E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Highway driving without 3M bumper protection..

08-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
LeeD31
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3\EB 328xi Tour\G01X3

Highway driving without 3M bumper protection..

Hi all,

I'm decide whether or not I should drive (350kms) out of town without the clear bra on my bumper today...

Does anyone have any advice on the costs of repair on bumper chips?

Thanks!

Karmaloop Rep Code: 'DUBST3P' for 20% off your order @ www.karmaloop.com
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD31 View Post
Hi all,

I'm decide whether or not I should drive (350kms) out of town without the clear bra on my bumper today...

Does anyone have any advice on the costs of repair on bumper chips?

Thanks!
Last weekend I drove 650 miles round trip on a very busy I-35 (Dallas to San Antonio and back) and no problems except a few dead bugs.
A few months back I drove 3 miles to the store and during that trip the rock chipped my windshield and another left a scratch on my front bumper...

So...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
AlB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT gry/blk

yeah they are paving 101 and 280 where I live and if there is road debris of any kind it will pit and chip the front center of the bumper. I just had my e36 m3 painted after 180K and cost was $475 for a really pro job. so weigh the cost of repaint vs clearbra carefully
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Yeah, it there's no way of knowing when a rock will get you. You could always go the blue-nose route.
      08-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

go get some masking tape, wallmart sells some dark blue stuff (darker then the scotch blue painters tape) that matches montego pretty well, use that

i plan on doing that this weekend since i have to drive about something like 800 miles on the highway
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
LeeD31
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3\EB 328xi Tour\G01X3

Thanks a lot guys, I'm going to buy some painters tape and tape up the front and fenders...

Karmaloop Rep Code: 'DUBST3P' for 20% off your order @ www.karmaloop.com
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Clear bra is a waste of money espcially on the e90. Becuase the aerodyamics of the car is made so all the rocks go straight to your windshield. Oh and the windshield is very weak. Weakest i've ever seen in any car..it will chip VERY easly.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz5219 View Post
Painters tape is suually used for track days and AutoXing. But I was told that it will begin to peel off after an extended period of highway driving. Not sure if there's any truth to that though.
I've used painters tape for a 6.5 hour drive without issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
Clear bra is a waste of money espcially on the e90. Becuase the aerodyamics of the car is made so all the rocks go straight to your windshield. Oh and the windshield is very weak. Weakest i've ever seen in any car..it will chip VERY easly.
I don't know if I'd say it's a waste of money on the E90. I have it on my car, and it's definetely helped absorb the impact of stones. Especially on the large flat areas of the bumper below the headlights.
      08-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz5219 View Post
Painters tape is suually used for track days and AutoXing. But I was told that it will begin to peel off after an extended period of highway driving. Not sure if there's any truth to that though.
mine lasted from orlando to tampa in the rain at over 100mph
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
Clear bra is a waste of money espcially on the e90. Becuase the aerodyamics of the car is made so all the rocks go straight to your windshield.

I so hope you were being funny with that statement.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Hilarious.

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but the 3er isn't exactly the most expensive car on the planet. You got the car to drive it right? The car will not stay in "show room" condition past the first couple weeks prolly even days for that matter. My car saw 3 multiple hour, out of state trips in the first 2 months, and probably looks better then your babied 3M garbage anal taping to drive an hour on the highway.

Drive the car on your 350km trip, have a great time, don't waste time or money making your car look like blue 3M tape threw up on it. In the end with most people's luck you'll get a chip in a area not covered anyways. So drive the freaking car and enjoy it, they don't make touch up paint and pens for no reason. If you don't drive on peoples asses you shouldn't have much to worry about anyways.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
"07"BobbyBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Black Sapphire Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Hilarious.

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but the 3er isn't exactly the most expensive car on the planet. You got the car to drive it right? The car will not stay in "show room" condition past the first couple weeks prolly even days for that matter. My car saw 3 multiple hour, out of state trips in the first 2 months, and probably looks better then your babied 3M garbage anal taping to drive an hour on the highway.

Drive the car on your 350km trip, have a great time, don't waste time or money making your car look like blue 3M tape threw up on it. In the end with most people's luck you'll get a chip in a area not covered anyways. So drive the freaking car and enjoy it, they don't make touch up paint and pens for no reason. If you don't drive on peoples asses you shouldn't have much to worry about anyways.
Did you get that BS info from your alien leaders or what:
Clear bra is the way to go. Also where you live is a hugh determining factor of how chipped up you get. I live in norcal in the redwoods right on the ocean. HWY 101 is full of logging trucks and lots of sand blowing around. I do about 2-3k a month, in 2 years time the front end of my cars and the hood and rockers look like they have been bead blasted. My 7 series has the whole front cleared and it looks perfect. But yes I have replaced the front windsheild twice, luckily I have 50.00 deductable on glass. My new 3 that is on the way will get the clear bra treatment to the whole front end ,complete hood,quarters, mirrors & rockers. When you get ready to sell you will recoup what ever you paid for the clear bra plus more. Thats just my.02
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I'll bet your asking yourself, did that truck fling 6 rocks or only 5? To tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself. The question is - do you feel lucky?

Well, do you punk?

You just never know. My first 300 mile road trip gave me a chip on the hood and I haven't had any since. That was before the CB install of course.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "07"BobbyBimmer View Post
Did you get that BS info from your alien leaders or what:
Clear bra is the way to go. Also where you live is a hugh determining factor of how chipped up you get. I live in norcal in the redwoods right on the ocean. HWY 101 is full of logging trucks and lots of sand blowing around. I do about 2-3k a month, in 2 years time the front end of my cars and the hood and rockers look like they have been bead blasted. My 7 series has the whole front cleared and it looks perfect. But yes I have replaced the front windsheild twice, luckily I have 50.00 deductable on glass. My new 3 that is on the way will get the clear bra treatment to the whole front end ,complete hood,quarters, mirrors & rockers. When you get ready to sell you will recoup what ever you paid for the clear bra plus more. Thats just my.02
No, the alien leader only gives me info on more important issues.

I drive a lot of miles as well, more then you actually and never had problems with an abnormal amount of rock chips and wearing on the front end of the car. I only have 1 chip on my BMW that looks more like a careless techs handywork. My daily has zero chips and gets the piss driven out of it.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0