BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 equipment

09-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
eminate
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport

F20 equipment

Hello everyone. I'm new on the forums.
I am going to order a F20 soon.
I have driven many demo cars this summer to get a better understanding of what equpment to buy.

Here are my comments:
The adaptive m sport suspension.
I think it is a nice option, but i didn't care for it because the car has more body roll in sport mode than the fixed m sport suspension. That is because the anti roll bars are stiffer on the fixed version. Also I don't want to have the car that soft when I drive it in Eco pro mode.

The speakers.
I think the HiFi option is good, but not as crisp and refined as the HK. I think the HK is worth the upgrade.

Navi or not.
I think the satnav is a great upgrade. It gives you a better screen, hard drive, better value on resell time, nice features and of course the maps.
You get the Blackpanel with the satnav option. If you don't want the satnav, you should go for the blackpanel as a standalone option.

Xenon.
A no brainer. Go for it.

Sunroof.
Only if you like the extra light. In Norway you don't get to use it so often. Or may not need to because of the air conditioning.

M-sport package.
Of course!

Extended Bluetooth.
Yes! You need it to get Bluetooth audio streaming. You don't need to put your phone in the armrest. I have tested this with spotify and it works perfectly(almost). When you stop the car spotify pauses automatically. It resumes the next time you fire up the engine. Nice! You cannot browse for music via iDrive. You can only select next og previous track.

Reverse camera.
Haven't tested it on the F20. May not be the first thing you need on a small car. Be warned. The camera is very visible in the rear bumper.
Park sensors is nice to have. If you don't get PDC in the front, you cannot toggle PDC off/on manually with the button you get with full PDC.

8-speed auto transmission.
A personal choice. Both the manual and automatic tranny are great.

DAB+.
Get it if you care for the extra sound quality. I think this should be standard.

Extended storage.
This will give you an extra 12V outlet, some luggage nets, rear door sidebins and most importantly the storage compartment under the headlight switch. This is OK explained in the brochures.

Greetings from Norway

2013 BMW F20 -
B45-337-ZVA-ZVM-2NH-302-3AG-420-430-465-493-522-563-575-609-615-654-674-6NF-6UH-6VA-6WA-8TH

Last edited by eminate; 10-01-2012 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

On the twisty roads here in Norway, the adaptive headlights are also a great feature. The headlights are aimed into the corners.

I did not select satnav on our car, and I don't really miss it. It will be obsolete a long time before the rest of the car. I also didn't select the extended bluetooth. It only works with a limited number of phones, and I think it will also be obsolete rather soon.

We usually either play radio (go for DAB), USB memory or Spotify through a minijack cable. The mobile phone can stay in the center console, as you are not supposed to touch it while driving anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

My essential options are:

- M or regular sport package (seats, steering wheel, suspension)

- Extended storage package, I really hate things bouncing around in the car and it's not that expensive (in BMW-terms). Also gives you 2 extra 12V outlets.

- Auto-dim rearview mirror, really miss it when driving a car without one.

- Rear visibility is awful, so fold-down rear seat headrests are a no-brainer, and I also think rear PDC is money well spent. I don't like rear view cameras, but they might work for some.

- Without the relatively cheap 6WA "black panel" option the gauge cluster looks really cheap.

- The DRL you get with the Xenons really change the look of the car

- Auto climate control, it's 2012.

- Cruise control, it's 2012

The rest I could do without.... kinda makes me wonder why I ordered all the other stuff

Last edited by rickk; 09-30-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
FunkDocta52
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Lancer VRX

I am thinking of buying a 125i m-sport, so it would be good to hear some feedback about the options.

For me car audio is very important, so the HK audio is the first option I looked at adding (after the M-Sport pack). Also the comfort access option is a must, as I hate having to take keys out of my pocket (especially when I am wearing jeans), and my current car which has this feature has saved me a few times when I've accidently put my keys in the boot and shut it.

Other options I would want are xenons and extended bluetooth/USB. Front parking sensors and digital radio are on my maybe list, although I could play digital radio from my phone instead.

With Sat Nav, I'd rather use my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) which has built in GPS with voice command. Also you don't have to keep paying extra everytime you want updated maps.

Never really saw the point of a sunroof, so to me it is a waste of money. I don't mind the panoramic versions, but I wouldn't pay extra to get one.

Also, Australian delivered M-Sport packs come with leather as standard, but I love the look of the Coral Red leather.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
I am waiting for my 120d M sport to arrive in a month and went for the following.

Black panel display, as said above it adds extra class to the dash. HK, I love good sound so this was a must have. With the USB interface that is standard now I didn't feel the need for Bluetooth audio as the phone will be in the arm rest, charging and using I drive to play music also if get phone call Bluetooth will mean never have to touch the phone. Adaptive M suspension, I got this as 70% of my local roads are rubbish so comfort is important to me but having the option to stiffin things up too is just perfect! Xenons, no brainer, PDC & cruise, no brainer, 8speed sports auto, I love automatic and couldn't go back to manual esp considering how superb they are these days + the lower emissions auto gives you puts my car in a lower tax bracket so peanuts to pay each year. Extended storage, I when for this as I wanted the door handle lights and LED reading lights all round, again, adds more class to the cabin. My perfect spec, well happy, can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminate View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new on the forums.
I am going to order a F20 soon.
I have driven many demo cars this summer to get a better understanding of what equpment to buy.

Here are my comments:
The adaptive m sport suspension.
I think it is a nice option, but i didn't care for it because the car has more body roll in sport mode than the fixed m sport suspension. That is because the anti roll bars are stiffer on the fixed version. Also I don't want to have the car that soft when I drive it in Eco pro mode.

M Sport suspension is good enough

The speakers.
I think the HiFi option is good, but not as crisp and refined as the HK. I think the HK is worth the upgrade.

