E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Park Ave BMW charging about $380 for NH Fees??

09-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Park Ave BMW charging about $380 for NH Fees??

So I'm about to pick up a car at Park Ave BMW and on top of the price we've agreed on over the phone and submitting our deposit/down payment, the dealer mentioned the following:

$300 something dollar doc fee (which I know is standard, amount varies depending on the state you're in)

and another $380 something for registering and doing all the paperwork for me so that when i return to New Hampshire, all the registrations and stuff will be in my mailbox...they mentioned something called E-reg??

So, in short, is this legitimate? This is my first time buying a car in NJ and they said it's "law" of some sort. For the beater I just traded in for in Massachusetts, all I did was throw down my asking price + doc fee, and i was out the door with a temp plate from NH that I got the day before when we signed the papers... So I was just thinking of having Park Ave BMW issuing me a temp NJ paper plate and I drive it back and do all the registrations and title work on my own because NH does not allow out of state dealers to prepare title apps

I'm going to be super pissed if they charged me for it and turns out i had to do it all when I return to NH, that means i would pay twice!!

FYSA:
1) NH does not have sales tax
2) We could get raped in registration though, it's based on the base model MSRP of the vehicle
3) Then again...for $380, sounds about right for 2 year old 1 series with MSRP of $31.2
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

Tell them, don't charge you tax and give you a temporary or transfer tag. Tell them you are going to take care of it when you get back to your home state. I did the same but to nc. Hope this helps
      09-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
Tell them, don't charge you tax and give you a temporary or transfer tag. Tell them you are going to take care of it when you get back to your home state. I did the same but to nc. Hope this helps
They didn't charge me tax, but were pretty persistent on the registration part and said it's "law," which i chuckled a bit...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just tell them you are transferring the vehicle to another state. Just need a 20 day temp. Show them this link.
http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Vehicle/TemporaryRegistration.htm
      09-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
zobr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550i

E-reg is correct and those fees sound about right. Dealers don't generally make money on registration & title work. That's why they charge you the doc fee.

If you overpay your reg fees/taxes dealers are required to refund the difference.

Plus, Park Ave is one of the good dealers around this area.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Why not let the dealer take care of the registration n shit n avoid the hassle of going to DMV and doubt they will jeopardize there 32k sale
Over some registration fees lol.
Good luck with the new car.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ception View Post
Why not let the dealer take care of the registration n shit n avoid the hassle of going to DMV and doubt they will jeopardize there 32k sale
Over some registration fees lol.
Good luck with the new car.
He is not registering it to New Jersey, He's registering it to his home state of New Hampshire. For a temporary tag, according to link posted above, it is a 5 dollar fee.
I did the same exact thing when I had residency in North Carolina.
      09-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, if they can do it for me, great. However, I do not want to experience something along the lines of, dealer charging me the fee it would've cost me to do it on my own and then finding out that /title/reg were not complete because its something I had to do on my own.

That means, I would be paying TWICE for the reg/title

NH Law explicitly states that out of state dealers cannot prepare title app. Since this is the case, then they couldn't even do any of this stuff for me in the first place. No title, no plates.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
parkavebmw
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I am a sales manager at Park Ave BMW and wanted to just clarify a few things.

Since NH is a 0% sales tax state we can only estimate the exact motor vehicle charge initially. Once we submit the paperwork to our motor vehicle agency they will then get us the exact amount that NH charged for the plates.

We did explain that we can not and will not ever profit from any motor vehicle charges and that if we over charged initially, we would refund the difference to the customer and if we undercharged, we would need to collect the difference from the customer.

We would prefer to have the customer do his own motor vehicle but since there will be a lien holder on this car, we are obligated to handle the paper work ourselves to make sure the lien holder is listed properly on the title.

We will offer to not collect any monies upfront from the customer for his motor vehicle but will we not release his permanent plates until he pays the bill which we will provide him with.

We want to make sure the process is handled correctly from the beginning so that we do not have any delays with his plates or issues with his lien holder.

Gregg Berkowitz
Park Ave BMW
Appreciate 0