Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Question between RFT's and Non-RFT.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Question between RFT's and Non-RFT.

Hi All,

I've already done plenty of searching around researching about the difference the Pro's and Con's with RFT versus Non-RFT.

And I know this question has been asked many times, however, general feedback has just been "do this" without much description of people's thought process and experience.

So here's the breakdown that I'm summarizing:
1. Price: Non-RFT > RFT
2. Ride quality: Non-RFT > 3rd Gen RFT > OEM RFT
3. Handling: Non-RFT > 3rd Gen RFT == OEM RFT
4. Convenience: RFT > Non-RFT (given no spare tire space in the trunk)
5. Longevity (tread depth): Non-RFT == 3rd Gen RFT > OEM RFT

Currently, I have the Michelin PS2 ZP RFT and I think the ride is too harsh. So I've been seriously considering switching to non-RFT's (Michelin PSS), however, the inconvenience due to the lack of the spare tire has prevented me in taking this route thus far. Especially since I've already experienced 2 flats within this past year and it was reassuring to know that the RFT's enabled me to drive directly to a tire shop and get replacements for free (covered under tire insurance).

I have been thinking about getting the 3rd Gen RFT's for a while, but have not exactly made up my mind.
In terms of my priorities:
1. Ride Comfort
2. Handling
3. Convenience
4. Price

Can anyone that have tried the 3rd Gen RFT's and Non-RFT's give me some feedback on their experience?

It would be really helpful.

Thanks,
John
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
jyeah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Feedback is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0