E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track Set up and tire preference

07-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Track Set up and tire preference

Ok... I've decided to go with following as a compromise between comfort (daily driving) and performance for track duty:
Eiback prokit Springs
Koni FSD Dampers
KMAC Stage 2 Front Camber/Caster Plates (adjustable to -3 degrees camber)
TCKR Monoball Rear Mounts
Enkei Racing Series NT03-M Wheels (8.5x18 F and 10x18 R; they're 19 and 20 pounds respectively)

Question for the forum is what is your preference / thoughts on the best r-compounds or extreme performacnce summer tires? I'm debating between the Michelin PSC, BF Goodrich g-Force R1, and Hoosier R6, and Kuhmo Ecsta MX. I 'm really concerned with reducing unsprung weight. All of these tire in an appropriate size will be 25 pounds or less.

Also, I have a set of steel brake lines that I never used on my Z4. Do you think they will fit my 335 coupe. I did a rough measurement and they seem to be about the same length, give a couple of centimeters.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdrmz View Post
Ok... I've decided to go with following as a compromise between comfort (daily driving) and performance for track duty:
Eiback prokit Springs
Koni FSD Dampers
Enkei Racing Series NT03-M Wheels (8.5x18 F and 10x18 R; they're 19 and 20 pounds respectively)

Question for the forum is what is your preference / thoughts on the best r-compounds or extreme performacnce summer tires? I'm debating between the Michelin PSC, BF Goodrich g-Force R1, and Hoosier R6, and Kuhmo Ecsta MX. I 'm really concerned with reducing unsprung weight. All of these tire in an appropriate size will be 25 pounds or less.

Also, I have a set of steel brake lines that I never used on my Z4. Do you think they will fit my 335 coupe. I did a rough measurement and they seem to be about the same length, give a couple of centimeters.
I am trying the Pilot Sport Cups..because there isnt much available in the 235/40/18 size.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

S4to335 when is your next track day? Will you have the PSC on by then? You're a lot more experienced driver than me, so I would really appreciate your opinion/ review of the PSC. The sizes I'm considering are as follow by brand

Michellin PSC
235/40-18 F; 265/35-18 R

BF Goodrich gForce R1
245/40-18F; 265/35-18 R

Hoosier R6
245/40-18F; 255/40-18 R

Kuhmo MX
245/40-18 F; 265/35-18

The Kuhmo are the most affordable and drive to from the track with them, but I like the closer sizing between the front and rear of the Hoosier.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

There are no monoball rear mounts for the E9x chassis. Which TCKR piece are you talking about?

Why staggered set up? Run the 8.5's at all four corners. Have you considered the Nitto NT-01's which are simmilar to the Toyo RA-1's in a 245 40 18?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Please post how those wheels work out. I looked at them, but could only find them in M3 offsets. So, depending on how much you drop your car with the Koni/Eibach, you could have rubbing issues on the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
There are no monoball rear mounts for the E9x chassis. Which TCKR piece are you talking about?

Why staggered set up? Run the 8.5's at all four corners. Have you considered the Nitto NT-01's which are simmilar to the Toyo RA-1's in a 245 40 18?
The mounts were not specific to a chassis. I've used them before and really liked them. I'm assuming they're a universal fit really matched to the type of shock, i.e. 10mm vs 12 mm.

I picked a staggered fitment for a couple of reasons (not all the best reasons admittedly)
1) I like the look of a staggered set up
2) I've been using the stock rims for track days to date and running the same size tire at all four corners. I've noticed that I sometimes experience some oversteer on corner exit. I could probably fix it playing with the tire pressure or it could be my driving style. I'm thinking if I increase the contact patch in the rear I will get more rear grip. Also, this will add some understeer back into the dynamics of the car. I've noticed when I use my street rims/ tires (235/35-19 f and 265/30-19 R) with the larger rear sway I get a really neutral feel in terms of handling. I also figure I can tune the understeer/oversteer a bit and with the adjustable camber plates (all things equal, adding more negative camber to the front will improve turn-in).
3) I really like the look of these rims in a staggered set up
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
Please post how those wheels work out. I looked at them, but could only find them in M3 offsets. So, depending on how much you drop your car with the Koni/Eibach, you could have rubbing issues on the track.
Absolutely. The drops posted by Eibach are for non sport suspension equipped cars. If you take a e90 the drop between a ZSP equipped one and a non-ZSP euipped car is about an inch. I've seen the Eibachs on another sedan with stock struts and it appears it lowers the car about another quarter inch in the front and almost nothing in the rear (as compared to the stock ZSP suspension). My understanding was that the sport suspension relative to the springs and shocks between the sedan and the coupe are the same (atleast according to the parts dept at my loacl BMW dealership and RealOem.com). As such, I'm hedging my bets that with a conservative tire size (aspect ratio) and the rear end shouldn't drop that much I should be fine. I could always roll the fenders if its to tight.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
The mounts were not specific to a chassis. I've used them before and really liked them. I'm assuming they're a universal fit really matched to the type of shock, i.e. 10mm vs 12 mm.
The E9x chassis has a completely different rear mount for the shock tower. It's a simple washer and bushing on each side. There are no upgrades at this point in time, nor do I think we will ever see any exept replacement bushings of a denser material.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
jun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Why was the v710 off your choice? These are the tires I use and I love them. If you can afford new ones after every 400 track miles, they'd be the tires I'd go with.

v710s.

r6s.

RA1.

PSC.

Haven't tried the BFGs, but heard good things.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
S4to335 when is your next track day? Will you have the PSC on by then? You're a lot more experienced driver than me, so I would really appreciate your opinion/ review of the PSC. The sizes I'm considering are as follow by brand

Michellin PSC
235/40-18 F; 265/35-18 R

BF Goodrich gForce R1
245/40-18F; 265/35-18 R

Hoosier R6
245/40-18F; 255/40-18 R

Kuhmo MX
245/40-18 F; 265/35-18

The Kuhmo are the most affordable and drive to from the track with them, but I like the closer sizing between the front and rear of the Hoosier.
I might be going to buttonwillow on Sept 8-9th...and I am scheduled for Sears Point on October 6-7th. I will try an autocross event on August 12th in Marina..

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
Just finished a test fit on the rear (M3 Offset for 18x10) w/ stock suspension and a 255/35 Bridgestone tire. There's no rubbing on either side of the hub or with the fenders (even under hard cornering). They fill the rear out really well, actually maybe a little to much. I think a ET30 would be perfect. In anycase, will do another fit once I have the new suspension installed. I think I may be able to fit a 265 tire on the rear. I tempted to order one and give it a go.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eiback prokit Springs
Koni FSD Dampers

Ok, finally got everything installed. I went with the stage 1 camber kit. The stage 2 was just a little to aggressive for me. Track day at Watkins Glen is scheduled for 3 September. Will post full review after the event.
Appreciate 0