E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > OBD-II coming for iOS!

03-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

OBD-II coming for iOS!

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/12/automatic-link-app-and-bluetooth-adapter-create-connected-car-for-diagnostics-and-safety/

Looks pretty sweet. Can read and reset codes. Might pick one up.
      03-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e60 550i RWD 6MT

I have as $30 bucks adapter but it is for an Android platform, works awesome, plus you have to buy a $5 app to work with it; but I can not get an ipad mini because it won't support that reader(iphone as a phone, Nexus & as a tablet). You can setup any real time info/gauges, run all the logs, clear/reset codes and a ton more. Definitely worth the money. This are good news, but $70 bucks a a bit much for that I think.
      03-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Neothin87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

biggest issue is that BMW doesnt run full range on boost through the OBDII port. Wish it had oil temp too
      03-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
GuidoDoc
GuidoDoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler JKU

Garage List
I just read an article about this too. Very interested. I sent a message to the company about compatibility with e90 n55. I'll post their reply when I hear something.
      03-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Curious how this stacks up against the Lemur Blue Driver monitor which I use on my iPhone and iPad. The Lemur does not remove shadow codes, so I wonder if this does.

Someone needs to buy and review v the Lemur Blue Driver

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
smooth1
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neothin87 View Post
biggest issue is that BMW doesnt run full range on boost through the OBDII port. Wish it had oil temp too

It does have Oil temp, but elaborate on the boost range issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth1 View Post
BMW's boost reading through the OBD port maxes out at 120 kPa (17.4 psi), even if the actual boost being run is higher. Not an issue for people running stock, but it can be for highly modded and aggressively tuned cars.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
smooth1
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Oh, the OBD2 protocol limit. I thought you meant there was a factory limitation in place!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Neothin87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
BMW's boost reading through the OBD port maxes out at 120 kPa (17.4 psi), even if the actual boost being run is higher. Not an issue for people running stock, but it can be for highly modded and aggressively tuned cars.
It actually doesnt read higher than ~3 lbs from the normal PID. The BMW specific PID should go full range, but i haven't been able to come across that anywhere. If you have it, please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth1
I havent gotten oil temp from the port, not sure how you're getting it
      03-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
der_kommissar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Midnight Blue X1 xDrive28

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I'm interested too. Do you think it draws power while the car is off? I'd be a bit worried of leaving it plugged in and adding to the drain on the battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neothin87 View Post
It actually doesnt read higher than ~3 lbs from the normal PID. The BMW specific PID should go full range, but i haven't been able to come across that anywhere. If you have it, please share
I'm referring to the reading from the INPA app, which is included in the software bundle that most people end up getting when doing coding. I can't remember offhand how to get to the specific display that shows boost (and since I don't have an FI car I couldn't go out and check anyway), but when working with a friend who had the Dinan S3 tune on his car, I remember INPA giving a reading of 120 kPa at WOT; that friend later talked to Dinan about it and was informed that that's the max value INPA will ever show there.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
johmei
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Is this new? What about: http://www.plxdevices.com/product_cat.php?id=GSST
Difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
Neothin87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

the Kiwi devices have been around for a while. pretty good

I have an obdlink MX for the higher read rates
      03-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
ef11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport

This looks really cool...I'm definitely interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
Kumar_Shah
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Just read this. Thought others may be interested in getting. See full story with photos on the web site of Automatic Link. Looks like I can also stop paying for BMW Assist after my warranty is up.

Gotta Be Mobile » Auto » $69 iPhone Gadget Turns Any Car Into iCar
This $69 gadget from Automatic turns almost any car into an iCar.
$69 iPhone Gadget Turns Any Car Into iCar
Josh Smith — 03/12/2013

Automatic is a $69 iPhone gadget that connects to almost any car to save gas, warns you about mechanical problems, documents trips, provides emergency assistance and much more.

Users plug the Automatic Link into the diagnostic port found on cars made in 1996 and later and connects to the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 with Bluetooth 4.0 to turn almost any car into a smart iCar.

Once connected to a car, the Automatic App connects and monitors trip information anytime the user gets in the car, bringing new car features without the new car price. Automatic believes the app will help users pay for the $69 App Link in a month or two by thanks to cutting one or two gas stations visits.

The Automatic App and Link pair up anytime the car is on, and supports multiple users so it is easy for a family to share a car. The Automatic Link is available for pre-order today for $69 and ships in May. The app and accessory are iPhone only to start, but an Android version is slated for the fall.

Helps You Save Gas

Automatic provides trip tracking and real-time feedback for drivers. Audible feedback lets users know when you use driving behavior that negatively impacts fuel efficiency like hard stops and fast accelerations. The app also tracks this on a per trip basis and provides an overall score to help users change their driving behavior.

The Automatic App helps users drive smarter and save cash.

The Automatic App helps users drive smarter and save cash, without the need to by a new car.

Part of teaching better driving behavior is with data. The app provides a beautiful looking interface that offers MPG ratings for each trip and identifies behavior on each trip. By combining this information with the cost of gas put into the car, users can quickly see how much they can save by driving better.

Users don’t need to open the app to enter fuel prices and quantities. The Automatic Link can measure fuel added and the app uses location data to input the likely price paid. This makes tracking fuel efficiency and the amount of money saved seamless.
Spots Engine Problems

Use the iPhone to see why the check engine light is on with Automatic.

Use the iPhone to see why the check engine light is on with Automatic.

The Automatic Link also pushes a notification when there is a problem with the engine or other part of the car. The Link sends a detailed message about any Check Engine lights so drivers can immediately know if it is safe to keep driving. If there is a possible fix, users can attempt the fix and then turn the check engine light off with their iPhone. This saves a trip to an auto parts store or an expensive trip to a mechanic to find out that the gas tank lid isn’t tight.

The app can also help users find a nearby mechanic and show Yelp ratings, which should prove handy for engine problems while away from home.
Share Location Data

The app allows for multiple approved users and makes sharing a car easier. The app will let a family member know where the car is parked so picking it up for a trip is a simple affair. Parents can also look at trips their kids take and identify bad driving behavior.
Emergency Assistance

The Automatic Link and app also provide emergency alerts in the event of an accident. The app can alert 911 with your location and can push alerts to select contacts.

Unlike some other gadgets and services like On Star, the emergency assistance is provided without any monthly fees.

The Automatic app is an affordable way to upgrade your car.

The Automatic app is an affordable way to upgrade your car.

Automatic is expected to arrive in big box retailers later this year, but is only available online now.

Automatic can push app updates through the iTunes App Store and can update the Automatic Link with over the air updates that download to the Link from an iPhone. Because the Link is not built into the car, Automatic claims they can push updates faster than car companies.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #16
james520
Rep
Drives: bmw

search in diyobd2.fr they are a lot of obd2 tools there
and i bought one and it is works well
Appreciate 0