E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Downpipe Leak Question

03-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
RobsgottaM3
Roll Tide Roll!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/Slick-Top/Single Hump/6MT

Downpipe Leak Question

I installed a set of PLM downpipes about 2 weeks ago and I think I have an exhaust leak but I am not 100% sure. It sounds like a rattle/hiss. Its only noticeable on startup when the engine is cold and under acceleration. If you have the windows up you can't hear it at all. If you rev the engine while in park or neutral you can't hear anything. I have replaced the gaskets from the DP to the mid-pipes but the sound didn’t change. Could it be the waste gates or turbo? I know it's hard to diagnose without hearing the actual sound but I wanted to see if anyone else ran into this problem. The car seems to be running fine until I get high in the RPM's then it seems to shudder. I haven’t had a chance to sun any logs yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
      03-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

probably just WG rattle, normal when installing dps . as long as the car runs fine dont bother......
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
RobsgottaM3
Roll Tide Roll!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
probably just WG rattle, normal when installing dps . as long as the car runs fine dont bother......
Anyway to cure the rattle? Adjustments?
      03-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Only way is with a tune
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
RobsgottaM3
Roll Tide Roll!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Only way is with a tune
Can you give a little more detail please? I have a JB4...
      03-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
GTstunna612
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
E90 335i  [0.00]
think there is a rattle fix you have to mess around with the JB4 settings...I will have to do the same since Im having my DPs installed in a few
      03-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
RobsgottaM3
Roll Tide Roll!
United_States
Rep

I am planning on messing with the JB4 settings today. I will let you guys know what happens.
      03-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
RobsgottaM3
Roll Tide Roll!
United_States
Rep

Changed the future use setting on the JB4 and it seems to have helped a little bit. Still getting a sound under acceleration. I am going to try and adjust the actuator arm. I hope this helps. I hate that my car sounds like a POS.
      03-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Does your interior smell funny at idle? A leak between the turbo flange and downpipe lets exhaust gasses come in through the air conditioning and the cabin smells like exhaust. If you don't smell this then you could rule out a leak.

It does sound a lot like WG rattle from how you've described it. Did you check Youtube videos to see if you can find a match?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
RobsgottaM3
Roll Tide Roll!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Does your interior smell funny at idle? A leak between the turbo flange and downpipe lets exhaust gasses come in through the air conditioning and the cabin smells like exhaust. If you don't smell this then you could rule out a leak.

It does sound a lot like WG rattle from how you've described it. Did you check Youtube videos to see if you can find a match?
I don't have any type of smell in the car. I have watched the videos but it is hard to compare the sound with the quality of the videos. Too bad no one in my area is a expert.
      03-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

What a lot of people find out is that they have a minor wastegate rattle that they can't hear until they get downpipes which make it more audible. Another possibility is that the downpipes are rattling together. I had this happening on cold starts for a while and had to finally crawl under the car to adjust them.

Try the JB4 values if it seems to be helping. If you can't fix it with the JB4 values then you could check the pipes to see if they are touching anywhere. Anything to prevent having to adjust them manually.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Lux3m35i
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

I also have a noise since I installed DPs on acceleration/load. I don't hear anything on idle or if I rev up in neutral. If windows are closed, I have to listen carefully to hear it.

And yep it is hard to explain the sound.. like rattle/rasp..

I surely have WG rattle which can be eliminated with procede.
But if someone has WG rattle, you would probably hear it at idle or when you rev up in neutral and the RPM drops. Also on deceleration.

I will change my DPs on Tuesday because they don't fit well.. hopefully it will also eliminate this creepy sound!

But I worry that this sound is a normal sound which comes with catless DPs dependably on which exhaust you are using and the conditions of your exhaust/turbos.

Which exhaust do you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
RobsgottaM3
Roll Tide Roll!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux3m35i View Post
I also have a noise since I installed DPs on acceleration/load. I don't hear anything on idle or if I rev up in neutral. If windows are closed, I have to listen carefully to hear it.

And yep it is hard to explain the sound.. like rattle/rasp..

I surely have WG rattle which can be eliminated with procede.
But if someone has WG rattle, you would probably hear it at idle or when you rev up in neutral and the RPM drops. Also on deceleration.

I will change my DPs on Tuesday because they don't fit well.. hopefully it will also eliminate this creepy sound!

But I worry that this sound is a normal sound which comes with catless DPs dependably on which exhaust you are using and the conditions of your exhaust/turbos.

Which exhaust do you have?
I am running the stock exhaust with PLM DP's. I also have Cyba Tips but I know they have no effect on the sound.
      03-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
Rookie83
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 6mt cpe

Ive noticed this as well after installing dp's. The best description i could give of mine is it sounds like bolts sitting on top of a vibrating piece of sheet metal or something. I always here it the loudest right a 3k rpm and then i goes away as soon as i get passed that.
      03-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Evochuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie83 View Post
Ive noticed this as well after installing dp's. The best description i could give of mine is it sounds like bolts sitting on top of a vibrating piece of sheet metal or something. I always here it the loudest right a 3k rpm and then i goes away as soon as i get passed that.
This could the RPM at wich the WG open at WOT (aka full boost so WG open to vent extra exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
RobsgottaM3
Roll Tide Roll!
United_States
Rep

I wish I knew before installing the pipes. I wouldn't have. I would have spent the money on Meth for when I go to the track. This is just really pissing me off. Car sounds like a civic with crap exhaust.
      03-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Lux3m35i
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Changed my DP's today an the new ones fit much better. But the noise didn't go away.

Did you guys ever tried natural aspirated (N/A) mode? Any difference?

Because if I change to N/A there is no difference at all. But if wastegate causes this problem the noise should disappear, right?

Or are we talking about "rasp"? Which comes with DPs depending on which exhaust you are using.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
Ace_HollyWood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 APW e92 335i

please list brands of DP's! it would help a ton! thanks
Appreciate 0