M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
lumberman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

To new owners... please check the tire monitoring system!

I had my tyre punctured today, and get the chace to use the air compressor and sealant package came with the car, it was handy and easy to use.

The system did NOT warn me of low tyre pressure, I only found out when I couldn't steer straight. It was due to the fact that those clever people at the service center did not initialise tyre pressure, so the system doesn't know what pressure to monitor.

To avoid demage to tyre and rims, new owner please check the tyre monitoring system!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberman View Post
I had my tyre punctured today, and get the chace to use the air compressor and sealant package came with the car, it was handy and easy to use.

The system did NOT warn me of low tyre pressure, I only found out when I couldn't steer straight. It was due to the fact that those clever people at the service center did not initialise tyre pressure, so the system doesn't know what pressure to monitor.

To avoid demage to tyre and rims, new owner please check the tyre monitoring system!
I have so far had 2 type punctures, in both cases tire pressure control was initialized by me. BMW service told me that tire pressure system was different between US cars and cars in other countries (US cars having better equipped TPC system, it's even possible to unlock tire pressure display in iDrive on US cars).

First time it did warn me. The puncture was in rear-left tire, from a small nail which was sitting in the tire and slowly leaking air. Tire lost 0.5 pressure in 20 minutes before reaching BMW service.

Second time it did not warn me, and puncture was severe. The front-right tire became flat less than a minute after the puncture.
Appreciate 0