F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HK Underseat Woofers Pieces of Crap?
proTUNING Freaks

08-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

HK Underseat Woofers Pieces of Crap?

Disclaimer: I'm not a bass head at all. I mostly listen to talk radio, classical, and jazz. I listen to a few popular hip hop or R&B songs on occasion.

Okay. I got my beautiful F30 M-Sport just 7 days ago. I upgraded to the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 system. This morning, I noticed a rattle under the passenger seat. Sure enough, it's the speaker. A few points.

1. As a customer, I should not be the one discovering the limits on these speakers. I have had two BMWs WITHOUT the floor mounted speakers and not one blown speaker. Ever. How loud is too loud? How much bass is too much bass? Shouldn't the system know?

2. For an $800 upcharge, where are the circuit breakers to cut the power if the speakers can't handle it? Isn't there a preset volume limit? I had one in my 2009.

3. I really didn't have the bass to the max. I think 70% is as far as I went. I still haven't turned the volume to the max yet.

4. I have had a pair of Pioneer tower speakers for over 25 years that I JUST got rid of this year. They have been through 80s, 90s, and 00s rap and HIP HOP. They have been through parties, and surround sound movie nights. And they have been moved to at least 20 different locations. Not ONE issue. But, in my 2006 BMW with HK, I had to have the floor mounted speaker replaced in THAT car as well. So, what gives?

Is there too much power going to these floor speakers? Is there a way to cut power to these speakers without cutting the bass? It seems like all of this stuff should have been figured out in the lab. I shouldn't have to figure it out by myself. Logic 7 doesn't seem logical at all when it comes to speaker control and design.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not a bass head at all. I mostly listen to talk radio, classical, and jazz. I listen to a few popular hip hop or R&B songs on occasion.

Okay. I got my beautiful F30 M-Sport just 7 days ago. I upgraded to the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 system. This morning, I noticed a rattle under the passenger seat. Sure enough, it's the speaker. A few points.

1. As a customer, I should not be the one discovering the limits on these speakers. I have had two BMWs WITHOUT the floor mounted speakers and not one blown speaker. Ever. How loud is too loud? How much bass is too much bass? Shouldn't the system know?

2. For an $800 upcharge, where are the circuit breakers to cut the power if the speakers can't handle it? Isn't there a preset volume limit? I had one in my 2009.

3. I really didn't have the bass to the max. I think 70% is as far as I went. I still haven't turned the volume to the max yet.

4. I have had a pair of Pioneer tower speakers for over 25 years that I JUST got rid of this year. They have been through 80s, 90s, and 00s rap and HIP HOP. They have been through parties, and surround sound movie nights. And they have been moved to at least 20 different locations. Not ONE issue. But, in my 2006 BMW with HK, I had to have the floor mounted speaker replaced in THAT car as well. So, what gives?

Is there too much power going to these floor speakers? Is there a way to cut power to these speakers without cutting the bass? It seems like all of this stuff should have been figured out in the lab. I shouldn't have to figure it out by myself. Logic 7 doesn't seem logical at all when it comes to speaker control and design.
Your frustration is very understandable.
But, keep it in perspective.
It could simply be a bad driver that was going to fail on somebody and it just happened to be you.

Yes, it's the second time for you, but on 2 different cars.
For now, just get the driver replaced under warranty.

Yes, most modern car audio systems do have a "limiter" that can stop certain dynamics from causing a potential blow out.
Those are electronic controls and thus can't help stop a faulty driver from failing, and it may be just a faulty driver. It happens, as you know.
Appreciate 0