E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got My E93 335

08-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Forecast: Sunny

Got My E93 335

Ordered in April, it came over on the Liberty and hit the shore August 18. That is a long wait but it was worth it. We have many more months here in NC to enjoy a convertible.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS COMPARED TO MY 2005 S4 (LONG POST)
Design:
The quality of the interior materials is not up to my S4 but the design and ergonomics seem far ahead of the Audi. My S4 has silk nappa leather Recaros compared to the mid-grade cowhide in the 335. However, the seats are just as comfortable as the stock Recaros in my S4. On the exterior my S4 looks like a bar of soap compared to the avant garde design of the 335 with its taught skin. The 335 looks like it is going fast when it is sitting still. I must say that everybody stares and I don't get that in my Audi. It truly is a knockout in person and pictures don't do the concave curves and shapes any justice at all. The beauty is a lot to behold and cannot be easily captured in a photo.

Electronics:
My S4 has headlights that are like aircraft landing lights so I did not expect the 335 to compete and it did not. However, the features such as lights that turn with the wheel and a light on the side of the car that lights the turn were very helpful. One niggle is that there is not much display area on the radio, whereas most cars you can see title and artist along with a lot of other information. I guess if you have nav you are ok. I truly miss the feature on the S4 of bumping the turn signal and getting an automatic 3 flashes. Also it is hard to turn off the signal on the 335 without getting the opposite signal. The start button is very irritating but seems to impress all who behold it. If they had to live with it, it is just stupid.

Paint:
The S4 has better paint. The water acts like it is scared of my Audi and practically jumps off the paint. That could be the wax job so I will wait to fully evaluate it. But I can say that the paint is not glass smooth like my S4. The color of space gray is amazing in any light and I would highly recommend it over all the others. I have owned many of the other hot colors like black and white and the space gray is truly luminous in every light situation. I hear "gorgeous" a lot in regard to the color.

Just an aside, anyone who is worried about the gray poplar, It is gray and black swirl. I don't see even a hint of brown. It is as gray as the carbon fiber interior in my S4. It is like dark gray marble. I can picture it with a gray interior it would be totally amazing.

Mechanics:
The manual tranny is a dream. I have read a lot on here about short shifters and modding the CDV but none of that is needed at all. It shifts smoother than butter bone stock. I have never had the privilege to feel a more perfect shifting feel, clutch pressure, gas pedal or anything even in this league. To try and improve it seems pointless right now. As far as the steering, the S4 steering is far superior. I hate to say that because this is so important but the steering on the 335, while very good, could be much better. I am getting used to it but it does not have the weight, solidity, or road feel of the S4. As far as the engine, it outshines the V8 of the S4 in all but the sound. I could probably start the 335 out in 4th gear the torque is so limitless. My S4 has 340 HP but that does not seem to matter. The E93 335 has a 300 lb top and 100 lb of stiffening braces is the body but that does not seem to matter. The 335 does not care which gear it is in it just pulls and pulls with endless breath. I also know I can get 60 more HP for $600 with a warranty to boot so I am not worried that this car will be much faster than my S4. I will miss the muscle car burble though I like the exotic car sound of the 335 quite a bit. The brakes of the 335 are equal to my S4 and that is saying a lot.

The at the limit handling is more fun with the 335 but safer in the S4. There are some country roads around here with gravel on the curves and I have already had some spooky experiences in the 335. I have never been able to break the S4 loose in my life and I suppose in the snow and heavy rain I will drive my S4.

I still have my S4 in the garage but I can safely say that I will never prefer it again unless I need to haul something or the weather is bad. I've got no trunk anymore.
Attached Images

08-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 ///M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
Great write up - thanks!

You've obviously been enjoying it so far (all the dead flies on the front )
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by agalbraith View Post
Great write up - thanks!

