E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 4AN Stainless Meth Lines = Aluminum Fittings

08-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
4AN Stainless Meth Lines = Aluminum Fittings

So basically every single line I can find comes with aluminum fittings.

Even the stainless steel lines that Devil's Own sells for their meth kits come with aluminum fittings. Should there be a concern with corrosion?

I know type 3 hard anodized aluminum is supposed to be able to stand up to corrosion for a long time, but there's really no way to confirm the type of aluminum being used on the fittings.

Anybody switch over to brass fittings or just use JIC/SAE fittings instead? I was hoping to buy line with pre-installed fittings, but if that doesn't work out I'll end up just buying my own hose and hoping I can correctly install my own fittings.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
So basically every single line I can find comes with aluminum fittings.

Even the stainless steel lines that Devil's Own sells for their meth kits come with aluminum fittings. Should there be a concern with corrosion?

I know type 3 hard anodized aluminum is supposed to be able to stand up to corrosion for a long time, but there's really no way to confirm the type of aluminum being used on the fittings.

Anybody switch over to brass fittings or just use JIC/SAE fittings instead? I was hoping to buy line with pre-installed fittings, but if that doesn't work out I'll end up just buying my own hose and hoping I can correctly install my own fittings.
Brass IS corroded by methanol and there is a company that makes NICKEL plated brass fittings if you want that. I am not sure if they have the sizes that you need but check it out.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...c42/index.html

FYI about brass and methanol:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8762613_eff...nol-brass.html
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
Brass IS corroded by methanol and there is a company that makes NICKEL plated brass fittings if you want that. I am not sure if they have the sizes that you need but check it out.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...c42/index.html

FYI about brass and methanol:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8762613_eff...nol-brass.html

Yeah, I was just too lazy to type out Nickel plated brass, the main point of the post was to find out if anyone has a source for finding the hose I'm looking for pre-assembled.

I am looking to use 1/4" diameter braided hose with a stainless covering, but I wanted the hose to come pre-assemled with the fittings on the ends because I'm not sure if I would install them correctly myself.

None of the lines I've found come with pre-assembled hose end fittings and the ones that do are usually only for bulk order or they are using aluminum hose end fittings.

I just found a couple while typing this though, it will require piecing things together and installing the hose end fittings myself, but I think it's probably the best way to do this.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
Yeah, I was just too lazy to type out Nickel plated brass, the main point of the post was to find out if anyone has a source for finding the hose I'm looking for pre-assembled.

I am looking to use 1/4" diameter braided hose with a stainless covering, but I wanted the hose to come pre-assemled with the fittings on the ends because I'm not sure if I would install them correctly myself.

None of the lines I've found come with pre-assembled hose end fittings and the ones that do are usually only for bulk order or they are using aluminum hose end fittings.

I just found a couple while typing this though, it will require piecing things together and installing the hose end fittings myself, but I think it's probably the best way to do this.
Same site,...preassembled.

Here you go:

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...duct_info.html
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
Same site,...preassembled.

Here you go:

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...duct_info.html

Yeah I emailed them about it a couple months ago. The price to get it into Canada was almost triple that of assembling things myself so it didn't work out.

Their fittings are also anodized aluminum.

I'm going to purchase a leak test kit and just install the hose ends myself, thanks for taking the time to try and help out though.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

how fast do these things actually corrode anyway?

for all we know it could be over a period of 10+ years...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Pepe_pr
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 135i black on black

I changed all my lines of meth to braided, trust me the diffrrence is huge, no more leaks and the pressure is always there no matter what. Its safe and looks insane!

I have the devils own kit