E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Looking for advice on using Sealant followed by Wax

07-28-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
swestland
DVM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Looking for advice on using Sealant followed by Wax

Looking for advice:
I should have my new 335i returned from E.D. any day!
I would like to clean and protect the paint to the tens! To this end I plan to wash and clay bar the car, then use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, followed by Pinnacle Souverän wax.
Has any one used these two products?
How long does the sealant need to dry/ cure before applying the wax?
This is my first use of a Sealant on any car.

Advice is much appricated!
      07-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I've never used either product but have read both to be pretty good. Apply the sealant and as soon as it hazes it can be removed. Some tell you to leave it on longer for a deeper shine/gloss but it isn't necessary, do whatever you want or have time for. Either way you'll have the same results.

After claying the car you should make sure that you don't need to use a mild polish to remove any swirls. If you sealed and realized you want to polish you would have effectively wasted your time sealing and waxing the car since you'll have to do it again after polishing.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Let the sealant cure for 24 hours, the follow up with Souveran after the cure time for optimal results. You do not want to hinder the curing process by applying the wax directly over the sealant without letting it properly cure. You will love the look of Pinnacle Souveran if this is your first time using it. One of the best waxes for the money and used by many high end professional detailers.

Let me know if you have any other questions on Souveran or anything else to maximize your detail.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Let the sealant cure for 24 hours, the follow up with Souveran after the cure time for optimal results. You do not want to hinder the curing process by applying the wax directly over the sealant without letting it properly cure. You will love the look of Pinnacle Souveran if this is your first time using it. One of the best waxes for the money and used by many high end professional detailers.

Let me know if you have any other questions on Souveran or anything else to maximize your detail.

George
You didn't tell me to leave my sealant on for a long time? Or is my Poorboys EX-P not a finiky as the Wolfgang sealant?

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
swestland
DVM
United_States
Rep

Nothing Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post

George
That’s really great information! Thank You.
I think this typical; Wile waiting for the car to be delivered I have nothing better to do than shop for items that I may need for the car. The Zaino leather products have received very good reviews. Just had to go with Z-9 and Z-10! I also purchased Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal. With the products that I plan to use for my initial scheme of car waxing, would Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal fit in, or would you save it for latter? Overkill?

She is at the dealership, and I hope to have her Monday Night.
SLW
      07-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
You didn't tell me to leave my sealant on for a long time? Or is my Poorboys EX-P not a finiky as the Wolfgang sealant?
You aren't literally leaving the sealant on the paint for 24 hours. You apply and remove as normal, every few panels and wipe off, or apply the whole car and wipe off. To get the most out of layering multiple coats of sealant or a wax on top, you let the sealant cure, which means you let it stand on the paint for 24 - 48 hours without layering a second coat of sealant or a coat of wax on top of it during that cure time. This goes for virtually any sealant unless you are using some sort of curing accelerator.

Hope this makes more sense now.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestland View Post
With the products that I plan to use for my initial scheme of car waxing, would Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal fit in, or would you save it for latter? Overkill?

She is at the dealership, and I hope to have her Monday Night.
SLW
Congrats on the new car, I'm sure you'll love it.

IMO Z-8 doesn't really fit with that combination of products if you plan on having Pinnacle Souveran as your last step product (LSP). Look into Pinnacle Crystal Mist or Liquid Spray Souveran as a maintenance product over Souveran for optimal results.

Keep us posted on how you make out, and be sure to post some pics when you are done!

George
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
swestland
DVM
United_States
Rep

Thanks; Will do the post wax pics.
Had to fight with the dealer to let me have the car befor they waxed it!
Thanks,
SLW
      08-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
swestland
DVM
United_States
Rep

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, and Pinnacle Souverän wax are a dream to apply. I have never gotten this quality from other products that I have used.
After the wax job, I gave the car a cold water rinse, dried and rebuffed it. Seamed to set the wax.
Thanks for the advice; Will post a pic this PM.
      08-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I just applied some Natty's Blue over my Zaino last weekend and it looks amazing. I should mention my color is Black Sapphire. George's advice, as always, is spot on. You'd waste the Z8 on P Sovereign IMO however it is truly incredible over just Zaino and I use it after every weekly wash (except for the next month or two). I have a bottle of PB QW+ I'll be using as a detail spray for the Natty's after each wash until the Natty's is gone from my paint.

I think you'll love the look of P Sov over your Wolfgang but I'd personally wait at least 24 hours for the Wolfgang to fully set up.
      08-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
All sealants and waxs need 24h to cure.
      08-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pander5 View Post
I just applied some Natty's Blue over my Zaino last weekend and it looks amazing. I should mention my color is Black Sapphire. George's advice, as always, is spot on. You'd waste the Z8 on P Sovereign IMO however it is truly incredible over just Zaino and I use it after every weekly wash (except for the next month or two). I have a bottle of PB QW+ I'll be using as a detail spray for the Natty's after each wash until the Natty's is gone from my paint.

I think you'll love the look of P Sov over your Wolfgang but I'd personally wait at least 24 hours for the Wolfgang to fully set up.
That is cause poor boys is a carnauba wax, it makes the car shine alot more then polymers.