M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

01-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Do our cars (with B&O, in particular) play "DVD-Audio?"

Owner's manual lists "DVD audio" (Note: little "A" and no dash) as a format it can play, which seems a bit redundant if all they mean is that when you play a DVD movie, the sound works.

I bought a few "DVD-A" / "DVD-Audio" discs that apparently have TWO distinct copies of the albums: (i) a DVD (video) encoded version with standard PCM/DTS/Dolby audio track and (ii) a DVD-Audio version which is a high-resolution AUDIO-ONLY format.

When I insert these discs, the car seems to only "see" the DVD (video) version.

Anyone have a clue if we can play DVD-Audio (high res encoding)? How?

More broadly, I am trying to get some high quality reference material for the B&O. If DVD-Audio doesn't work, what is the best source material that WILL play? DTS or Dolby audio track from a DVD? Normal CD? A better format that I can put on a USB stick? MOG?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
a90
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E88 125, E70 X5, R1150

As a fan of SACD disc's, I understand your question. I doubt If our cars are equipped with DVD-audio (or SACD) compatible audio systems. These standaards of hires audio are geting more and more abandoned due to decresing sales and the fact that most people are unknown to these systems or don't want to pay for the extra licences needed to manufacture the device.

The next best will be either normal red book cd's, hires audio streamed from a portable device connected to the audio-jack or high bits mp3. Also DAB provides high quality audio and a DTS DVD might be an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep

a90: Thanks very much. The DTS track on the Beatles "Love" soundtrack sounds great. It is a double disc that also has a well-mastered CD. Apart from 5-channel encoding, I can't really tell is the audio quality is "better" on the DTS version, but both discs sound great in the car and the 5.1 mix is a nice novelty for demo purposes.

I think the DVD-Audio version is basically an uncompressed and high resolution version of the DTS mix-- but I can't figure out how to play it in the car.

Last edited by cnicholson; 01-25-2013 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Warehouser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X5M TBlue2

I just tried my copy of Dishwalla's Opaline in a DVD-A format and it works fine. You must load it into the changer in the glove box. Frankly, my ipod with nothing but apple lossless files on it sounds better for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouser View Post
I just tried my copy of Dishwalla's Opaline in a DVD-A format and it works fine.
Right. I think all DVD-A discs how two "sessions" on the physical disc: a DVD Video section with Dolby Digital and/or DTS 5.1 encoding and an audio-only DVD-Audio section.

When you play the disc, does it look like it is playing a DVD? While playing, if you hit the "option" button and scroll to audio format, what options appear? On my DVD-A discs I only see PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS--- they same stuff you see/hear when playing a DVD-A disc on an old DVD player that does not support "DVD-Audio."

I ordered a copy of Opaline in DVD-A, so will check myself.

The Eagles Hello Freezes Over DTS encoded DVD some REALLY good. Need to be sure to select the DTS track otherwise you just get PCM Stereo (uncompressed CD format basically).
Appreciate 0