F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Weird front PDC problem
GetBMWParts

10-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
rolandleth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Weird front PDC problem

Hello guys,

I know this might not be the right section for this thread, but I really had no idea where to post it. Did it here, because the question I will ask is somewhat related to coding.

So, my problem is, when I put it in reverse, sometimes the 2 sensors in the front-middle get stuck at max, as if an obstacle is right next to me, but obviously nothing is there. Sometimes all 4 get stuck (but very rarely), sometimes just the left-middle or the right-middle. Sometimes it goes back to normal in the same reverse maneuver, sometimes it stays like that till I turn it off (and even after turning it back on, so a simple on-off doesn't do the trick). And rarely it works just fine. The rear works flawlessly.

Now, I took it in for warranty, they diagnosed it and the left-middle threw an error code (the right one unluckily for me worked fine for them), so they replaced it. Problem is, I still have the same problem and the bigger problem is this doesn't happen constantly, so there is a chance when I will take it back for warranty the sensors will work properly and they won't throw any codes. They told me "the left-middle threw a code and is measuring max levels all the time, we will replace it" -> "Well, the other one does the same, but not all the time" -> "Well, we can't replace it unless we can see it when we diagnose the car, or if there is a fault code thrown" -> "D'oh ... GENIUS".

Anyone experienced this? Anyone has any ideas of what I could do except take it in for warranty, get a service guy out and just put it in reverse->drive->reverse until it breaks in front of him for proof? Is there any coding I could do to maybe lower their sensitivity? Or maybe a recalibration/reset of some sort? Something I could change myself, or tell them to try/do?

Thanks in advance,
Roland.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
rolandleth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Could an admin delete this, please? The sensor that got changed was indeed causing all of this and apparently the car just took 1-2 days to adjust to the change. I get no errors anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
lecompte
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan, 2012 335i Cou

Hmm, I think you might have just helped me solve something. Not every time but quite often I place the car in reverse and it screams the solid warning tone that I have an object inches or possibly touching my front bumper (yet there is nothing near it).. Big red bar across the entire length of the front sensor on the display. The warning seems to last for 1 or 2 seconds then disappears yet sometimes as I continue to reverse it will once again scream out the same warning as if I'm all but touching some object directly in front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
OCcaraholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

This is my first post and just picked up my 328i Sport 10 days ago. I am having this same exact problem. I put my car into reverse and I get the constant tone and red bar that something is right in front of me, but there is nothing. The display is showing the right center sensor in full red. I have cleaned the sensor a few times and even used a clay bar thinking there was some contaminants on it, but it still happens. There have been a few times that it works perfectly normal, but for the most part, I get the constant tone.

I'll give it a few more weeks, then I'll have to bring it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Coyote3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i MSport

I have had the front sensor problem since about a week after we got it. My local dealer said there was a PDC software fix coming sometime this month......and when I went in for something this week they said the software update was ready. I have't done it yet because I didn't have time to wait for it.

But there is a fix for it!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I had the same problem but I noticed it only happens on slop not normal angels only when im going out of my garage and mostly in reverse !! weird
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

mine totally went offline.i mean all grey and says there is a fault..on and off ,happened for 2 days and now its fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjy2000 View Post
mine totally went offline.i mean all grey and says there is a fault..on and off ,happened for 2 days and now its fine.
car should record the faulted sensor(s). Dealer can get the fault as long as it continues to fault or you take car in for diagnosis soon so they can get the original fault you reported. Maybe (hopefully) your car just needs a software update.
      04-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
car should record the faulted sensor(s). Dealer can get the fault as long as it continues to fault or you take car in for diagnosis soon so they can get the original fault you reported. Maybe (hopefully) your car just needs a software update.
took it to Dealer ,yap ,you're right.1 faulty sensor at the rear.When fault comes out my bluetooth drops as well.But all is good now,they updated the software as well and i thought the graphics are better,or i could just be me.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
tedmannn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Question!

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2013 328i and am having the same PDC troubles.. but because it is intermittent, would I be able to bring it to the dealer?

I haven't been able to film the PDC malfunction on video to show the service consultant, but I feel as though that might help present my case. Did anyone else have trouble telling the dealership? Please help!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
giddyup69
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335xi

my car had the same problems.. straight from pickup. they kept telling me everything was normal. but as u can see from my post and video it was not normal:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858439

they finally took apart the front bumper and cleaned all the sensors properly. they said there was some sort of waxy or greasy build up around the sensors. after they cleaned the sensors out properly and re-assembled the whole thing the problem went away. i'm not sure if the build-up was from delivery with them waxing the car or some sort of left-over manufacturing wax/grease from the factory