F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust grind?
Studio RSR

03-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Exhaust grind?

So I just installed the JB4 stage 1, and it's probably a coincidence, but there seems to be a grinding in the exhaust when I turn the car off (most of the time) and sometimes when starting.

It's like the flap or whatever that people use the golf tee mod to keep open is failing, but not sure. It's just a split second squeak or grind noise when starting or turning the engine off, sometimes it does it on one or the other.

Any ideas? I swear I saw this being talked about before but fail at searching apparently.

Edit: Just found the other thread with people having the same issue. Quite annoying. I JUST got it back from being serviced and new software update a few days ago.

Last edited by tdizzle; 03-23-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Garage List
Damn Dude, that sucks! I don't think I've had that issue. How's the car feel otherwise?

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKTENN View Post
Damn Dude, that sucks! I don't think I've had that issue. How's the car feel otherwise?
It was so weird, like immediately after I hooked it up I swear it started. It's the actuator motor. I just unplugged it when the car was off and now it stays open all the time and no more squeal. As a bonus the exhaust sounds like it should all the time. Never knew why it closed anyway. I just need to put some tape or something over the connection opening to prevent the unlikely occurrence of something getting in there.

Have you ever listening to the engine with the cover off? It's pretty loud, lots of ticking. I heard it before with the cover on, but when I did my initial start up after the tune with it off, I really noticed it. I'm assuming it's normal, but not something I'm used to and wonder if it has something to do with turbos?

As far as the tune. It's hard to say. If feels slightly stronger to me, but I haven't been able to really push it as a comparison to what I did yesterday. It's been raining on and off and the roads are still moist so 0-60 runs just result in a lot of wheel spin.

I did take it on the highway and did some 60-90 runs. It feels strong, but how much I'm not sure. I did a 30-60 run and it felt super quick but I didn't video it. I did get wheel spin doing a 20-60 run which was amusing though but the roads weren't fully dry either.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes, the ticking is normal and very loud without the engine cover. I think its from the direct injection injectors.

As far as the exhaust actuator, unplugging it didn't cause a cel? Most everything i've read on here is you need to remove some spring and manually tie down the actuator in the open position. I haven't really heard anyone just unplugging it (wire harness), and letting it be. I left mine alone as the driver side will automatically open after about a minute and half of warming up and, as far as I could tell, stays open.

I'm telling you though, you'll notice even more power from the tune over the next couple days.

I'm sick of this rain stuff! Although I guess it doesn't matter for me with my car 1 leg down crying in the garage.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the ticking is normal and very loud without the engine cover. I think its from the direct injection injectors.

As far as the exhaust actuator, unplugging it didn't cause a cel? Most everything i've read on here is you need to remove some spring and manually tie down the actuator in the open position. I haven't really heard anyone just unplugging it (wire harness), and letting it be. I left mine alone as the driver side will automatically open after about a minute and half of warming up and, as far as I could tell, stays open.

I'm telling you though, you'll notice even more power from the tune over the next couple days.

I'm sick of this rain stuff! Although I guess it doesn't matter for me with my car 1 leg down crying in the garage.

Haha, I know right! And you need to get that tire fixed

I looked up a few threads and it seemed no F30 owner has thrown a code by unplugging it. One guy said he left it unplugged and just plugged it back in when he brings it to the dealer and nothing has been said.

I didn't get any messages in the dash but haven't driven it since I unplugged it, just ran it for a minute or two.

As far as the cold start idle, if you notice it gets quieter after awhile. I think that's the actuator closing. Most everyone has a tail pipe that collects more soot than the other which is from the actuator being closed most of the time and forcing the exhaust through just one pipe.

I think the idea is to keep the car quiet unless you're under moderate to heavy throttle. Keeping the actuator open will basically leave the exhaust open as it would under heavy throttle.

At least that's how I understand it. I know when it was warm and idling only one was open. When I unplugged it, both stay open all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mine seems to be the opposite. Starts closed (verified visually and by the feel of fumes from only one side), then opens after warming for awhile which lowers exhaust note and clearly fumes are coming out of both pipes. After that I believe it only closes again when engine shuts off.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine seems to be the opposite. Starts closed (verified visually and by the feel of fumes from only one side), then opens after warming for awhile which lowers exhaust note and clearly fumes are coming out of both pipes. After that I believe it only closes again when engine shuts off.
Yea, I think you're right at first where it it just one and it's probably just loud because of the higher idle speed when it's cold started.

I'm almost positive that they close again once it's warmed up a bit and only opens under higher throttle. If I wasn't lazy, I'd go plug it back in and double check...

I do know that when I started the car, I could hear the actuator closing (the car was warmed up already) then when I'd turn it off it would open (always opens when you turn the car off). I could hear the nasty squeak so it was obvious it was opening and closing. Harder to hear at start but was painfully loud when it opened when I shut the engine off.

Maybe if you get bored, let your car warm up and see if it's open and both pipes are pushing out exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

How do you unplug the actuator?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
How do you unplug the actuator?
Just slide under the driver's side exhaust and you'll see an electronic connection similar to the TMAP in the engine bay. It's pretty obvious once you take a look.
Appreciate 0