M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

02-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
mcgm5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' GMC Savana, 13' BMW M5

Yellow Caution light - rear axle differential lock

Like I stated in the title.

I got a yellow caution light that stays on in the lower left hand corner of the gauge cluster stating :
"rear axle differential lock" -

And on the nav screen when I check the cars status it states :
"rear axle differential lock - stability limited during dynamic driving - drive moderately"

as well, the little traction light staying on (the light that normally flash's when you lose rear traction).

When I drive the car is sure does feel exactly what it states. that the rear diff is locked and both tires are being driven at once in all situations. no matter what setting are used or whether traction/stability control is on or off.

The car has 950 miles on it. And has yet to be driven "very" hard, and no launch's (LC not yet activated) or starting burnouts have been done.

The only thing that I had done different from the previous 949 miles (estimated) is that yesterday was the first day that I drove the car in the rain. As I left a 7-11 parking lot in the rain, the car was fine with no faults, and i got in front of traffic and moderately stepped on the gas to go, and the traction control light flashed and then never went off. The rear slipped slightly and that's when the yellow fault's went on. Never to shut off yet.

I though it might have been cause of the rain. but I started the car the next morning and the fault is still being shown.

any help ? fyi, their were no loud clunks or sensation of anything catastrophically breaking. The car was driven about 10 miles after the light went ON as i was leaving to get on an airplane and was not in the mood to deal with this issue at the moment.

If their is any other information that anyone would like , I will do my best to provide it. I would take photos but right now i'm on the other side of the country and my car is in NY.

btw, this is my first post. hello everyone. I got the car a couple months ago and have been reading the forum. Great source of info, so this is the first place i thought I would put a feeler out on to see if anyone has seen something similar on their car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Does it still come back on when you shut off the car and re-start?
Bish
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
mcgm5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Does it still come back on when you shut off the car and re-start?
Bish
yes
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

the rear diff has an electric motor which activates it...sounds like an issue with it. Id suggest a tow job to rule out damage to the diff.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
mcgm5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
the rear diff has an electric motor which activates it...sounds like an issue with it. Id suggest a tow job to rule out damage to the diff.
thx so much for the post.

I understand that yellow means its driveable and red means get a tow. Also on the info (nav) screen it implied that driving the car was ok, but that dynamic driving would be limited. I'm sure you could understand that I'm scarred to death of a towtruck grabbing anything that is relatively low to the ground.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
mcgm5
United_States
Rep

ok ,

so I came back from out of town after a week. started the car and the light is now gone. And car is back to normal. I tested all the settings and made sure the rearend would break traction without issue.

From what I can tell the issue is gone.

if anyone else goes through the same issue, please do post.

very happy the M5 is back to normal and driving great. Did not want to bring it to the dealer as leaving a car there is nervwracking in itself as their tech's are complete idiots IME. (at my closest dealer).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
mpgrant5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 cs + 340d

I had the same problem had to have a control unit on the back axle replaced
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Had this happen to me tonight, hopefully it goes away in the morning. Not sure exactly what the problem could be.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

Has anyone else had this issue or is it confirmed that this is a rear axel module replacement? Happened to me today, rebooting the car has not fixed it yet...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
cnes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F10 M5, F13 M6, F80 M3

any updates on this for anyone?
so, the ghas control unit on rear axle replacement seems like the fix for mpgrant5..?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
m5q8
Private First Class
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: m5 f10 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar
Had this happen to me tonight, hopefully it goes away in the morning. Not sure exactly what the problem could be.
I just have same problem
Any update
Attached Images

01-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
Mpire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

that happened to my car past weekend when I got stuck in snow.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #13
wheelpro
Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: M5,F10,JB4,DP,CP,METH,SSP

relearn differential by icom os for Bmw ,and clear fault code , and it will disappear
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2010 X5M

Just got this. Can you share the fix from dealer please.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:43 AM   #15
hugogu
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2008 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgm5 View Post
Like I stated in the title.

I got a yellow caution light that stays on in the lower left hand corner of the gauge cluster stating :
"rear axle differential lock" -

And on the nav screen when I check the cars status it states :
"rear axle differential lock - stability limited during dynamic driving - drive moderately"

as well, the little traction light staying on (the light that normally flash's when you lose rear traction).

When I drive the car is sure does feel exactly what it states. that the rear diff is locked and both tires are being driven at once in all situations. no matter what setting are used or whether traction/stability control is on or off.

The car has 950 miles on it. And has yet to be driven "very" hard, and no launch's (LC not yet activated) or starting burnouts have been done.

The only thing that I had done different from the previous 949 miles (estimated) is that yesterday was the first day that I drove the car in the rain. As I left a 7-11 parking lot in the rain, the car was fine with no faults, and i got in front of traffic and moderately stepped on the gas to go, and the traction control light flashed and then never went off. The rear slipped slightly and that's when the yellow fault's went on. Never to shut off yet.

I though it might have been cause of the rain. but I started the car the next morning and the fault is still being shown.

any help ? fyi, their were no loud clunks or sensation of anything catastrophically breaking. The car was driven about 10 miles after the light went ON as i was leaving to get on an airplane and was not in the mood to deal with this issue at the moment.

If their is any other information that anyone would like , I will do my best to provide it. I would take photos but right now i'm on the other side of the country and my car is in NY.

btw, this is my first post. hello everyone. I got the car a couple months ago and have been reading the forum. Great source of info, so this is the first place i thought I would put a feeler out on to see if anyone has seen something similar on their car.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3#post25428753

Posted here, I think we have the same issue. I think it's linked to cold weather (rain would also make it cooler). For me issue started after 7,000 miles (and a 6 week repair of a body panel).

Let me know if you get a fix. I will turn in my car next week to give them 5 days to look over everything. I can reproduce the issue in my car without issue now ...

Enable start/stop
Warm up the car
Put it in sport+, 3/3 gearing (most likely not needed ...)
Stop at a light/whatever and let the start/stop shut down the engine.
Give some throttle ...
- Car goes into Neutral
- Getting warning about rear diff
- Often combined with driver assist disabled (8 different ones)
- Instrument panel / MM screen blanks out (engine still running)
- Losing map (not always)

Stopping the car, closing it, and starting it again reset the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:56 AM   #16
hugogu
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2008 DCT

My error messages, could not post video so put it here :

I started to record with my phone when I stopped at a light, assuming the problem would re-appear.

Notice how the nav screen also went black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #17
finlandm5f10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10&Audi RS6 C7 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5q8 View Post
I just have same problem
Any update
You servomotor in diff is broken. Do not buy second hand servo because it is vin locked and wont work your car. Have to buy new. When you install it this save your car vin first time and works like it should be.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #18
SDMDaily
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Another possible issue you can have, because this is what happened to me: Trunk seal failed and water was getting down in the tire well area in the trunk, to the tune of about 6 inches of water.

The rear diff electronics are back there, as well as the power steering and the battery. All of mine were half submerged.

I first had the power steering go out, and then the rear diff error.

After the water was cleared and the modules replaced it is back to normal (I also had the rear trunk seal replaced.

So check under the rear carpet to see if you have water in the well. If so that is most likely the issue.
Appreciate 0