You've obviously been enjoying it so far (all the dead flies on the front )
Yeah. Lots of sunset drives and encounters with many Z4's and Z's around here. It has been a fun few days. I prefer rural winding roads and there are bugs.
      08-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Nice write up and the car looks good! Enjoy.

Two tips for you: The 3 blink turn signal should be able to be programmed by your dealer (its a selectable option in iDrive). To cancel the turn signal simply press the stalk in the same direction as its flashing, no need to go in the opposite direction. I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
I am intrigued tho - I've heard others that don't like the "start button" (including reviewers). What's your issue with it?

BTW - do you have CA?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am intrigued tho - I've heard others that don't like the "start button" (including reviewers). What's your issue with it?

BTW - do you have CA?
I love the looks of the start button and I am a gadget man. However, it is an extra step for me which includes also the e-brake now and pushing in on the key. It is far easier to turn off the key and pull out in one smooth move. I guess I am always in a hurry. I will try to slow down an appreciate how cool it looks. I know everyone is intrigued when they see it.

I dont' have CA because I read about a module which will allow long distance top opening and opening the top with the car moving, etc. I will take that money and put it towards this. Why, do you know any CA tips or tricks?
      08-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
You can also program the 3 flash blink without iDrive by using the menus. Some of the icons aren't completely obvious, but the manual covers it.

I agree on the Space Gray. I've had mine for over 10 months now and still get a kick out of how it looks in various lighting conditions. The paint isn't as "deep" as I've seen on some cars, but with a good wax job it does fine with respect to water beading, etc. The nice thing about Space Gray is that it's like silver and "champagne" like shades in that it doesn't show dirt and road grime much. I don't have to wash this car nearly as often as others I've had.

The leather also benefits from treatments of Lexol, which gives it a richer apperance. It's not going to smooth it out, but it looks nicer than the relatively flat color that the car has when new. There is also an interior detailer spray from Meguir's or Mothers that gives the dash, wood, etc. a nice appearance without the shiny nastiness of something like Armor All. It's funny that BMW doesn't offer a nicer leather (and more of it) option on the 3 series, but perhaps they know something about the market demand that I don't.

You'll enjoy the car I'm sure, and it seems that the motor is stronger at 6500 miles than it was when new. I've driven race cars with close to 600 HP and over 550 ft lbs of torque, yet I'm still impressed with the way the 335i can move. Point-to-point I doubt that there are many cars that would be faster in daily driving situations.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
You'll enjoy the car I'm sure, and it seems that the motor is stronger at 6500 miles than it was when new. I've driven race cars with close to 600 HP and over 550 ft lbs of torque, yet I'm still impressed with the way the 335i can move.
More HP not necessary but always welcome, heh heh. It pulls like a SOB.
      08-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Transformer View Post
I love the looks of the start button and I am a gadget man. However, it is an extra step for me which includes also the e-brake now and pushing in on the key. It is far easier to turn off the key and pull out in one smooth move. I guess I am always in a hurry. I will try to slow down an appreciate how cool it looks. I know everyone is intrigued when they see it.

I dont' have CA because I read about a module which will allow long distance top opening and opening the top with the car moving, etc. I will take that money and put it towards this. Why, do you know any CA tips or tricks?

No, I was just wondering if the PITA was the extra pushing the fob thing in and out of the slot. They should really have made the "push in" action also start the car, and removing the key stop it.

I'd have probably got the aftermarket controller thing too if I had an E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
It's funny that BMW doesn't offer a nicer leather (and more of it) option on the 3 series, but perhaps they know something about the market demand that I don't.

Enjoy!
Interestingly they've increased the leather grade on the 3 series. The newer "Dakota" finish leather is supposedly higher-end than the prior stuff, and is the same as that found on the 5 and 6 (they do have a nappa leather option though).

