F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Varying revs as a break-in approach
Studio RSR

12-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Varying revs as a break-in approach

I'm still under 200 miles and understand that a popular approach to breaking-in an engine is to vary the revs for the first 1000 miles.

How exactly is this done?

I ride around the hood for a few miles and jump on the highway for 30-40. While on the highway I vary my speed from 60 - 80, jumping from 60 to 80 quickly a number of times, which jumps the revs from about 1100 to 2900 or so. Then I got off the highway and ride side roads and lights for another 5 miles.

That's good?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

You can also use the sport mode or manual mode of the transmission to hit different engine speeds.
      12-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
That's good?
Yes, but seriously, you don't have to be so gentle with the engine. It's mighty tough and a proven performer. Perhaps a little easy as you've done for the tires, less so for the brakes to bed, but vary engine revs. You really won't do any harm. No need to hit the rev limiter each drive (although some people will disagree), but go from Comfort to Sport to manual as you feel appropriate.

BMW's owner's manual has running in instructions, which are, by today's standards for high performance engines, quite conservative, a fallback to the more delicate engines of yesteryear. BMW today incorporate many high performance components in their engines. Enjoy.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott
I'm still under 200 miles and understand that a popular approach to breaking-in an engine is to vary the revs for the first 1000 miles.

How exactly is this done?

I ride around the hood for a few miles and jump on the highway for 30-40. While on the highway I vary my speed from 60 - 80, jumping from 60 to 80 quickly a number of times, which jumps the revs from about 1100 to 2900 or so. Then I got off the highway and ride side roads and lights for another 5 miles.

That's good?
You will know if you did this right...she will be an oil burner if not carried out properly.

Do not let it interfere with your driving. Just shift into random gears at speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

I used mototunes break-in procedure, www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

About an hour after getting my car I was at redline. Never worried about "taking it easy", I just drove it how I wanted too and had fun. After a week I had an exhaust, intake and tune installed and have been having a blast!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Enge
Rep
Drives: 328i N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic View Post
I used mototunes break-in procedure, www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

About an hour after getting my car I was at redline. Never worried about "taking it easy", I just drove it how I wanted too and had fun. After a week I had an exhaust, intake and tune installed and have been having a blast!
And say good bye to your engine….

Two important things are essential during brake-in:
1. temperature ! ! !
2. slow rise of revolutions (and reached revolutions maximumum)

Start rev engine without proper temp is absolutely wrong. It is necessary to reach normal operating temp as fast as possible, but without hi revolutions. During engine heating-up lower revs are better (needed).
For 28i engine can be also helpful to use ECO mode, because it uses higher internal engine temperature as COMFORT or SPORT modes. Oil temperature gauge is very helpful here.
You can use higher revolutions, but you have to reach them slowly and gradually. You can drive few minutes with D mode on lower rev and then slowly reach 2000 for few seconds and slowly go back (gently release accelerator). And repeat it many times. Afterwards you can go to 2200 and back, 2400 and back,... You have to spread this process for 3000 – 5000km. During the first km you will reach only 2000 and at the end of this process you will attack 5000. It is difficult to say how many km you need for brake-in process for this engine, we can make only raw estimation. I expect that after 7.000 - 10.000km it can be finished (but I think that 5.000km is minimum) and then you can start with more dynamic drive. Also change of oil after this period is very good way how to save your engine.

If you immediately start to attack red zone (especially without proper engine temp) you will not brake-in but break the engine. You will also fill that engine is OK with sufficient dynamic and “free movement”, but at the end your engine will take more oil, less power, and real operating life will be very short.

EDIT:
I have forgotten something important. You should try to minimize short distance driving during brake-in period. Keep ratio between “traveled distance” vs “cold starts” as high as possible. If you start engine then always try to make as many km as it's possible.

Last edited by Enge; 01-12-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
willibn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 4dr Sport Red/Black

Just follow/trust the BMW owners manual (made by those who built the car and know best) and when you pass 1200 no need to worry. Patience is all you need. The fun will come.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Enge
Rep
Drives: 328i N20

Everybody has to make his own decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

My BMW agent recommended to just keep it under about 3000 rpm for the first 1500 miles or so. with the 8 speed auto, I can still go about 100-110 mph on the autobahn and keep it at about 2900 rpm. my warm up period is always on the country roads, so it's naturally slower and easier. I also try to avoid small hops, but sometimes I can't avoid driving around post here...
Appreciate 0