E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Removing really resilient overspray from wheel barrels?

10-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Removing really resilient overspray from wheel barrels?

Hi all,

got a set of used Type 157 wheels for my winter setup. I'm cleaning these up in prep for getting the tires mounted. They all have really heavy overspray on the back like someone was doing suspension detailing or something with the wheels on. I got two cleaned up OK and the third is just not coming clean. I've used dish soap, gasoline, Mercedes-Benz metal dust remover (that three step process has resulted in perfectly clean wheels so far) but after doing that and even trying to wipe it off with lacquer thinner to the point where I can feel the wheel paint starting to get soft so I stopped. Still looks kind of bad!

Anyone have any other ideas to get these clean, or should I just accept the fact that these are winter wheels, throw a couple coats of wax on them, and call them done?
Appreciate 0