E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Central/South America > How are Brazillian N54s holding up to the 20% ethanol fuel

10-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
How are Brazillian N54s holding up to the 20% ethanol fuel

People in the US are interested in adding even more ethanol to gas to make, perhaps E20, 20% ethanol and 80% gasoline. Apparently Brazil has been using this gas for many years. I am curious if there are any N54 owners in Brazil who can comment on their experience. Did you have any mechanical problems with your cars because of the higher ethanol amount? Are cars in Brazil modified in some way to handle the 20% ethanol fuel? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
No problems?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHR View Post
No problems?
Bump
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Resiak
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i

Hello JHR,

I'm from Brazil, Sao Paulo. I have an e90 325i 2008 with 45.000km on odometer and never had a problem with the car, I have on my car the BMS power box and an Injen Intake, the car response is good.. I would get the 0-60 time for you but my car is armoured/bulletproof (i don't know how to say in english) so it adds about 300kg, so the time would not be good.. but if you want I can check it for you.. I can get another info if you want, I have the OBD cable so i can check some more stuffs..

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
Hello JHR,

I'm from Brazil, Sao Paulo. I have an e90 325i 2008 with 45.000km on odometer and never had a problem with the car, I have on my car the BMS power box and an Injen Intake, the car response is good.. I would get the 0-60 time for you but my car is armoured/bulletproof (i don't know how to say in english) so it adds about 300kg, so the time would not be good.. but if you want I can check it for you.. I can get another info if you want, I have the OBD cable so i can check some more stuffs..

Hi Resiak,
Thanks for your reply. I think the extra 300 KG will really slow you down. I'm actually more interested in long-term durability of the engine when using a lot of ethanol. Have you heard about any common problems in BMW engines that may be caused by Brazilian fuel?

JHR
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Maza454
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Motorsport

Hello JHR, i am from Brazil and i have a 2010 335i sport. Last week i have to change the high pressure fuel pump.... and it is common here problems with the injectors.
My car is stock and have 26 mkm.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maza454 View Post
Hello JHR, i am from Brazil and i have a 2010 335i sport. Last week i have to change the high pressure fuel pump.... and it is common here problems with the injectors.
My car is stock and have 26 mkm.
Hello Maza454,

Thank you for your comments. Do you know if anyone attempted to study these problems scientifically? For example, has BMW Brazil ascertained using technical evidence what is causing the injector problems? I have not heard of injector problems being common here in the US. Certainly it could be the extra ethanol. But there are other differences, too, such as weather (it's hotter in Brazil, on average), or possibly other contaminants in the fuel that can get by the fuel filter and cause problems in the injectors...has anybody determine if there are any sugar molecules in the ethanol that is blended in with the gas?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
reolonaapp
Rep
Drives: E92 - 325ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman View Post
Hello Maza454,

Thank you for your comments. Do you know if anyone attempted to study these problems scientifically? For example, has BMW Brazil ascertained using technical evidence what is causing the injector problems? I have not heard of injector problems being common here in the US. Certainly it could be the extra ethanol. But there are other differences, too, such as weather (it's hotter in Brazil, on average), or possibly other contaminants in the fuel that can get by the fuel filter and cause problems in the injectors...has anybody determine if there are any sugar molecules in the ethanol that is blended in with the gas?
The HFPF is a common problem wide world.. Doesnt matter if it uses ethanol or not..

Here in BR, at least the cars that officially came via BMW were tropicalized.
It means, they had some changes on engine, suspension, etc to adapt the car to our conditions.

In theory, the E20 wouldnt be a problem since we have cars with 100, 150k km on the clock with no major issue..

The only problem Im aware of about BMW engines, is about N43.
Due to higher temperatures we have down here and dense traffic, some cars start smoking around 50k km.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reolonaapp View Post
The HFPF is a common problem wide world.. Doesnt matter if it uses ethanol or not..

It means, they had some changes on engine, suspension, etc to adapt the car to our conditions.

In theory, the E20 wouldnt be a problem since we have cars with 100, 150k km on the clock with no major issue..

Due to higher temperatures we have down here and dense traffic, some cars start smoking around 50k km.
Thanks for your comments. It's good to hear you have high-kilometer cars with no major issues.
MHD Self-Tuned Scaled FlexFuel Map | M-Boost | N20 Tmap | Helix IC | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | BMS DCI | BMS Thermostat Delete | CP-E Charge Pipe | Tial-Q BOV | Apex Arc-8 Hyper Silver | Michelin PSS | Cool Carbon Brake Pads R/T | SS Brakelines | ECS 2-Piece Rotors F/R | xHP Stage 3 | xDelete Sport | KW-V1 Coilovers | Turner Strut Brace | Lux Angel Eyes | CF Kidneys | Scoops
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
mou11002
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reolonaapp View Post

Yeah if you buy it through BMW itself the cars are "tropicalized" to deal with the heat, humidity and specially POT HOLES. My mom had a 3 series in Fortaleza and she would always fill up the tank with some sort of gas that has less ethanol. I think it was sold at BR. We sold our cars after she was almost kidnapped and now she is driving a bulletproof Corolla. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
Cris335i
Registered
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMw 335i //M Stock

Hi, I'm from brazil and i haven't any problem until now. 335i 2008 63k.
      05-15-2014, 01:05 AM   #12
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris335i View Post
Hi, I'm from brazil and i haven't any problem until now. 335i 2008 63k.
What kind of problems? Are they fuel-related?
MHD Self-Tuned Scaled FlexFuel Map | M-Boost | N20 Tmap | Helix IC | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | BMS DCI | BMS Thermostat Delete | CP-E Charge Pipe | Tial-Q BOV | Apex Arc-8 Hyper Silver | Michelin PSS | Cool Carbon Brake Pads R/T | SS Brakelines | ECS 2-Piece Rotors F/R | xHP Stage 3 | xDelete Sport | KW-V1 Coilovers | Turner Strut Brace | Lux Angel Eyes | CF Kidneys | Scoops
Appreciate 0