Given the number of leather vs leatherette posts, I'm not sure that it's an issue to many

Anyway - sorry for the
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Given the number of leather vs leatherette posts, I'm not sure that it's an issue to many
Yeah, I have to say that it is one of those things where if you've had it, it's hard to go back. I know what silk nappa feels like on the wheel and on my seat. I would advise you never to go and sit in an S4 and you will like your leather just fine. It is one of those things where you look at the big picture and not just the seat material and the E93 wins hands down.
      08-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Lovely, more pics!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #12
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Lovely, more pics!
More pics on the way. My zoom is busted but I am working on it.
      08-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
fragadellic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamando View Post
The 3 blink turn signal should be able to be programmed by your dealer (its a selectable option in iDrive). To cancel the turn signal simply press the stalk in the same direction as its flashing, no need to go in the opposite direction. I hope this helps.
Everyone just needs to RTFM. All the answers are there in B&W.
      08-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragadellic View Post
Everyone just needs to RTFM. All the answers are there in B&W.
Thanks. I just got the car and have not had time to RTFM. But I will RTFM this weekend.
      08-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
andrewket
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Transformer View Post

Electronics:
I truly miss the feature on the S4 of bumping the turn signal and getting an automatic 3 flashes. Also it is hard to turn off the signal on the 335 without getting the opposite signal. The start button is very irritating but seems to impress all who behold it. If they had to live with it, it is just stupid.
1. The automatic 3-flash can be turned on via iDrive and the stalk if you don't have idrive. Check the manual.

2. Audi (and others) are also going the way of start/stop buttons. My 2007 S6 had it too. I preferred the location of it on the S6, however: on the rear center console between the driver and the passenger.

I agree with your statements regarding handling. Getting the S6 lose was near impossible with quattro. The 335's DSC system and the car's natural weight distribution do a pretty good drive, but I too have been able to get the back end to come out with DSC on. With DSC off its rather easy.. but then sometimes that's what you want.

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

The start button is only stupid if you don't have CA, with CA, it works like it should on all cars, fob in pocket, foot on brake and push the start button. If you don't have CA it would be better to just have a key. CA should have the fob, otherwise just a key would make more sense. Smart top fixes all the other issues whether you have CA or not for putting the top up and down form far away etc.

As for the signals - all the E9x's I have driven do the 3 flash thing if you just push the signal lever and stay on if you push it a little harder.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #17
Thomas
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e Touring

Garage List
Very nice car and write-up!

Quote:
t's funny that BMW doesn't offer a nicer leather (and more of it) option on the 3 series, but perhaps they know something about the market demand that I don't.
You can choose for nappa leather in the E92/E93, but not in combination with the sport seats.. It's called leather walknappa, available in the colors camel, creambeige and black. Here it's 500 euro's more expensive than the dakota leather. I never saw one though. But I doubt that this is an option in the US..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #18
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Congrats bro... ! And cool signature too ....love the transformation....did u do it on ur own??
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #19
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats... guessing it ended up being an 07 model?
      08-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #20
Shift
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335

Active Steering

I didn't catch if you mentioned that you have active steering or not? I have it on my E93 335i and am still not sure I would get it again. It has a nice feel on smooth surfaces or at low speeds. However, when I hit a bump or get stuck in tire ruts it tends to have a mind of its own.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #21
rit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Nice post.

I didn't read every reply, so pardon me if this is a repost, but regarding the turn signal - you can avoid signalling in the opposite direction by pushing the stalk a second time in the same direction. That seemed weird to me at first, but now it is second nature.

I agree that the push button start is totally pointless if you don't have CA. I am really happy with the CA feature myself, but I can certainly understand why you didn't get it with your convertible car.

One of these days I'm going to have to go test drive some Audi's, just so I can see what I'm missing (or not missing, as the case may be). Thanks for a good write-up.

335i Sedan | Arctic Metallic | Black Leather / Light Poplar | All Options
Read About My Performance Center Delivery (with Pics)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #22
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo Vert

Where can you get an extra 60 hp for $600 and keep warranty?
Appreciate 0