F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Plug
Extreme Powerhouse

04-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Plug

So. I'm thinking of installing a Fumoto engine oil drain plug (F-190) without the nipples on my bimmer.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...l_Drain_Valve/

Has anyone tried this? The convenience and ease of draining the oil are appealing. Assuming I can remove the oil filter by hand, I would not need any tools to do an oil and filter change.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Given the ease of performing an oil change on these cars, I personally would not bother.

I have not tried opening the oil filter cover by hand, but I assume there are those that can do so.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
Andy0323
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

I've had it on a previous car. It's a great investment for those who want to perform their own oil changes with minimal down time, clean up, and soiled sockets/wrenches.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

This is one of the best inventions ever and I've had one on my last two cars but I'm not sure it will work on the F30. When you open the flap under the car to access the drain plug, the plug is right there and almost flush with the flap. Not sure there's enough room for the fumoto and to be able to close the flap back. There might be enough room but it will be very close.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
This is one of the best inventions ever and I've had one on my last two cars but I'm not sure it will work on the F30. When you open the flap under the car to access the drain plug, the plug is right there and almost flush with the flap. Not sure there's enough room for the fumoto and to be able to close the flap back. There might be enough room but it will be very close.
I guess I'll find out this weekend. Already took delivery and ready for installation this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Cool, let us know. If there is clearance, I'll have to pick one up.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Okay. So I changed the oil today and tried to install the Fumoto oil drain plug. Well it won't work because the drain plug is located inside an oval cut out located at the bottom sheet metal just below the motor. The sheet metal gets in the way such that you cannot screw the Fumoto plug into the drainage hole. I suppose if one was inclined, they could take the time to remove the bottom sheet metal. But that is too much trouble for me. Not worth the time or effort. Also the oval cut out did not have a cover like some examples I saw on a google search. It was just a open oval with direct access to the drain plug without any cover. Btw this is on a 2013 F30 335i xDrive. I'm somewhat irritated that the vendor would not take the time to distinguish the difference and advertise that it fits on all F30. Well that's not the case and it's annoying that they don't give a shit.

They advertise that it will fit on all F30's. Well that is just plain wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

safe to assume the same for n20/n26? but like someone said previously.. changing oil on the n20/n26 is so simple.. how much more easier can it get?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
cbarlow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335ix, 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
the oval cut out did not have a cover like some examples I saw on a google search. It was just a open oval with direct access to the drain plug without any cover. Btw this is on a 2013 F30 335i xDrive.
Can anyone confirm this? I'm planning to do an oil change on my 2013 F30 335i xDrive later today. I've done 100+ oil changes on other vehicles. This is just the first on my BMW.

Like dude987, I'm looking for an access door but do not see one. The described oval in the sheet metal is under the front center of the vehicle and is aligned with the rear of the front tires. It has a 17mm bolt right there.

I'm sure this is it, but figured better to confirm than make a mistake and regret not asking.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarlow View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I'm planning to do an oil change on my 2013 F30 335i xDrive later today. I've done 100+ oil changes on other vehicles. This is just the first on my BMW.

Like dude987, I'm looking for an access door but do not see one. The described oval in the sheet metal is under the front center of the vehicle and is aligned with the rear of the front tires. It has a 17mm bolt right there.

I'm sure this is it, but figured better to confirm than make a mistake and regret not asking.

I do not have a xDrive like you, but from the looks/location of the drain bolt, I'm 99% certain that's the bolt. TQ spec is 20-22lbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0323 View Post
I've had it on a previous car. It's a great investment for those who want to perform their own oil changes with minimal down time, clean up, and soiled sockets/wrenches.
what exactly does it do?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
cbarlow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335ix, 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
I do not have a xDrive like you, but from the looks/location of the drain bolt, I'm 99% certain that's the bolt. TQ spec is 20-22lbs.
Thanks for the reply! Given dude987's post, i too was 99% sure and went ahead with it. It was indeed the oil drain bolt. Seems there is a bit of variation across F30 models. Not sure if it's engine or xDrive that causes it to vary.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 06:21 PM   #13
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Okay. So I changed the oil today and tried to install the Fumoto oil drain plug. Well it won't work because the drain plug is located inside an oval cut out located at the bottom sheet metal just below the motor. The sheet metal gets in the way such that you cannot screw the Fumoto plug into the drainage hole. I suppose if one was inclined, they could take the time to remove the bottom sheet metal. But that is too much trouble for me. Not worth the time or effort. Also the oval cut out did not have a cover like some examples I saw on a google search. It was just a open oval with direct access to the drain plug without any cover. Btw this is on a 2013 F30 335i xDrive. I'm somewhat irritated that the vendor would not take the time to distinguish the difference and advertise that it fits on all F30. Well that's not the case and it's annoying that they don't give a shit.

