E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Alpine white e90 paint question

08-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
YULY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Alpine white e90 paint question

I recently had my drivers door repainted at the local BMW shop (had a huge scratch) and now it looks like the color of the door is slighly darker white than the rest of the panels.

I didnt notice for the first couple of weeks but not you can clearly tell the difference. I took it back to the shop and the rep told me that is normal in the first few months for the color to be different. The rep told me give it time and it should be back to normal. He also told me to wax the car, and it will speed up the process....

Has anyone had this problem with alpine white?

I had an blue rsx couple of years ago and when they painted the front drivers fenders they also repainted the drivers door, I told the BMW rep why they didnt paint the other panels and he told me because alpine white is a simple color to paint

please help
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
Franck335ci
Twin Turbo Enthusiast
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

Hello,

I had to repaint all the front of my SaphirBlack E92 335i (hood and both side panels). I did not have to paint the bumper. The reason was I put some product to take off the "bugs" of the front of the car after a 5 hours drive on the highway. The engine was hot and there was a lot of sun... (I used a Flowey product dedicated to that application!!!).

The varnish of the car just "melted" !!!

I had to ask BMW to make a body paint of the three elements on a brand new car (1 000 miles only).

Anyway, they painted the elements and when I came back to take my car, the guy told me "you will not like". I started to worried alot but I did not see any problem. It was just perfect. We looked together and he showed me a very little difference between the factory color and the new one. Something very difficult to see. Because the guy is a professional, he did not like the result and told it to me.

But there was nothing to do !! As a BMW dealer, he used the proper color.

He called the factory and they explained that the difference comes form the varnish. The varnish on E90 and E92 is a particular one. It alows any micro-scratch to disapear alone (because of the thermic job, the varnish will be tense or not and any scratch will be "cancelled").

That varnish is only used at the factory and worldwide dealers have not the opportunity to use it. It means we can se very small differences if we have to paint some elements on our cars.

So far, there is nothing to do.

Sorry for my english. i tried to be as clear and sharp as possible.

Last edited by Franck335ci; 08-12-2007 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0