2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums USA - NY/NJ/PA/CT Next CT/NJ/NY meeting - DATE TBD - let's pick a venue

03-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Next CT/NJ/NY meeting - DATE TBD - let's pick a venue

This is going to the second meet of the season on the back a very successful first one at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn this past Mar. 23 2012.

Preliminary idea:

Lake Mohonk Mountain House - first half of May 2013 - less than two hours from NYC.

I have been there several times and it's both a very pleasant scenic drive to get there and a great venue.
The pic above is what it looks like in summer.

Going to call them to discuss logistics (parking for 40 cars), a food buffet, activities for adults and kids as well as lodging to offer as an option to members who would want to make a week-end get-away out of this.

Info:

The Wikipedia entry of the Mohonk Mountain House is here.

Their web site is here.

The Mohonk Mountain House, also known as Lake Mohonk Mountain House, is a historic American resort hotel located on the Shawangunk Ridge in Ulster County, New York. Its prominent location in the town of New Paltz is just beyond the southern border of the Catskill Mountains on the western side of the Hudson River. Two important policy conferences of domestic and international significance have taken place at the hotel.

What's the big idea here?

We have nice toys, parking and admiring them feels like a compromise.
Why not drive them together and still meet to chat and spend some time with food in hand at the destination?

The destination/ venue should also be an interesting one for everyone.
Bring your girlfriend, wife, kids - loved ones who should be able to partake a little more than by just tagging-along.

Is this day-trip?

Yes, we would form a caravan for those who would want to join, drive up, have a nice lunch, some fun all afternoon and finally drive back.
If you prefer to stay the night, I'll talk to them about extending a special night rate or we can look-up hotels in the area.

Any other ideas?

This is harder to pull-off but I have contacted the Monticello Raceway, which is not too far.
I figure if the Mountain House idea doesn't work-out, more people might show-up if the meet is at the track!
If anyone is in the business of selling something to BMW owners and our meets are of interest, please contact me, we need your money/ sponsorship!

Mar. 26 Edit: added weather and alternative venues.

Weather Forecast for April:

****** As an alternative, Edgewater, NJ:

It's close enough for everyone in the boroughs around NYC to get to.
Right on the water, nice views and plenty of parking, in particular if meeting on a Sunday when all businesses are closed, except for the ones serving food, like Mitsuwa.

All on River Road:

1) I'll contact Starbucks but I doubt they'll want to host anything.

2) we could meet at Mitsuwa Marketplace. It's a Japanese supermarket but it also has a buffet court of sorts with pretty good food.
It'd a nice Japanese experience.
Behind their secondary building, there is a whole strip of parking spots we could take-up.. See top right corner rectangle below.

3) If you guys would like to hit a few golf balls, we can pick the Edgewater Golf Range.
They have plenty of parking and they may be more interested in hosting our meet.

See the Google Map screenshot for all three choices and their respective parking space.

****** Other alternative, Englewood, NJ

Boat Basin & Picnic Area north of the George Washington Bridge
:

With a picnic, playground and visitor center.
Click the screenshots below to go to the Google Maps.

****** Other alternative, Fort Lee, NJ

The Ross Dock Picnic Area on the Henry Hudson Dr.
A little closer to the bridge (doesn't come up on Google Maps), just 0.5 miles north of the GWB

Also with a picnic, playground and visitor center.
Click the screenshots below to go to the Google Maps.

I would like everyone to propose alternative venues and dates.

Don't want to post here? email bmwmeets at gmail dot com

This post will be edited with relevant info as we progress.

Last edited by v12; 03-26-2013 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0