E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > COBB stage 1 ST Sport installed...blew charge piping off...have questions

08-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i M-Sport

Unhappy COBB stage 1 ST Sport installed...blew charge piping off...have questions

Ok, so I installed COBB last night, totally stock e92. Did some WOT runs last night to dme learn, no problems whatsoever.

Drove to work this morning, no problems. On way home on the freeway, punched it from about 40, almost immediately car jerked hard, cut throttle, went into limp. Got home, read codes, looked like it pointed to a possible charge pipe loose/broken problem. (boost pressure solenoid, MAP sensor, limp, etc) popped the hood, look at the rear connection of the pipe to tb, saw what is in the pic below.

It def came off, and if you look carefully at the pic, plastic appears to have broken at the clamp location (about the 10-o'clock position or so)

My question is, obviously it's no bueno to drive a car with no air filter, and this is no different, however the pipe is barely off the tb and i'm in permo-limp, so you guys think i can drive this thing to the dealer (about 30-40 mile trip) without messing anything up and the cp barely on? Attempting to clamp the broken pipe back up seems useless, and i'd rather not tow if i don't have to. Sucking something up there at the tb is my only concern. Am I over-worried?

Opinions? TIA

08-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Yeah this happened to a guy I know as well. If you can't secure it back i wouldn't drive it. Uninstall the COBB and tow to dealer. Just don't say you installed the COBB.

i just bought an ER CP with TIAL BOV. You may want to invest as well. BOV optional of course. A lot of guys have Forge DV.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Pull the clip up then try again. Taking off the intake box helps with space. It requires some force but it does go in.

What I did was completely remove it and cleaned it with gasoline to remove all the oil residue prior to mounting it back.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Buy the ER CP (it's made from metal, will never break no matter how much boost you run), but DO NOT LOSE THAT C-CLAMP. If you lose that clamp on your way to the dealer, the only way to get a new one (because they're not included with ANY of the aftermarket CP options) is buying a complete brand new OEM CP (aka, waste of $$$)

If the car isn't your DD, I'd say leave it in your driveway until that aftermarket CP arrives
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the opinions so far, but car is still under warranty, already uninstalled Cobb, was thinking of limping it to the dealer, take one more stab at the stock setup before upgrading. I just dropped a good chunk in suspension, wheels tires, tune, trim wrap etc almost all at once, and rather not spend another 6 bills at the moment...although I know now is the time...
      08-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Myaddiction
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Is it broke or did the pipe just pop off? I'd try to reinstall it before taking it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0 View Post
Thanks for the opinions so far, but car is still under warranty, already uninstalled Cobb, was thinking of limping it to the dealer, take one more stab at the stock setup before upgrading. I just dropped a good chunk in suspension, wheels tires, tune, trim wrap etc almost all at once, and rather not spend another 6 bills at the moment...although I know now is the time...
Yeah it sucks, but think if this happens again??? Mike@n54Tuning.com just hooked me up with a great deal, check out their sale on ER CP.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myaddiction View Post
Is it broke or did the pipe just pop off? I'd try to reinstall it before taking it to the dealer.
As u can see from the pic, looks like it broke, but I'm not sure if that's what it is supposed to look like. I'm going to attempt reattach first
      08-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Clip looks like its just not in the right groove
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Clips not aligned properly cause there's a chunk missing on the left side (see red circle)

Last edited by benzy89; 11-09-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Clip looks like its just not in the right groove
Look at my pic above. I found this pic online of another e92 with broken cp, mine looks like it broke almost identical to this one below:

08-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
Myaddiction
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Clips not aligned properly cause there's a chunk missing on the left side (see red circle)
Ahh, Couldn't see that on my phone. If you can't get it to re-seat with that part missing you could pull the clip off, fit it as best as possible and wrap it once with duck tape if you simply do not want to tow it. It will not boost in limp mode so it will not pop off.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #13
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Exactly, I thought no one else was seeing the break point I was talking about.
      08-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #14
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Dealer it, get a new one for FREE! Ask them to save that clip for you tho so you have an extra one!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Yea that's toast. You maybe able to get a new one from dealer but you can't be boosting like that. You would need to limp it there or get towed. The N55's break even easier. If it was my car I would try to get it back on there as snug as possible and stay out of boost.

