F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Opti Coat vs Klasse Twins
Extreme Powerhouse

03-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport - 6MT - GS

Opti Coat vs Klasse Twins

So my buddy who has a Silver e350 recently got his car detailed and opti-coated for 600 bucks. His car is about 1 month older than mine.

Well he came by at about dusk as I was finishing putting on my 2ndlayer of Klasse SG. We compared both and my car was much shinier and felt smoother.

I know it's not exactly an Apples to Apples comparison but there was a significant difference and i'm so glad I went with the Klasse Twins even though all my Neighbors think i'm a freak show because I have literally washed and "waxed" the car 5 times since I bought it 3 weeks ago.

Planning to put another layer of Klasse SG and then I still have 2-3 coats of P21S 100% Carnuba.

don't get me wrong, Opti Coat still looked really good and you can't go wrong if you don't want/can't put in the work.

Last edited by SwnSng; 03-14-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

I chose Opti-Coat for the apply and forget benefits. Since I don't really have a convenient area to wash and wax my car regularly, it's great that I can just get some opti-coat, and then for the next few years just run the car through some good car washes and it'll stay shiny.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
I chose Opti-Coat for the apply and forget benefits. Since I don't really have a convenient area to wash and wax my car regularly, it's great that I can just get some opti-coat, and then for the next few years just run the car through some good car washes and it'll stay shiny.
I would have gone with Opti-Coat as well in your shoes.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

It's possible the e350 wasn't prepped correctly. Maybe no clay bar done prior to opti-coat application.

Regardless it is good to hear because I also chose the Klasse twins over opti-coat and have 2 unopened bottles in my garage waiting to be applied to our 335i when it arrives in a couple weeks.

Just curious, i was debating a quick clay bar on the car then going straight to the high gloss sealant since it's brand new paint I was thinking about skipping the AIO cleaner/sealer step. Did you do both?

I do plan on using both of the twins on my wifes X3, it's in almost perfect condition as well but is almost 2 years old so I figured I should use both.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
It's possible the e350 wasn't prepped correctly. Maybe no clay bar done prior to opti-coat application.

Regardless it is good to hear because I also chose the Klasse twins over opti-coat and have 2 unopened bottles in my garage waiting to be applied to our 335i when it arrives in a couple weeks.

Just curious, i was debating a quick clay bar on the car then going straight to the high gloss sealant since it's brand new paint I was thinking about skipping the AIO cleaner/sealer step. Did you do both?

I do plan on using both of the twins on my wifes X3, it's in almost perfect condition as well but is almost 2 years old so I figured I should use both.
I actually did 2 rounds of AIO becasue I was paranoid I didn't take out all of the OLD wax the first time.

This was my process.

Wash - Clay - Wash - AIO - AIO - SG - 12hr Cure - Wash - SG

I will be doing three layers of SG. You will notice it shine after 1 application of SG but it gets better even with 2. I hear it's diminishing returns after 3.

I say go with the AIO...it's very easy to apply and take off. SG on the other hand don't use to much product and you can do wipe on wipe-off method...or use detailer to help wipe off.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Sounds good. For the AIO did you do a panel at the time, pretty much wipe on / wipe off? What about the SG? Same? I've watched a few youtube videos and they are all different, i can even find different application techniques on AutoGeek forums.

Since I've never used a sealant I have a slight bit of apprehensiveness. I'll be topping the SG off with some high end Pinnacle carnuba.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Sounds good. For the AIO did you do a panel at the time, pretty much wipe on / wipe off? What about the SG? Same? I've watched a few youtube videos and they are all different, i can even find different application techniques on AutoGeek forums.

Since I've never used a sealant I have a slight bit of apprehensiveness. I'll be topping the SG off with some high end Pinnacle carnuba.
It's really up to you. Supposedly the bond is on contact. With AIO and SG i do one-two panels at a time just how I feel about it. AIO is no sweat and SG can be a pain but if you put to much product on it can come off easily with a detailer spray and MF towel. Let the SG cure a bit 15-20 mins and then wipe off with a detailing MF tower and some quick detailer. I use Sonus Acrylic Glanz as the "detailing spray" because it's like Klasse SG in a bottle but i'm sure any detailer would do. I've let SG sit over night before, and I will never do that again because that was a complete PITA to remove all the high marks and saw no gains from just WO/WO.

Have fun and don't worry about SG...you will love the results!
Appreciate 0