F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Start / Stop enable or disable ...?
ARMA SPEED

09-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
tamer123
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i E90

Start / Stop enable or disable ...?

Coming from an E46 and an E60 to an F30 the amount of technology and features in my new 328is has is amazing and a little overwhelming. I love the comfort access. In the E46, I was the one in control lost it a little with E60 but with F30 its a totally new ball game. The amount of things the F30 3 series is doing in the background sometimes feels like it takes away from the BMW driving experience. One of the background features that is most interested and strange is the Automatic Stop Start (BMW Prius). All F30s come standard with Stop Start and part of BMW's "EfficientDynamics" move with all their cars. Stop/start is designed to save fuel while the car would otherwise be idling at traffic lights, back-ups, waiting to pick someone up, etc. The stop start functions differently depending on the transmission choice.

Automatic Transmission
Stop/Start will shut off the engine whenever the car is brought to a stop, so long as the transmission remains in D and the brake pedal is pressed to keep the car from moving. The engine is shut off after approximately one second and the tachometer needle will point to the "ready" position. As soon as the brake is released the engine starts and you continue on as normal. The driver can also select P while the engine is off and release the brake pedal, by then selecting D again the car will automatically start.

Manual Transmission
Stop/Start will shut of the engine whenever the car is brought to a stop, the car is in neutral and the clutch pedal is released. The engine is shut off after approximately one second and the tachometer needle will point to the "ready" position. The car is automatically restarted when the clutch pedal is depressed and you continue on as normal.

Interesting Quirks/Features
The engine can be restarted by the driver in anticipation of driving off by: briefly applying additional pressure to the brake pedal or by releasing the break pedal slightly. Both will cause the engine to start.
If "Automatic Hold" is activated the car will hold itself once the car has come to a stop and the engine has been switched off freeing the driver from needing to hold the brake pedal. Applying the brakes will cause the engine to start automatically.
It is possible to prevent engine shut down once stopped in order to be able to drive off quickly. Within one second of stopping apply additional force to the brake pedal and then release the additional pressure and continue holding the brake pedal with "normal" force. Whatever that means.

Why isn't my Stop/Start working?
There are numerous vehicle parameters that are monitored as a part of the stop/start function to ensure the driving experience is not impacted. As many of the factors are not possible to monitor it may appear that the feature is not working. Reason why the stop/start may not shut down the engine include:
The car is coasting (manual transmission)
Brake vacuum reading is too low (manual transmission)
Insufficient brake pedal pressure is being applied to hold the vehicle stationary (automatic transmission)
Stopping on a hill/downhill with a 12% or greater gradient
If the steering angle is more then 6 degrees
If the steering wheel is still be moved after approximately one second of coming to a stop
The system has not yet be activated by going over a speed of 5mph for automatics, 3mph for manuals since the last engine switch off
If the gas pedal is being pressed (engine must be at idle speed only)
You're coming to a stop from reverse
The driver gets out of the car
If Hill Decent Control (HDC) is activated
If the engine is not up to temperature
If the carbon canister is being purged
if the grade of the fuel is too low for the engine
Transmission adaptation is active (automatic transmission)
The hydraulic pressure accumulator is not yet up to pressure (automatic transmission)
Stop-and-go traffic - system is only activated by driving over 5mph for automatics, 3mph for manuals
Batter charge is low
Outside temperature is colder then 37.4 F / 3 C
Outside temperature above 95 F / 35 C and the air conditioning system is on
Fogging of the windshield is detected by the IHKA system
Climate control system is on but passenger compartment has not yet reached desired temperature
ABS system was used when coming to a stop

Alternatively the car may automatically restart outside the standard restart procedure if:
The driver is moving the steering wheel
The driver presses the gas pedal
The transmission was shifted from D to P and subsequently back to D
The transmission is shifted to N or R
The battery charge runs low
Outside temperature rises above 95 F / 35 C and the air conditioning is on
Fogging of the windshield is detected by the IKHA system
Low evaporator temperature is detected

Disabling Automatic Stop/Start
The stop/start feature can be manually disable by pressing the button above the engine start button. Unfortunately there is no way to default start/stop off so the button must be pressed each every time to disable the system.

Impressions

I'll use the feature to entertain passenger and show off the technology of the F30 not as a gas saver..(If i wanted PRIUS i would have bought one!). The rare cases where I'm at long lights it is nice but my daily commute doesn't have enough lights to make the gas savings worth much.
      09-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Z4
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Disabling Automatic Stop/Start
The stop/start feature can be manually disable by pressing the button above the engine start button. Unfortunately there is no way to default start/stop off so the button must be pressed each every time to disable the system.
FYI. It can be default to last user mode. http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729556

2013 F30 328i Alpine White Sportline / Black Leatherette / Tech / Xenons (Timeline)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

I'm worried about possible engine failures?

