E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > engine trouble in PA- advice/suggestions

03-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
jblewitt10xi
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

engine trouble in PA- advice/suggestions

I'm going to lay out the facts as i know them and could use some advice from people that have been in a similar situation or know what they're talking about.

2010 328i x-drive 6 speed manual 43,xxx miles. CPO warranty and extended maintenance plan. Located in Pennsylvania.

about 38,xxx miles i noticed a weird slipping when applying the gas in higher gears. I automatically assumed the worst and thought it had something to do with my transmission for various reasons but thought it strange because i had always driven a manual transmission with no problems.

took it to the dealer for routine service (and to replace tires) and informed them about the issue. they said no problem we'll take a look.

they returned the car and stated that they couldn't recreate my issue and suggested i accompany them on a test drive to diagnose the problem.

I didn't have time to do it then but explained my problem to someone at work and they suggested i go to another dealer to see if they could diagnose as they were a much larger franchise with a huge service dept.

I took the car there and they came back with the same response. So i went on the test drive with them and we finally recreated the issue around 30 minutes into the drive. They said that they had found something wrong with my gas tank/fuel lines etc that was causing the engine to misfire (why i felt the shudders). Took them about a week to fix that up and they were great about it.

issue is, i got the car back yesterday and today i noticed the same problem.

Any suggestions would be great.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblewitt10xi View Post
I'm going to lay out the facts as i know them and could use some advice from people that have been in a similar situation or know what they're talking about.

2010 328i x-drive 6 speed manual 43,xxx miles. CPO warranty and extended maintenance plan. Located in Pennsylvania.

about 38,xxx miles i noticed a weird slipping when applying the gas in higher gears. I automatically assumed the worst and thought it had something to do with my transmission for various reasons but thought it strange because i had always driven a manual transmission with no problems.

took it to the dealer for routine service (and to replace tires) and informed them about the issue. they said no problem we'll take a look.

they returned the car and stated that they couldn't recreate my issue and suggested i accompany them on a test drive to diagnose the problem.

I didn't have time to do it then but explained my problem to someone at work and they suggested i go to another dealer to see if they could diagnose as they were a much larger franchise with a huge service dept.

I took the car there and they came back with the same response. So i went on the test drive with them and we finally recreated the issue around 30 minutes into the drive. They said that they had found something wrong with my gas tank/fuel lines etc that was causing the engine to misfire (why i felt the shudders). Took them about a week to fix that up and they were great about it.

issue is, i got the car back yesterday and today i noticed the same problem.

Any suggestions would be great.
Take your car to VAC. There are 100 possible issues. Hard to tell without additional details.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
gzim335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [2.00]
record rpms next time n show it to them
Appreciate 0