
I don't know what the sensors are for that and if the system does this little trick even if it's not raining but you run into puddles.
But, that light pad application can also increase the brake sounds.
Another positive with drilled/dimpled rotors is that they are less affected by water, especially with drilled as there is place for any water to escape.

I recall with those rotors and carbon metallic street pads, cold braking was soft, and the pads and rotors needed some heat before full firmness could be felt and used.
I've read the same for the M Performance brakes as well.
One difference was that the carbon metallic pads didn't have nearly as much brake dust as even my stock Msport pads.
Are the M Performance pads even dustier than the stock Msport pads?
Appreciate 3
Fitis4.50
      04-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
In4mation
Rep

RPM90- Thanks for that in depth explanation, it really eases my mind. Although I never heard a noise like that on my last car with similar brakes I guess I could get used to it. I have 0 experience with the stock m sport brakes as the dealer installed the m performance brakes before I took delivery. I did however read that the m performance brakes do make a considerable amount more of brake dust then the stock m sport ones.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
F.Eduardo
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M Sport F30

Good night friend! So this week I upgraded the brakes on my 335i F30. The only thing I noticed in the issue of noise, was that when I leave the windows open, tile type esculho a noise, as if the brake pads sting on the disk that is pierced! Is that what you mean? From what I've been reading, this noise is normal, or am I wrong? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
F.Eduardo
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M Sport F30

Pictures...

I would like to show here the pictures of my brake! These are they are talking about?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
TBLM235X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 440i

I just had the M performance brake kit installed on my 435 xDrive this weekend; they were installed by my dealer (they did a great job). I had read many of the threads that included the comments about the ticking noise and the excessive brake dust. After much deliberation, I decided to go forward and get it done. I too hear the "ticking" noise if the windows are down and I listen for it. As noted, it is more prevalent when passing concrete walls/barriers. I don't find it really objectionable and may have not even noticed if I hadn't read the threads. I usually have the stereo up anyway and don't hear it at all so I'm not bothered by it as long as its normal due to the design. The brake dust is worse than I expected though; I really hope as I log some miles and they break in fully, that it lessens at least somewhat. I have my wheels coated with Opti-coat so I hope that makes clean-up much easier!

Last edited by TBLM235X; 04-13-2014 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #11
TriniJots
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Did BMW ever find a solution to this ticking noise?
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLM435 View Post
I just had the M performance brake kit installed on my 435 xDrive this weekend; they were installed by my dealer (they did a great job). I had read many of the threads that included the comments about the ticking noise and the excessive brake dust. After much deliberation, I decided to go forward and get it done. I too hear the "ticking" noise if the windows are down and I listen for it. As noted, it is more prevalent when passing concrete walls/barriers. I don't find it really objectionable and may have not even noticed if I hadn't read the threads. I usually have the stereo up anyway and don't hear it at all so I'm not bothered by it as long as its normal due to the design. The brake dust is worse than I expected though; I really hope as I log some miles and they break in fully, that it lessens at least somewhat. I have my wheels coated with Opti-coat so I hope that makes clean-up much easier!
Brake dust will get worse... it will be dust and gunk.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #13
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

i thought im the only one with this, have driven like 1000 miles and still have same problem + tick sound coming from both front sides when i turn and move slowly around parking.
      02-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #14
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i XD Alpine white

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!! This is great, the ticking sound was worrying me, I thought something was loose, etc... It does bother me, but I haven't been able to drive with the windows down do to cold weather. Windows up you can't hear it at all, only windows down when cruising.

After reading all the posts I have peace of mind now.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #15
TriniJots
Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVass View Post
I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!! This is great, the ticking sound was worrying me, I thought something was loose, etc... It does bother me, but I haven't been able to drive with the windows down do to cold weather. Windows up you can't hear it at all, only windows down when cruising.

After reading all the posts I have peace of mind now.
You are not alone! haha

I still don't have piece of mind.
I hope there is a way to get rid of the noise, it gets really loud when driving close to the curb or walls.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #16
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep

do you guys have a sound also when moving really slow around parking lots while turning around ? hard hit sound from left and right too..
      02-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #17
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

For those who hear ticking, do you have aftermarket wheels; Maybe an issue with longer wheel bolts?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #18
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

I've had mine on for around 1000 miles now. I can't say that I have heard ticking or noise of any kind from them. It might be that the Dinan Exhaust is drowning that out. Believe me the Bimmer is a lot quitter than my Vettes or my Tacomc with headers and Cat deletes. Maybe I'm just not as refined or worried about a little noise from adding performance items to the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
dad2b
General 435i Msport
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i MSport

Around 1000 miles with them and no noise, probably because I never open my windows.
But the brake dust is driving me crazy, any pads out there that don't produced a ton of dust?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #20
TriniJots
Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
do you guys have a sound also when moving really slow around parking lots while turning around ? hard hit sound from left and right too..
I haven't noticed this noise, but I'll pay attention next time I start up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2b View Post
Around 1000 miles with them and no noise, probably because I never open my windows.
But the brake dust is driving me crazy, any pads out there that don't produced a ton of dust?
M Performance brakes or M Sport brakes?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #21
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Garage List
Hi all, (new member here!)

I absolutely have this noise, 2013 335i. I had the M Performance Brakes (yellow) installed at port. Noise is very present when windows down and driving next to a curb or wall, or anything that reflects sound really. I took it to dealer and they also gave me the "its normal" reply. Though they did not say why, now that you mention the drilled rotors that actually makes sense because the air passes through.

I am just about at 10,000 miles and there has been no change in the sound at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #22
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatryan View Post
Hi all, (new member here!)

I absolutely have this noise, 2013 335i. I had the M Performance Brakes (yellow) installed at port. Noise is very present when windows down and driving next to a curb or wall, or anything that reflects sound really. I took it to dealer and they also gave me the "its normal" reply. Though they did not say why, now that you mention the drilled rotors that actually makes sense because the air passes through.

I am just about at 10,000 miles and there has been no change in the sound at all.
damnit , i have my car in dealership from yesterday i hope they would tell me something else.
it makes sense as air passes but cannot travel inside, we might have to complete half the job BMW missed doing