I mean, it works for me just fine. But the number of times my car turns off then on, is ridiculous...will this have any future implications?
      09-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
einlanzer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

I remember reading somewhere in the manual that start/stop increases wear and tear on engine components, which is completely reasonable. Since I own this car and am not leasing it, I'm hitting that disable button every time.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by einlanzer View Post
I remember reading somewhere in the manual that start/stop increases wear and tear on engine components, which is completely reasonable. Since I own this car and am not leasing it, I'm hitting that disable button every time.
Can you post that statment in the manual please? I believe the manual say it may cause wear and tear not it will.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
tamer123
United_States
Rep

its a cool feature ..and even cooler when it can remeber your preferance
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
tamer123
United_States
Rep

I wonder if simillar coding can be applied to drive mode? example ; when you put f30 in Comfort driving mode it stays ?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
s2000jan
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E89 - sDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamer123 View Post
Why isn't my Stop/Start working?

If the steering angle is more then 6 degrees
This is an interesting one. When at a red light I don't mind the A.S.S. kicks in, but when I'm in the middle of the intersection to turn left, I'd rather have the engine running .... so, I guess I need to turn in already slightly .... will try this out !
      03-15-2014, 04:40 AM   #9
DeanA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d m-sport

Thanks all, my stop start appeared to have stopped in the last couple of days and whilst I was sure whether it was me or the car, this read has answered my questions.

Having just been out, turned the AC off and stopped at a nearby island for more than a couple of seconds....the engine stopped and then restarted when I pressed the accelarator.

Simple really...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

I always thought ASS gas savings were minimal at best, I mean how much gas are we really burning when waiting behind a red light for 20-30 seconds? The wear and tear it puts on the engine long term is more worrying to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
DTRJ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X4 M40I

All 2014 Model year BMW's are now factory coded to default to the last user mode. It works this way on both my 328 and 435 2014 models
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
mcli
_________
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6mt

Whenever ASS turns on, I realize I forgot to put it into sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Speedchromer
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I

I have been trying to get dealer to do something with switch. I hate it and have had several near misses when leaving my community and exiting on to a busy 4 lane highway. Was at dealer yesterday and asked them again. Nothing done. Can't wait to get rid of car.

Last edited by Speedchromer; 04-02-2014 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchromer View Post
I have been trying to get dealer to do something with switch. I hate I it and have had several near misses when leaving my community and exiting on to a busy 4 lane highway. Was at dealer yesterday and asked them again. Nothing done. Can't wait to get rid of car.
BMW dealer's will do a one time coding of ASS so it saves your last setting. I think this free coding might have been eliminated for 2014 onwards.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchromer
I have been trying to get dealer to do something with switch. I hate I it and have had several near misses when leaving my community and exiting on to a busy 4 lane highway. Was at dealer yesterday and asked them again. Nothing done. Can't wait to get rid of car.
I do not use ASS, but I never had issues when I tested it. How did you have "near misses" just because of ASS? The dealer coded mine before I even took delivery. That being said, you realize that you can turn it off, correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I have too many traumatic memories of my '72 Olds Cutlass stalling in traffic during my high school years for me to ever be comfortable with auto start/stop.

I remember driving the car home from the dealer; when the engine cut out it was like delayed PTSD kicking in "Yaaaa OMG my car is stalled I'm going to miss my Calc test!!!"

Hit the button to disable and haven't touched it since.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #17
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I was told the dealer will do 1 time reprogramming so the Auto stop feature is turned to "off" as the default. If I don't like it and want it turned back to factory settings then it is my own $ to change it back. This is on a 2014 model I will be getting in July so they are still doing it once for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #18
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

In my car (2014 335i), it's set up to remember the last user input. So if I turn it off, it stays off until I turn it back on. Even if I turn the car off and back on later.

I leave it on though, the traffic around here makes it worthwhile to keep it on since I can spend long periods sitting at idle.

It did, however, stall once. Released the brake, engine tried to start back up, decided it'd rather not and I just sat there until I threw the car in neutral and started it back up myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #19
Speedchromer
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I

1. I asked dealer yesterday to do something. No response.
Car was at dealer for 7 hours yesterday. I took it in for oil change and damaged tire. Dealer did 5 recalls and screwed up my day. They didn't fix tire and forgot about the switch. Time for a new dealer.

2. Stall was very similar to one noted above. When it happens in the middle of high speed traffic your brain can't react fast enough to figure out what has to happen next to get restarted. Very scary.

3. The switch is hidden behind the steering wheel. Why should I have to "remember" to set it every time I drive it.

Last edited by Speedchromer; 04-02-2014 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Add
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #20
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

I have several long lights in my commute. It's never failed me in the 6MT.

As for engine wear, I don't think that's an issue. The starter would get the wear, but it's designed for this.
      04-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #21
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli
Whenever ASS turns on, I realize I forgot to put it into sport mode.
Haha.. Truth

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #22
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchromer View Post
2. Stall was very similar to one noted above. When it happens in the middle of high speed traffic your brain can't react fast enough to figure out what has to happen next to get restarted. Very scary.
Did it stall while you were travelling at speed? Surely this is not related to ASS...
Appreciate 0