E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Are these good interior ideas? BMW Performance theme

09-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Are these good interior ideas? BMW Performance theme

Currently I have a 335i 2008 sedan with the sport package, burl walnut wood trim.

I already have the BMW performance power kit; and am getting the BMW exhaust.

I figure that to keep with the theme and OEM - I wanted to make the interior match the car's changed performance character. Wood trim just does not do it. Leather is black.

I was thinking:

1.) BMW Performance Alcantara wheel, non electric - the one with the yellow strip - does this work with the steptronic paddles? I sort of prefer this to the M-tech wheel. Ideas?

2.) Performance lever and hand brake. Can get some cheaper, they look really cool and compliment the interior.

3.) The trim - I was thinking of finding BMW Carbon trim or wrapping the interior to be the carbon trim - which is more in line with the BMW performance theme, but I also like the Aluminum, OEM, but not performance per se.

4.) I currently have the M dead pedal and M door sills. I thought about changing the door sills to the BMW Performance illuminated ones - if I can find them for a bit cheaper. The M stuff looks good, but I sort of think that since my car has the sport package, and not M sport package, I may rather tend to go towards the BMW Performance theme instead.

How do those ideas sound? Basically, I am trying to stay in the "BMW Performance" product line theme - giving my 335i a better, sportier look.

This picture is what i have now - if you guys have ideas, let me know!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Performance exterior first then interior
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Rondocap, I had a nearly identical interior - black w/ burl walnut - and did a full OEM modded interior:

Here's what I ended up doing; I've changed the shifter (again) and the seats since these pics were taken but I was very pleased with the end results,

List of things in the above ,
-OEM brushed aluminum trim kit
-BMW Performance alcantara steering wheel, electric V2
-BMW Performance pedals
-BMW Performance e-brake/boot
-OEM E46 'ZHP' shift knob
-BMW Performance alcantara shift boot
-OEM Euro armrest
-OEM rubber floor mats w/ carpeted heel pad

I recommend all of the BMW Performance interior accessories (save for the ludicrously-priced CF trim). Since you are auto the BMW Performance shift knob looks fantastic, I think with the stitching and everything looks lovely.
And yes you would get the yellow-striped steering wheel; the blue striped one is for DCT/M3 paddles so you would have to convert to those (not sure of difficulty). You can even upgrade the paddles to something more aggressive - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706169, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716151.

For trim you could consider the brushed aluminum trim like I have or the glacier aluminum kit; both will look far better than what you have (for 'sportiness'). I'm not a fan of CF wraps or wraps in general , looks cheap.

The euro armrest is a great mod, the 3 series in Europe comes with it standard. It not only looks cool but is quite functional, it is nice to have on longer trips.

Personally I would do the trim first, then the foot pedals, those made the biggest difference to me.
      09-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
rondocap
Captain
Rep

CJ421 - your car is absolutely impressive. That's pretty much how I want to do mine.

How did you like the Alcantara steering wheel vs the M sport one you had previously? So the yellow strip one, I can add my paddles without issue and modification correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Thanks man.

The page on getBMWParts indicates that the Yellow one is for those with Steptronic paddles:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
I suggest getting the alcantara trim with it, the wheel doesn't look complete otherwise.

I can't say I prefer alcantara over leather. I think the leather actually feels better in bare hands, especially the perforated leather on the M wheels. Here's another option, these guys make some cool stuff:
http://www.bmwsteeringwheels.com/

I don't think you can go wrong with the M leather wheels (M3/M sport), or the BMW Performance alcantara wheel, the former is considerably more economical. I got my Performance wheel for the electronic features which I use regularly on the race track, otherwise I'd likely have kept the M sport wheel. The M sport wheel is just great.
      09-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
rondocap
Captain
Rep

CJ, how much does a different wheel actually alter the way the car feels? I know it will still stay tight as my steering is already - but it should not change the actual dynamics of the car correct? It's just basically a different shape in the hands as far as I can see.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
It won't change the steering feel or weight at all, no. It will physically feel different in your hands and is a great upgrade for that reason because you notice it 100% of the time.