IF you need any help with an aftermarket stronger one I recommend the ER charge pipe. It comes in a variety of options too. You can use your stock OEM DV or upgrade to a forge DV or BOV like Tial, HKS, or Synapse in the process too.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Dealer it, get a new one for FREE! Ask them to save that clip for you tho so you have an extra one!
Nice, good idea. Ill tell them to save me the clip from the broken pipe for future use/backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Yea that's toast. You maybe able to get a new one from dealer but you can't be boosting like that. You would need to limp it there or get towed. The N55's break even easier. If it was my car I would try to get it back on there as snug as possible and stay out of boost.

IF you need any help with an aftermarket stronger one I recommend the ER charge pipe. It comes in a variety of options too. You can use your stock OEM DV or upgrade to a forge DV or BOV like Tial, HKS, or Synapse in the process too.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Prob going to take your advice, try to get it on as best I can, and inch it to the dealer. I'm going to remain in limp mode even if i reattach the broken pipe anyway, so I dont think the car will boost at all under limp.

I will let them look at and replace with new (just in case I killed a diverter also or one of the sensors on the pipe), then start looking for an aftermarket solution afterwards.

...Just surprised stage 1 sport was enough to kill the pipe...
      08-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
Nice, good idea. Ill tell them to save me the clip from the broken pipe for future use/backup.

Prob going to take your advice, try to get it on as best I can, and inch it to the dealer. I'm going to remain in limp mode even if i reattach the broken pipe anyway, so I dont think the car will boost at all under limp.

I will let them look at and replace with new (just in case I killed a diverter also or one of the sensors on the pipe), then start looking for an aftermarket solution afterwards.

...Just surprised stage 1 sport was enough to kill the pipe...
Sorry to hear that bud! Makes me nervous about getting COBB but I still want it. I know this is very rare but I'm in your same boat, its my DD and I don't have time to be taking it to the dealer if something like this happened to me. But you gotta pay to play right? How did you like the way it ran on S1 Sport?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BV335 View Post
Sorry to hear that bud! Makes me nervous about getting COBB but I still want it. I know this is very rare but I'm in your same boat, its my DD and I don't have time to be taking it to the dealer if something like this happened to me. But you gotta pay to play right? How did you like the way it ran on S1 Sport?
My car is my DD too, so to avoid the downtime if any of the parts (DVs or CP) broke, I upgraded to the ER CP + Forge DVs. Now that I've gotten ProTune'd & run an aggressive E85 Map, I'm really glad that I've got those parts in & eliminated the weak points on running increased boost.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV335 View Post
The car is not my DD, just my weekend. I have no prob letting it sit. I have a dealer appointment tuesday. Gonna try to rig the pipe up this weekend for the drive to dealer.

Popping off the pipe is not rare, breaking the pipe on an n54 is somewhat rare. Dont let it stop you from getting the COBB...it was just apparently my chargepipe's time to go.

Upgraded will prevent this from happening in total, almost no matter what. The tune was awesome, ran flawlessly before the big pop, and i was on the non-aggresive stage 1 map, despite running 93 we have down here.

I will be keeping the COBB unless further incidents happen tune related.
      08-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

hehe you dont know what real problems are :-) just get a new stock one for free and enjoy your car.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #21
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:
The car is not my DD, just my weekend. I have no prob letting it sit. I have a dealer appointment tuesday. Gonna try to rig the pipe up this weekend for the drive to dealer.

Popping off the pipe is not rare, breaking the pipe on an n54 is somewhat rare. Dont let it stop you from getting the COBB...it was just apparently my chargepipe's time to go.

Upgraded will prevent this from happening in total, almost no matter what. The tune was awesome, ran flawlessly before the big pop, and i was on the non-aggresive stage 1 map, despite running 93 we have down here.

I will be keeping the COBB unless further incidents happen tune related.
Stay posted for my E85 results
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
hehe you dont know what real problems are :-) just get a new stock one for free and enjoy your car.
I dont wanna know, lol.

I know this was an easy fix problem (and was extremely easy for me to diagnose) the only real thing I mulled over was upgrading or getting a warranty fix and trying stock again...and then getting the car to the dealer (it is pretty damn low, even a flat bed tow could damage my car easily).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
Stay posted for my E85 results
Gonna take me a while to get to your level dude. Baby steps. Glad you didnt convince me to sell the daily... I told you having a daily came in handy