YES HK is a must if you enjoy your music Add DAB

Navi or not.
I think the satnav is a great upgrade. It gives you a better screen, hard drive, better value on resell time, nice features and of course the maps.

I agree, the added extras that come with it are all good things to have

Xenon.
A no brainer. Go for it.
Agree totally

Sunroof.
Only if you like the extra light. In Norway you don't get to use it so often. Or may not need to because of the air conditioning.

Nice to have, but not nescessary

M-sport package.
Of course!

Absolutely, it is what makes the F20 look hot

Extended Bluetooth.
Yes! You need it to get Bluetooth audio streaming. Need I say more?

Agree

Reverse camera.
Haven't tested it on the F20. May not be the first thing you need on a small car. Be warned. The camera is very visible in the rear bumper.
No need, the rear park sensor with the big display works well

More to come...

Greetings from Norway
I am collecting my Estoril Blue 125i M Sport with loads of goodies tomorrow, I will post a new thead with the pics and comments. Hope this will help you decide
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
eminate
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Does anyone have something to say about the variable sport steering?

2013 BMW F20 -
B45-337-ZVA-ZVM-2NH-302-3AG-420-430-465-493-522-563-575-609-615-654-674-6NF-6UH-6VA-6WA-8TH
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The variable sport steering is slower around center, and faster at high steering angles. I prefer a more linear rack. The variable steering also changes the steering feel (amount of servo assist) between driving modes. It feels too light in the soft modes, but nice in Sport.
I selected the basic steering on our F20, and I am very happy with it. The car feels nice to drive even in Eco Pro mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
eminate
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Are the adaptive headlights any good? Do I need to consider them? I don't drive so much without street lighting here in Oslo.

2013 BMW F20 -
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Are the adaptive headlights any good? Do I need to consider them? I don't drive so much without street lighting here in Oslo.

adaptive headlights are good if you do a lot of night driving on winding roads.
I would just use the front fog/driving lights in additon to the xennons
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

In Europe, driving with xenons and fog lights at the same time is not allowed.

For driving mostly in Oslo, adaptive headlights would not make much sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

'In Europe, driving with xenons and fog lights at the same time is not allowed.'

'Not allowed' never stops anyone,
besides, I was referring to 'unlit' winding roads
It would seem unlikely for the Police to be hiding in the bushes
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Does anyone have something to say about the variable sport steering?
I absolutely love the system. At first it felt a bit strange, but after a month or so I got used to it. Now, I think it is a fantastic system...light steering in the city and need to turn it only a bit to park and in twisty roads it is very helpful.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Unfortunately that is exactly what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #15
fuzzer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20
Quote:

adaptive headlights are good if you do a lot of night driving on winding roads.
I would just use the front fog/driving lights in additon to the xennons
Me too , it does make a difference in seeing the road surface and looking for potholes on the back road.

Was going over very high unlit twisting roads on Saturday night with the vis pack and it was like driving in daylight. Xenon a never fail to press me when you need them most.

I would also like to point out about the pro navigation. In the brochure it shows a few things that are only available on pro nav and it doesn't make these clear .

- split screen is only on pro nav and not business nAvigation as it says in the brochure

- sport displays with the torque And power meters are only on pro nav

- Eco pro graphs are only on pro nav.

- 3d junction display and google earth/ google street view are only on pro nav.

- uk cars don't seem to come with the trunk release switch in the passenger footwell at all. Just a blank space.

- the reversing camera is surprisingly good . I would prob specify it again on both cars next time.

- through load system . 40/20/40 split rear seat is required to get an arm rest in the back seat with cup holder. Still to use the seat split , but the arm rest makes the bAck seat more comfortable .

- electric memory seats, goes without too much explanation . Great if you change drivers in the car and makes adjusting the seats so much easier than the levers. IMHO very worthwhile option.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #16
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Fuzzer
- uk cars don't seem to come with the trunk release switch in the passenger footwell at all. Just a blank space.

I have attached a pic of mine It has the button in the side frame above the bonnet release
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #17
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzer View Post
Me too , it does make a difference in seeing the road surface and looking for potholes on the back road.
And it also makes you focus your eyes too close to the car, while you should have been looking far ahead. You also have to drive rather slowly to be able to react to something that comes into the very close range of the fog lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #18
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
'In Europe, driving with xenons and fog lights at the same time is not allowed.'

'Not allowed' never stops anyone,
besides, I was referring to 'unlit' winding roads
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Unfortunately that is exactly what they are doing.
Or maybe people obey the rule of not using low-beam and fog-lights at the same time at night in respect to other drivers?? not because they are afraid of cops in the bushes?
The precision/beam pattern of foglights are not the best resulting in stray-light thrown all over the place, disturbing oncoming traffic. And the benefit of having them on is so minimal there is no point.
If they are turned off as soon as there is oncoming traffic, sure that's fine.

My advice: go for adaptive headlights if you drive alot under conditions where you benefit from it. Don't see foglights as any substitute for adaptive headlights.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #19
fuzzer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20
Fuzzer

I have attached a pic of mine It has the button in the side frame above the bonnet release
Thanks, I did actually notice it in yor pictures before and it's the same position as my e91 had, but alas no button
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #20
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i Cayman gts

Sat nav pro is just too expensive for me, but I cannot find black panel display in the option list neither. Anyone got a pic of how the instrument cluster looks like without it pls. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #21
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzer View Post
Thanks, I did actually notice it in yor pictures before and it's the same position as my e91 had, but alas no button
Have you tried the lock button next to the hazard switch?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #22
fuzzer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Have you tried the lock button next to the hazard switch?
All that does is unlock the doors , the button in the footwell opens the boot.
Appreciate 0