E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Damaged subframe affecting performance?

03-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
danthelion
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Damaged subframe affecting performance?

Hi guys,

I am a little new to the forum, been mainly lurking around but that is it. After graduating college, I celebrated the milestone and bought love of my life, Sloan. She was a Certified Pre-owned 2008 BMW 335i with all the packages I could think of: Sport, Premium, Comfort Access, Navigation, Active Steering... and a saddle brown interior! The way she drove was absolutely beautiful... probably because I was used to driving a 2003 Mustang GT.

But recently, being very, very rushed... I, stupidly, made the mistake of driving over a parking bump. I went over the cursed bump with my two front wheels and landed on the other side in the same manner.... I was devastated. I cancelled all my Friday night and weekend plans because I was hit with a surge of depression.

The result of the damage was the following:
- Cracked Power Steering Pulley
- Frayed Serpentine Belt
- Bent RF Wheel
- Damaged Subframe

The stealership sent me of the following to be replaced:
- Subframe
- Power Steering Pump
- Tensioner Struts
- RF Wheel
- V-Belt
- Along with a few other things like gaskets, hose clamps, hoses, hydraulic fluid...

Instead of using the dealerships $4,000 quote, I went to a shop in Dallas. FQMotorsports and had them replace my tensioner struts, v-belt, RF wheel and had an alignment done. FQMotorsports told me the damage to my subframe was cosmetic and that my power steering pump did not need replacing so I went with those three repairs (tensioner struts, v-belt, RF wheel).

A couple days later, I got my car back. I was excited to get in and drive like a maniac. To my misfortune, I was not blessed with the same car. It was completely different. It felt like I was driving a boat. The steering response took a little longer than usual. The car has a noticeable sway when I quickly change lanes and go for quick turns. Usually, when I put it in Sport mode, it seems like a completely different car, but now it feels the same between both modes with the exception of when the car shifts gears.

I wanted to reach out to you guys to see what the next step should be. I was thinking about seeing how much it would be to replace my subframe as it seems the most logical piece... but if there is something else, please definitely let me know. I did a couple searched and some people said it could be my bushings that are worn out...

I referenced this post but the source of this guys problem seemed to be his tires.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ubframe&page=2

Please help, I want to feel alive again in my car. I used to feel so confident driving but now it's not just not fun anymore. I drove my friends 2007 335i and noticed a considerable difference, so I'm not sure if it's all mental or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

If you have comprehensive, its time to make a claim. It is a "collision", of your fault, but since its gonna cost big money, you have to consider, even with the premium increase.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
danthelion
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
If you have comprehensive, its time to make a claim. It is a "collision", of your fault, but since its gonna cost big money, you have to consider, even with the premium increase.
I claimed it on insurance but they wouldn't cover the replacement of the subframe which was the majority of the cost. I do not mind paying out of pocket for whatever repair is needed to get the car back to normal, but I don't want to make the repair unless I know it is the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

You should insist that they fix the car completely. A bent subframe is UNSAFE. This is unacceptable that they leave the car half broken and in a dangerous condition. Be assured that your premium increase will be complete, unlike the repair you received...
Appreciate 0