They advertise that it will fit on all F30's. Well that is just plain wrong.
Had the same interference issue on our 328d. I filed a little relief out of the sheet metal to install. Probably took 5 min to get the clearance.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 04:24 AM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Personally, I would be more worried that over time that valve may leak & all the oil run out of the engine vs. the 10sec it takes to remove the OEM drain plug bolt...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Personally, I would be more worried that over time that valve may leak & all the oil run out of the engine vs. the 10sec it takes to remove the OEM drain plug bolt...
I wouldn't worry. I've had them on our vehicles for years and they all go through the intense sand/salt regimen each winter without a leak. I've also had one on my 25,000 lb excavator for 7 years with no issue. Can't imagine a road car going through near the same abuse.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
Don't be surprised if you do have a problem. Brian from Kiesmotorsports is a member here and he posted his youtube vid when he went over a bump and took out his fumoto. Pissed oil all over the street...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #17
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
Don't be surprised if you do have a problem. Brian from Kiesmotorsports is a member here and he posted his youtube vid when he went over a bump and took out his fumoto. Pissed oil all over the street...
He made an installation error. He used an extension adapter, I'd guess to avoid the same clearance issues during installation. This certainly put the valve below the protection of the belly pan.
Mine uses no extension and is recessed in relation to the belly pan.
If that concerned it wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a plate that attaches to the belly pan to offer maximum protection.
Devil is in the details.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #18
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
He made an installation error. He used an extension adapter, I'd guess to avoid the same clearance issues during installation. This certainly put the valve below the protection of the belly pan.
Mine uses no extension and is recessed in relation to the belly pan.
If that concerned it wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a plate that attaches to the belly pan to offer maximum protection.
Devil is in the details.
While a recessed install would probably have helped in his install, I still am a little worried that a big hit to that area could result in a involuntary mass draining of oil with a Fumoto. At least with a regular drain plug, it's less likely for that to happen...and if you took a big enough hit in that area, it would most likely just shear the bolt head off, leaving the oil in the pan where it belongs.

Of course with that level of damage, you're going to have bigger concerns than whether your oil stays in the pan or not...like whether you still have wheels left on the car...or an oil pan for that matter.

Not trying to knock Fumoto or their products. I think it is slick what they do and there's certainly applications where this product is a god send.

Yes, you can fabricate an extra protective plate if you choose, but I for one will not be adding hillbilly armor to my undercarriage...lol
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #19
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I've looked into installing one of these before and based on various forum posts here and elsewhere (for several makes/model of cars).... i've come to the conclusion that there is a small chance of "disaster."

Not worth the risk considering it's only minimal extra work to do it the standard way.
      06-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #20
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

Fumoto F109S Valve WILL NOT FIT

I will confirm for the following owners: N55 engines (at least my 2014 335 N55). No Fumoto Valve will fit safely on this engine.

I purchased the F109S setup. On the N55 motor, the plug is pointed virtually straight down. It will thread in, but the F109S body is just too large. When attempting to close the oil drain plug door, you're left with a substantial "hump" in the undercarriage plate. All it will take is a simply bump in the road and your Fumoto plug will be ripped right off.

It's a shame because I've used these before on other vehicles and the product worked so well. Maybe it will fit on my wife's X3 with the N20 motor.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #21
jacie6056
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Any success on N55 335i or 435i with different type of fitting.
For example: F109 instead ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #22
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
While a recessed install would probably have helped in his install, I still am a little worried that a big hit to that area could result in a involuntary mass draining of oil with a Fumoto. At least with a regular drain plug, it's less likely for that to happen...and if you took a big enough hit in that area, it would most likely just shear the bolt head off, leaving the oil in the pan where it belongs.

Of course with that level of damage, you're going to have bigger concerns than whether your oil stays in the pan or not...like whether you still have wheels left on the car...or an oil pan for that matter.

Not trying to knock Fumoto or their products. I think it is slick what they do and there's certainly applications where this product is a god send.

Yes, you can fabricate an extra protective plate if you choose, but I for one will not be adding hillbilly armor to my undercarriage...lol
I think she read your post before conducting this experiment...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ong-Beach.html
Appreciate 0